The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-11-2022, 07:24 PM

Default Frank Vignola's Song System on Truefire

The inevitable rut hit me a few months ago. I've played fingerstyle blues for some years now and recently became competent... mind you, competent may not necessarily be good, but it is good enough (for now)!

My weak points are playing well with others/rhythm and improvising up the fretboard. I've tried learning some jazz techniques in the past, but the instructors rapidly get into the weeds. They essentially want you to learn the whole dictionary of notes and chords and all of their synonyms and antonyms first before learning any songs. Of course, Frank Vignola can also get down into the weeds too. The guy knows so much and I know so little.

But I like this course series and the techniques involved in it. First you learn the chord progression, then the melody solo and improv, then chord comping. There's a lot of play along and breaks to improvise within.

On day 1, I'm enjoying it and it makes me want to play more. Frank drops in a lot of info in each video and I'm hoping my brain will eventually grok it, but for now, with the speed set at 70% and the Vidami pedal at my feet, I'm playing along, making a lot of mistakes, but enjoying it.

Anyone else trying this set of lessons?

Rick
Old 09-16-2022, 07:10 AM
Charter Member

I'm a huge fan of Frank's courses on Trufire.

While I have not got into his song learning system yet, I have found that his 1-2-3 Jazz is a great way to jump in and get started with his materials.

D
Old 09-19-2022, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

I agree. Frank's method of teaching is friendly and his lessons are outstanding.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write