The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-25-2022, 05:47 PM

Default I feel dirty, sort of.

Carbon Fiber.
Love the stuff.
Love my X30, RainSong, and the Virtuo.

But I was screwing around in Guitar Center a while back, and found a 2008 Taylor 816CE.
It is the first non carbon guitar I've messed with that I really liked how it played and sounded.
As a result, my guitar ranking list has shuffled the X30 and Virtuo down a notch. Ooof. I feel terrible about it too.

My favorites to play are now as follows -

#1 RainSong
#2 816ce
#3 X30
#4 Virtuo
Old 09-25-2022, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

Ugh - gross.

I mean, I can see a wood guitar like a Martin or Collings... but a Taylor?!?

You should be ashamed of yourself. You better hope Captain Jim is out on his boat...

Last edited by Methos1979; 09-26-2022 at 06:53 AM.
Old 09-25-2022, 06:51 PM

oh boy here we go again...

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 09-25-2022, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
oh boy here we go again...

What did I miss?
Old 09-25-2022, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethWshBkr View Post
What did I miss?
Nothing worth discussing.
Old 09-25-2022, 08:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Ugh - gross.

I mean, I can see a wood guitar like a Martin or Collings... but a Taylor?!?

You should be ashamed of yourself. You better hope Captain Jim is out on his boat...
Ahem... the guitar that is traveling with us this trip out is... a Taylor (652ce Wild Honey Burst Builder's Edition). What can I say? I bought it a couple weeks before we left in June, so it is "the new kid." Next trip out, it will be an Emerald that goes along with us.

While I would shift the order of DethWshBkr's list, he is certainly entitled to his own ridiculous opinion. And for the record, I have never found a Martin I wanted to take home.
Old 09-25-2022, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post

While I would shift the order of DethWshBkr's list, he is certainly entitled to his own ridiculous opinion. And for the record, I have never found a Martin I wanted to take home.

What would you swap around, and why?

For me, the X30 is third because it's just so difficult to play. I cannot get the action to my liking. I've tried different strings, replaced the nut and bridge both with lower ones, only to have it buzz. Measured, the strings are a good bit higher than any other one I have. The StagePro I put in, makes it sound good. I like the thumpy bass and the ability to EQ it now, as well as the microphone pickup.

The Virtuo is 4th because acoustically, it sounds terrible. Even acoustically through a K&K Dual Channel preamp sounds only "decent". Playing it electric, different story. BUT, I wish Emerald sold a sound hole plug that would snap into place, and block the sound from the sound hole. Playability, I like it.

The RainSong is just a treat. The lightest of the bunch (almost too light sometimes....), Jumbo sound. Playability is GREAT, except if I'm trying to doodle stuff past the 14th. Plugged in, it leaves a lot to be desired. I don't like the Fishman piezo, but it's acceptable.

The Taylor....plays like the RainSong, but better up past the 14th with the cutaway. Pickup, I find the Taylor Expression system to be very satisfactory. The humidity thing is just a bunch of crap though. I don't like worrying about the humidity and having to acclimate it and TUNE IT NEARLY EVERY TIME!!!! But it sounds sweet and pleasing, whereas the RainSong has a more crystalline edge to the sound.

Last edited by DethWshBkr; 09-25-2022 at 10:50 PM.
Old 09-26-2022, 05:42 AM
Charter Member

DWB, I was just cracking a joke. We all like what we like. My guitar models are different from yours. I had a RainSong Shorty - liked it until I bought that first Emerald (a previous gen X7). The Emerald played better (even though I had a lowered bone saddle and a good set-up on the Shorty) and I prefer the sound. Sold the Shorty, mostly because the neck wasn't a great fit for me.

My Emeralds are: X7, X20, and X10. I have them set up for my preference, and each plays and sounds great. For playing enjoyment, that's the order I'd rank them. For acoustic sound, I'd move the X20 up to the top. Each is good plugged in.

My newest Taylor is a 12 string, but like my other Taylors, it is the most comfortable neck and best acoustic action. For me, the Taylors are the best fit and feel on the neck. Just for comparison sake, I have a Taylor T5, which is close to the premise of the Virtuo... sounds like crap acoustically, but the T5 was never meant to be "an acoustic" guitar. I do like the idea of the Fishman Fluence pickups on that Virtuo; I have those on an Epi SG that I got before Emerald came out with the Virtuo.

It's no secret that I like carbon fiber guitars, especially Emeralds. But I still have several Taylors that I have no intention of giving up. For my use, each of my guitars has a unique sound and purpose. Like a golfer picking the right club for their situation (I'm not a golfer, btw), each of my guitars could be "the top of the list" for a particular sound/use.

As active as I've been on this carbon fiber forum, I've joked about "sinning" when I get another wood guitar or even take some time off from daily playing. Enjoy the playing, without the guilt. CF or wood, it's all good.
Old 09-26-2022, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Nothing worth discussing.
yea pretty much.. LOL!

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 09-26-2022, 06:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Ahem... the guitar that is traveling with us this trip out is... a Taylor (652ce Wild Honey Burst Builder's Edition). What can I say? I bought it a couple weeks before we left in June, so it is "the new kid." Next trip out, it will be an Emerald that goes along with us.

SINNER!!! (In my best Dana Carvey 'Church Lady' voice.)

Out on the boat with a WOOD guitar? And freely admitted?!? Sacrilege! Blasphemy!! You're going to instigate a coup amongst those that look up to you as our leader of all things carbon fiber.

And for the few that might not be regulars here or recognise humor, my original post (and this one) are meant to be funny. The CF sub-forum is a fun group of people. Usually. I'll add some emojis to help.
Old 09-26-2022, 07:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Out on the boat with a WOOD guitar? And freely admitted?!? Sacrilege! Blasphemy!! You're going to instigate a coup amongst those that look up to you as our leader of all things carbon fiber.
I suspect this will result with Emerald cutting his pay or at least writing him up!

And what is it with these Taylors lately? I did't much care for them in the past, then a 324 Builders Edition followed me home !! Enjoy your 816 DWB, ANY new guitar is a good thing !!
Old 09-26-2022, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinaz View Post
I suspect this will result with Emerald cutting his pay or at least writing him up!

And what is it with these Taylors lately? I did't much care for them in the past, then a 324 Builders Edition followed me home !! Enjoy your 816 DWB, ANY new guitar is a good thing !!
As someone who owned 5 Emeralds over the years, eventually owning 3 at one time and NO wood guitars at all, then selling all three off for three wood guitars, I understand. And now I'm back to all CF again, albeit RainSongs. Go figure.

As for Taylor guitars, nearly every one I've ever played has sounded great and been a fine example of craftsmanship in the build and looks department. I just never could get along with their very thin necks as they tend to make my hand cramp up.

At a trip to Northern Lights this past winter I played dozens of really high end guitars and one of my favorites was a Taylor 900-something that was just fantastic. And even though new, the price tag was in many cases less than half of what some of the others I played.

Old 09-26-2022, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

Don't worry, DeathWish, it washes off easily...
Old 09-26-2022, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethWshBkr View Post
Carbon Fiber.
Love the stuff.
Love my X30, RainSong, and the Virtuo.

But I was screwing around in Guitar Center a while back, and found a 2008 Taylor 816CE.
It is the first non carbon guitar I've messed with that I really liked how it played and sounded.
As a result, my guitar ranking list has shuffled the X30 and Virtuo down a notch. Ooof. I feel terrible about it too.

My favorites to play are now as follows -

#1 RainSong
#2 816ce
#3 X30
#4 Virtuo
Biker, Congratulations, and IMHO there's nothing to feel terrible about as the Taylor 816ce is a beautiful-sounding and beautiful-looking guitar with plenty of tonal prowess and headroom--Enjoy! You will, however, have to appease us carbonites by buying another carbon guitar to make up for your affront to this forum!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 09-26-2022 at 08:02 AM.
Old 09-26-2022, 08:01 AM

Got to hand it to Taylor. They are doing a great job making wood guitars that come close to the sound of real carbon fiber.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber