The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 04-29-2022, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

Default "You're Only Lonely" by JD Souther (cover)

JD Souther had a top-10 hit in the USA with "You're Only Lonely" back in 1979. My YouTube friend Mach Buffet from Australia suggested this song just recently after I covered Roy Orbison's "Pretty Woman." Both of these songs have that early 60s early rock-n-roll sound that is so easy on the ears. For guitar players I am playing mostly G, Em, C, & D, so it's not terribly hard for experienced players. I added other instruments because somehow this song seemed to sound better with added instruments and background vocals.

You'll notice that a piano comes in along with bass at the beginning of the 2nd verse. This is my first time accompanying a song on piano. The piano is an old Rhodes MK80 88-key weighted keyboard using midi to talk to a huge sample in my computer of a wonderful Steinway concert grand.

Also, I use my Fender Strat Pro II beginning at the 3rd verse with a very simple chord across the strings at the start of each measure. The amp is from Guitar Rig 6 and is a model of a Fender Deluxe Reverb with a little bit of tremolo.

I also added a shaker starting at the 2nd verse to provide a little percussion. I video recorded the shaker, but I never used the clip in the final video.

Thank you for listening!

- Glenn
Old 04-29-2022, 04:15 PM

Good job and good song.
I've played that song at a few jams before and it's like no one heard of it before.
Old 04-29-2022, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmonds View Post
Good job and good song.
I've played that song at a few jams before and it's like no one heard of it before.
Hi Edmonds,

Yes, I think it's entirely possible that I will not get much in the way of comments on this song, because I don't think a lot of people remember this song. I was well aware of JD Souther's songs back in 1979, especially those performed by Linda Ronstadt and the Eagles, so I paid attention, but I am probably not a typical listener.

Sometimes I just want to a record a song because I like it. If no one responds, well, that's okay. The thing about YouTube is that songs percolate over there. I have put up songs that got no response at first and yet later, the song has 2500 views and a 100+ thumbs up and I had no idea anything was happening while I wasn't looking. And some songs, no matter how good I think they are, never garner any attention. I have a bunch of those on my channel.

Thanks for taking time to listen and comment on my cover; it's greatly appreciated!

I hope all is well for you!

- Glenn
Old 04-29-2022, 05:01 PM

I remember this song from back in the day. Great job and a wonderful production. Crystal clear audio - sounds great in headphones too.

Thanks for sharing

Mike

https://www.youtube.com/user/1953MrEd
Old 04-29-2022, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEd View Post
I remember this song from back in the day. Great job and a wonderful production. Crystal clear audio - sounds great in headphones too.

Thanks for sharing

Mike
Hi Mike!

Thank you for watching and for your comments! I'm glad you remember this! Cool!

Thank you for your comments on the audio recording side of this. I am slowly learning how to do a cleaner and cleaner job of getting things recorded. It's very rewarding, and of course I am lucky to have some very nice equipment! I am very pleased that you noticed the quality -- thank you!

I hope you are doing well, Mike! I always appreciate hearing from you!

Be well and take care, Mike!

- Glenn
Old 04-30-2022, 08:37 PM

HI Glenn,
Another gem of a song!
Your vocals are truly nice and enjoyable.
Your productions are very professionally made.
Great job!
Rene
Old 04-30-2022, 09:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneAsologuitar View Post
HI Glenn,
Another gem of a song!
Your vocals are truly nice and enjoyable.
Your productions are very professionally made.
Great job!
Rene
Thank you Rene!

I really appreciate the kind words! I'm so pleased that you like what I did with this cover as well as so many of my other video covers. I certainly try my best, as I know you do.

I have been enjoying your video productions, too, Rene! I hope all is well for you!

Take care,
Glenn
Old 05-01-2022, 12:13 PM

Nice job! Enjoyed hearing that. It's been so long, I only kind of remember it.
Yea, J.D.Souther, Eagles, Chris Hillman, Linda Ronstandt era.

Also enjoyed your cover of Oh,Pretty Woman. Glad you're playing and making videos.
Thanks for sharing. Wishing you continued healing with your arm.
Old 05-01-2022, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westview View Post
Nice job! Enjoyed hearing that. It's been so long, I only kind of remember it.
Yea, J.D.Souther, Eagles, Chris Hillman, Linda Ronstandt era.

Also enjoyed your cover of Oh,Pretty Woman. Glad you're playing and making videos.
Thanks for sharing. Wishing you continued healing with your arm.
Thank you Westview!

I appreciate your kind comments!

Regarding "You're Only Lonely," I know exactly what you mean about "only kind of remember it." That's the way I remembered it, too, when it was suggested to me as a song to cover. Once I looked it up, I thought, Oh yeah, I always liked this...

I remember other songs from JD Souther better, even though he didn't sing them. He was a big influence on Linda Ronstadt -- even dated her for a while, I believe -- and he was a roommate and a bandmate of Glenn Frey of the Eagles at one time. He contributed a fair number of songs to the Eagles -- New Kid In Town, Heartache Tonight, Best of My Love, etc. He has also done some acting.

It's interesting: I like his voice better now that he is older. He has more depth in his vocal tone now, which I like. Below is an interesting video on his 2011 album "Natural History," an album where he covers a lot of his own hits sung by others, and also does a rework of "You're Only Lonely." I just recently purchased this album and am really enjoying it.

Thanks for your comments regarding my arm healing, too. I am doing better, but that partially torn muscle will take more time before it's fully healed. But it's not affecting my guitar playing, and for that I am very grateful.

Thank you for taking time to watch this cover video and for your comments! I really appreciate it! I hope you are doing well!

- Glenn
Old 05-01-2022, 01:28 PM

Hi Glenn,

I'm amazed how thoughtfully you make and how much care you put into your productions! Nice playing and great vocals, too!

jepper
Old 05-01-2022, 01:30 PM
Curiouser and curiouser

Glenn, everything you do is such high quality! The playing, the vocals, all of the accompaniment... and the audio/video production!

Well done, as always! Bravo!
Old 05-01-2022, 01:56 PM

Wonderful! And one of my al time faves, and now on my to-do list!
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 05-01-2022, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpazmandi View Post
Hi Glenn,

I'm amazed how thoughtfully you make and how much care you put into your productions! Nice playing and great vocals, too!

jepper
Hi Jepper!

Thank you! I must say, I have enjoyed your videos, too! So, thank you for your kind words of encouragement -- much appreciated!

I do care about what I put out, as I'm sure you do, too. I'm so pleased that you feel my efforts have been worth watching and commenting on!

I hope you are doing well! You take care, Jepper!

- Glenn
Old 05-01-2022, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGITM View Post
Glenn, everything you do is such high quality! The playing, the vocals, all of the accompaniment... and the audio/video production!

Well done, as always! Bravo!
Thank you GITM!

How nice of you to take time to watch and comment! I really do appreciate your kind comments.

Regarding these video productions of mine, I started working on these in 2016 the year I retired from full-time work and the next day after I stopped being a moderator here on the AGF. In my retirement I have had time to devote to this work, and I have learned a great deal over the last 5-6 years. I have also acquired some better equipment for audio and video recording. As you can imagine, learning this stuff is a fairly gradual process.

I have been very fortunate in having some resources and the right technical background so that this stuff had time to slowly sink in. And I was already a fairly seasoned guitar player.

I am very pleased that you feel this video came out well. Thanks so much for your encouragement! I have enjoyed your videos, as well!

- Glenn
Old 05-01-2022, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpa53 View Post
Wonderful! And one of my al time faves, and now on my to-do list!
Hi Paul,

Thanks so much. I am so glad I have inspired you to work on another song!

Over the years I have repeatedly noticed that you and I have very similar tastes in music. Your version of Noel Paul Stookey's "What's Her Name" or some of the Michael Johnson songs you have done are just a couple of examples. It's so very fascinating that we keep inspiring each other!

Thanks for taking time to watch and comment, Paul. I hope you are doing well!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell