The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-20-2021, 05:13 PM

Default TaylorSense Returns for Humidity Monitoring

TaylorSense appears to have been relaunched by Taylor Guitars. You will find the info you need here, except for the price and way to purchase.
https://www.taylorguitars.com/taylorsense

I’ve read reviews from the previous iteration that were hit or miss. I would be curious if anyone has jumped for the bee TaylorSense and could share a review?

Ibanez PF-15CE-MS 2003
Taylor 410-CE-L2 2003
Taylor 322e 12-Fret 2015
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa 2015
Taylor GS Mini-e Ltd Ovangkol 2019
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa Plus 2020
Taylor 414ce 2020
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Blue Sunburst - 2005

Previous Guitars:
Epiphone DR-100 2006 (est.)
Squier Bullet Blue 2006 (est.)
Taylor 414ce 2008 - RIP 2020
Fender CD-60CE SB-DS-V2 2013
Old 01-20-2021, 05:18 PM

So much competition in this space. Not sure why they would bother.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 01-20-2021, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
So much competition in this space. Not sure why they would bother.

D’Addario has “humiditrak” and Oasis has a digital tracker as well now. Seems to be the new rage.

If TaylorSense proves to be reliable, I will certainly purchase one, but I’m hoping to hear about recent experiences first.

I think this is a relaunch and I’m curious to know if the hardware/implementation is different/more reliable than before.

Ibanez PF-15CE-MS 2003
Taylor 410-CE-L2 2003
Taylor 322e 12-Fret 2015
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa 2015
Taylor GS Mini-e Ltd Ovangkol 2019
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa Plus 2020
Taylor 414ce 2020
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Blue Sunburst - 2005

Previous Guitars:
Epiphone DR-100 2006 (est.)
Squier Bullet Blue 2006 (est.)
Taylor 414ce 2008 - RIP 2020
Fender CD-60CE SB-DS-V2 2013
Old 01-27-2021, 12:07 PM

I'll definitely wait for testimonials, but if it works as advertised and is reliable, I'll probably install it on my Taylors. I especially like the shock monitoring and timestamp aspect. I have one Taylor that, once the pandemic ends, if I travel with a guitar it will be that one. And that info seems useful for insurance claims if needed.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 01-27-2021, 12:23 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

I had it installed in an 812e I had back when TaylorSense first came out. Worked fine. I traded in the guitar not long after that...so I don’t have any long term experience with it. I don’t know why they discontinued it after only a couple years...or why they’re reintroducing it now. Especially with all the current competition. Hopefully it’s significantly improved. But I’m happy with my Govees and own no Taylors. So doesn’t interest me.

Old 01-27-2021, 12:28 PM

While I know there are plenty of in-case humidity/temp products, what appeals to me about this is that it's an all in one, replaces the existing battery case that is already on a Taylor (so no need to add anything else in the guitar or case) and adds: 1) app functionality (so it notifies your phone), 2) shock/impact notification with timestamp.

I realize it won't appeal to all, but for a Taylor owner it's actually a fairly compelling product, assuming it works as advertised and is reliable. Jury's still out on that.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 01-27-2021, 12:48 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakewoodM32Fan View Post
While I know there are plenty of in-case humidity/temp products, what appeals to me about this is that it's an all in one, replaces the existing battery case that is already on a Taylor (so no need to add anything else in the guitar or case) and adds: 1) app functionality (so it notifies your phone), 2) shock/impact notification with timestamp.

I realize it won't appeal to all, but for a Taylor owner it's actually a fairly compelling product, assuming it works as advertised and is reliable. Jury's still out on that.
Yep, if you’re the owner of a Taylor you know you’ll keep for years or you have another Taylor to put it in later. The problem I had with it was that it wasn’t transferable. It’s installed in one guitar and stays there. I like the flexibility of having devices I can move from case to case...and that stay with me when I sell/trade a guitar. When I traded my Taylor that had the TaylorSense in it it didn’t add any value at all. The TaylorSense went bye-bye with the guitar and the loss was all mine

Old 01-27-2021, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
Yep, if you’re the owner of a Taylor you know you’ll keep for years or you have another Taylor to put it in later. The problem I had with it was that it wasn’t transferable. It’s installed in one guitar and stays there. I like the flexibility of having devices I can move from case to case...and that stay with me when I sell/trade a guitar. When I traded my Taylor that had the TaylorSense in it it didn’t add any value at all. The TaylorSense went bye-bye with the guitar and the loss was all mine
It's not transferable? What? That makes zero sense to me. When I owned a Taylor, I was looking for one of these...but now I'm glad they were discontinued. I'd never pay what they want for a TaylorSense unit if it meant that I'd lose it if I ever sold/traded the guitar down the line...
Old 01-27-2021, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

I installed a TaylorSense in my 414ce. It consistently showed the RH about 18% too high, compared to my 3 Planet Wave meters that always agree within 1% of each other, and the tuner function was useless.

Taylor customer support tried, but the two replacement units they sent had the same error. After installing the third, I gave up trying. They said I could return it for a refund, but besides wasting hours of time (installing, removing, installing, removing, and installing,) when the last one went in the internal clips that hold the wiring that have to be bent and re-bent felt ready to break. Plus, you have to take the fuse off of the original circuit board, and install it on the Taylor Sense, and after doing that 3 times the wires were bent, and I was worried that they could break, too.

The last email I got from Taylor Customer support (12/28/18) said that Taylor would be updating the program, but I never heard anything more. So I'm still out $80 for a product that didn’t work. IMO, it was a good idea, but a seriously flawed product. Maybe it’s better now, but based on my experience and my guitar tech’s advice, the D’Addario Humidtrak looks like a much better option. There’s no need to install it in the guitar, and it can be used with other cased guitars as needed. It’s also $30 cheaper.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 01-27-2021, 01:52 PM

Yes, my experience with cigars and guitars tells me without a doubt that if an expensive, good quality, Hygrometer is not user adjustable (can't be calibrated) it is utterly and completely useless. You can forget about any cheap hygrometers right from the start.

However, I found the Oasis hygrometer is actually not expensive, can be calibrated and holds it's calibration. Same for the Amazon look-a-like one.

That Taylor system look really cool though being built into the guitar like that. Hopefully they spent some time and money on the actual sensor, otherwise what's the point?
Old 01-27-2021, 02:45 PM

True enough, the old system had multiple problems not the least of which was that it was iOS only (basically eliminating at least half the market). This new one is supposed to be Andriod and iOS but it's a bit late for me as I have Humiditrak sensors in the cases now. I hope there are other improvements as it looks like a nice system and is basically invisible.

Still waiting on official pricing and a review (or 10) from actual user(s) of the new tech before I would even consider the purchase.
Old 11-04-2021, 11:22 PM

I installed one a couple days ago and it’s reading 6% higher than my old reliable hygrometer. They told me that is accurate because it’s reading the humidity in the wood body rather than on the outside. I’d like to take off the strings and lay the hygrometer inside to see. I think that’s what it will take to test it.
Old 11-05-2021, 12:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyd View Post
I installed one a couple days ago and it’s reading 6% higher than my old reliable hygrometer. They told me that is accurate because it’s reading the humidity in the wood body rather than on the outside. I’d like to take off the strings and lay the hygrometer inside to see. I think that’s what it will take to test it.
You can read my previous post, and a 6% dfference is better than the 18% higher I consistently got with the previous model. As the unit installs inside the guitar as an extension of the battery box, that’s probably where the RH sensor is, which makes sense if they say it’s reading the humidity in the wood body. How well that relates to the humidity in the top is questionable, and fret sprout occurs at the opposite end of the guitar. IMO a device located in the case, or accurate RH meters in the room or space where a guitar is kept out of the case make much more sense.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 03-19-2022, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seannx View Post
I installed a TaylorSense in my 414ce. It consistently showed the RH about 18% too high, compared to my 3 Planet Wave meters that always agree within 1% of each other, and the tuner function was useless.

Taylor customer support tried, but the two replacement units they sent had the same error. After installing the third, I gave up trying. They said I could return it for a refund, but besides wasting hours of time (installing, removing, installing, removing, and installing,) when the last one went in the internal clips that hold the wiring that have to be bent and re-bent felt ready to break. Plus, you have to take the fuse off of the original circuit board, and install it on the Taylor Sense, and after doing that 3 times the wires were bent, and I was worried that they could break, too.

The last email I got from Taylor Customer support (12/28/18) said that Taylor would be updating the program, but I never heard anything more. So I'm still out $80 for a product that didn’t work. IMO, it was a good idea, but a seriously flawed product. Maybe it’s better now, but based on my experience and my guitar tech’s advice, the D’Addario Humidtrak looks like a much better option. There’s no need to install it in the guitar, and it can be used with other cased guitars as needed. It’s also $30 cheaper.

The humiditraks I own are terrible at reporting accurate RH. Junk.
Old 03-19-2022, 10:53 PM

I know I will be in the minority here, but my guitars sit on a stand so I can play them. I've never measured humidity, but I know they sound better on some days than others. I'm not fixated on what the humidity is. I think that before the internet forums were popular that people owned guitars for decades and never gave humidity a second thought. I'm good with that approach.

If you have an expensive acoustic, then by all means do as you wish. I just think it will take a lot more stress than most imagine to damage a well-built guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion