The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-18-2022, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiddle Dee View Post
Ok that sounds like friction fit which is the common way it's done but this feels different. Maybe I'm just not twisting and pulling hard enough but I'm scared of using too much force. I looked inside with a mirror and flashlight and it looked like there was a screw or small bolt at the end of the pin. Anyway thanks for the reply.
I feel sure a competent tech could install a K&K Mini for you. My guy has run into stubborn endpins but always get them out. I don't blame you for not wanting too force it...but I hope you get some resolution to your issue? Best of luck!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 04-19-2022, 12:09 AM

How about the active systems like L.R.Baggs Anthem?
Old 04-19-2022, 12:30 AM

Hi,

there was a Fishman Sonitone in my Eastman as well and - oh boy! - had to be replaced asap. I bought a MiSi Trio Air, which I installed myself without drilling, soldering or gluying, which took round about 20 minutes.

That thing sounds great.

cu

erniecaster
Old 04-19-2022, 01:12 AM
Charter Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargelin View Post
Thank you for all the replies. Price is not an issue, I want to install the best possible system and have no rush.

Great questions. Probably most in open mics and noisy bars. I play mostly with pick, singer-songwriter style, some fingerpicking. Solo gigs or small combo, nothing too loud or demanding.
You basically have a J45. Well, there have been thousands of those gigged over the years in all types of venues using nothing more than a stage mic'. So I'd be inclined to try that first; you won't get a more natural solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiddle Dee View Post
I bought a K+K Pure mini with the intention of putting it in my E10SS but I couldn't figure out how to get the endpin out. There may be a screw on the inside that needs to come out first but I'm not sure. Anyway I ended up putting it in my Recording King instead. I'd would like to do it someday so if anyone knows how to remove the endpin on a 2012 Eastman E10SS could you let me know. Thanks
Only a few endpins are push fit, normally into a tapered hole. Most have an internal nut or sleave that has to be unscrewed. Some have a deep screw thread on the housing and are screwed into the hole, which is cut with a threaded reamer. And some have an external plate with 3 small screws.

Pull up "acoustic guitar endpin jack" on google images and compare what you have. Or, if you know what system was originally fitted, download the fitting instructions, which should tell you what fitting of endpin you have.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Last edited by Robin, Wales; 04-19-2022 at 03:10 AM.
Old 04-19-2022, 04:04 AM

My Martin came with the Anthem installed and my Loef came with the k&k pure mini. I also had the k&k in another acoustic and I plan to buy it again for the Eastman I just bought. It seems to me a very good system and with the Fishman Loudbox it works very well. The acoustic sound is very natural.

2023 Loef 00 13 fret
2018 Loef Dread SS 12 fret
1972 Yamaha FG-75 Red Label
2017 Kremona Romida rd-c
Old 04-19-2022, 04:53 AM

Quote:
How about the active systems like L.R.Baggs Anthem?
You can’t go wrong with the Anthem. I have the SL model in an Eastman E-15SS and it sounds great.

The K&K gets a lot of love and for good reason. You can go deep down the rabbit hole of many many different pick ups. But those two above are very popular and work very well.

The fact that Wade Hamilton has the same guitar with a K&K and is happy is solid gold. He is a long time, very well respected member and musician. His advice is always right on.
Old 04-19-2022, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
You basically have a J45. Well, there have been thousands of those gigged over the years in all types of venues using nothing more than a stage mic'. So I'd be inclined to try that first; you won't get a more natural solution.
I did some recordings on the weekend and out of my humble mic collection I liked the AKG D870 vocal mic the most. I'm sure it would work well soundwise, I'm just not sure I can be still for a whole set.
Old 04-19-2022, 08:37 AM

Thank you all for your replies, I've learned about the endpin thing too which I ddn't know I need to know, a cool bonus!

A local shop has K&Ks and L.R. Baggs in shop so I'll probably turn to them.

I see this as passive guitar+outboard preamp VS active guitar straight to console -thing. Maybe I would rather keep the guitar as tech-free as possible.
Old 04-19-2022, 09:01 AM

Quote:
So no industry standard or best of all worlds solution? The K&K Pure Mini looks tempting in it's simplicity but am I missing out on something with it?
No, not really. There's almost too many choices, and if you're not sure what you're looking for, well it can be a bit daunting because everyone who posts here will have their own favorite.

The formula changes for everyone,

what is the guitar in question, size matters especially with a K&K or other passive pickup.

what is the intended use case, going to a sound board, acoustic amp?

what kind of pre-amp is planned, too many to count.

it goes on and on and on...

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 04-19-2022, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

If you do buy a K&K mini:

Read the fitting instructions carefully; they are a bit of a jigsaw puzzle that you have to do upside-down and blindfold.

Think about your cable run coming off of each element.

And if you do use the recommended gel superglue attachment method. Don't take the hand you have been using to hold the elements in place out of the sound hole and rest your fingers on the guitar!

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 04-19-2022, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
No, not really. There's almost too many choices, and if you're not sure what you're looking for, well it can be a bit daunting because everyone who posts here will have their own favorite.

The formula changes for everyone,

what is the guitar in question, size matters especially with a K&K or other passive pickup.

what is the intended use case, going to a sound board, acoustic amp?

what kind of pre-amp is planned, too many to count.

it goes on and on and on...
The guitar is an Eastman slope shoulder dreadnought and I hope to find a solution that would work going straight into PA (with a preamp of some sort if needed) and into acoustic amp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
If you do buy a K&K mini:

Read the fitting instructions carefully; they are a bit of a jigsaw puzzle that you have to do upside-down and blindfold.

Think about your cable run coming off of each element.

And if you do use the recommended gel superglue attachment method. Don't take the hand you have been using to hold the elements in place out of the sound hole and rest your fingers on the guitar!
Yes, I can see that happening! I will probably let the shop do the job, I have zero experience with acoustics and don't want to practice on my new favorite!
Old 04-20-2022, 07:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thank you for all the replies. Price is not an issue, I want to install the best possible system and have no rush.

Great questions. Probably most in open mics and noisy bars. I play mostly with pick, singer-songwriter style, some fingerpicking. Solo gigs or small combo, nothing too loud or demanding.
I have an E01 SS CLA LTD that I love. I do singer songwriter material in bars. I've gone through every pickup type under the sun. What I use now is a Skysonic PRO1. It's a soundhole mag with a mic built in and a separate SBT that is easy to install that plugs into the mag unit. There's an internal 9V battery as well. The Mag has volume controls for all 3 pickups so you can vary the mix. Me, I turnoff the mic. And I run the mag and the SBT @ 80% volume. I love the sound of the system. I've installed them in 4 guitars. It sounds great amplified. There's some of that "Mag" sound in the mix. But it adds clarity. It handles stage volume with ease and gives a big full very clear sound.

I'm not a delicate finger-stylist. I sing loud and strong. I want a guitar that can partner up without sounding brittle and breaking up.
Old 04-20-2022, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erniecaster View Post
Hi,

there was a Fishman Sonitone in my Eastman as well and - oh boy! - had to be replaced asap. I bought a MiSi Trio Air, which I installed myself without drilling, soldering or gluying, which took round about 20 minutes.

That thing sounds great.

cu

erniecaster
My Eastman came with the Sonitone too. The ToneDexter did an excellent job of taming the clacky sound of the UST piezo. For a while I actually installed a couple Sonitones in 2 other guitars. But then I wanted a simple plug-and-play pickup for my travel guitar, a Taylor GS-Mini. So I tried a Skysonic Pro1. I was blown away with how big and clear that thing sounded plugged in. Ultimately I swapped out all my Sonitones for the Skysonic Pro1.

I see now K&K makes a Mag/SBT combination system. The Double Helix with a K&K Pure Mini. Seems like a bunch of guitar pros are going that way now (Molly Tuttle, Billy Strings). I'd consider giving it a try, but I'm happy with the Skysonic rig at a better price point.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification