The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-13-2022, 06:33 PM

Default Mic recommendations for Open Mic

I prefer the sound of the OM5 to the SM58 or Beta58, but I’ve been using the Shure mics just because of being able to get cheap eBay knockoff windscreen domes. Especially for an open mic. It is a really big deal to me to be able to replace the part that touches everyone’s mouths on a regular basis! Even if you don’t touch it with your mouth, there is that smell… I would get 57s or 58s because they sound decent and it changing out the windscreen dome regularly is so much easier and cheaper.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pack-Mic-...-127632-2357-0
Old 01-13-2022, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Sheep View Post
One could slip a (non-lubricated) condom over the mic for each singer and I expect the sound quality would be virtually unaffected and resistance to disease transmission even better than a foam filter.

Im just gonna leave that here to marinate for a bit. Because one could does not mean one should.
Old 01-13-2022, 08:35 PM

For sanitation, why not secure a Kleenex or something to it with a rubber band. Throw them away between singers (rubber gloves to handle them?) we use foam covers to combat wind, so I would not expect the sound to be compromised. Or is this too easy a solution?

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 01-14-2022, 07:37 AM

I have been using the foam 'wind filter' covers for my mics when I host open mics. Change between players, and wash them all in hot water and soap the next day. Of course, I am also requesting people bring their own mics, and 3/4 of the people do that these days - everyone wants to stay healthy.

When my main mic (SM58) broke on me (I guess a set screw fell out, and when I plugged in a cable, it wouldn't connect, and then could not get the cable out, it ended up pulling the whole connector capsule out, breaking wires), I bought another GLS ES-58 for $30 (I already had one as a second mic) from Amazon. Looks like right now they only have the models with switch for $40.
For sure they are not as rugged as Shures, but the sound is the same.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-14-2022, 11:46 AM

Default Mic recommendations for Open Mic

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
For sanitation, why not secure a Kleenex or something to it with a rubber band. Throw them away between singers (rubber gloves to handle them?) we use foam covers to combat wind, so I would not expect the sound to be compromised. Or is this too easy a solution?

This (posted earlier) is a pre-made, better version of that:

https://www.amazon.com/Microphone-Di...85&sr=8-6&th=1

It’s what I personally am using.
Old 01-14-2022, 02:31 PM

Thanks everyone I’ve ordered a Blue Encore 100 mic and a Behringer XM8500 which I’ve bought with some loyalty points I had at Andertons. I’ve also got the AKG D5 at home ready.

I’ve also ordered some of those disposable microphone covers which look a really good idea

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 01-16-2022, 03:32 AM

I've been running a regular open mic in the UK for a lot of years now. I quickly discovered that there's no such thing as the perfect mic for everyone.

In the early days I used 3 x Superlux Pro 248's. They are basically a good copy of a Shure SM58 Beta and used to cost around £20 on Amazon. They've doubled in price more recently but there are other brands (eg Pyle Pro and T Bone) that appear to be exactly the same. To my ears, they and the SM58 Beta they copy give a much clearer and more detailed sound than a basic SM58. So if I had to choose just one mic, the SM58 Beta and its clones would probably be the one.

These days, though, I tend to use mostly Sennheiser mics: the e935 and e945, with the Beta as a backup. I've reached the point where I know which mic works best for each performer. The e935 works especially well on women (and some men) who have a good voice to start with. The e945 gives much more of a presence lift to voices that need it.

One good thing about dynamic mics is that they're built like tanks and in all the years I've been using them, including the cheap ones, I've never had one fail!
Old 01-16-2022, 03:39 AM

Regarding sanitising mics, I recently purchased one of these. It's incredibly easy to use and allows you to sanitise the mics between performers:

https://youtu.be/Bj2vzanQlDk
Old 01-16-2022, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulchevin View Post
Regarding sanitising mics, I recently purchased one of these. It's incredibly easy to use and allows you to sanitise the mics between performers:

https://youtu.be/Bj2vzanQlDk

That would be fine between gigs for a regular performer, but I don’t see it being practical for an open mic with multiple performers sharing the same mic one after the other.
Old 01-16-2022, 05:31 PM

I use three Sennheiser 835's for my open mic, and have an SM58 as a backup. I also have a couple of Behringer XM8500s as backups to my backup!

The 835s and SM58 were purchased used for $50 ea. The XM8500s were purchased used for $10 ea. All are in excellent working condition.

IMO, based on the feedback I get on sound quality, they are more than adequate for the task.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 01-17-2022, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
That would be fine between gigs for a regular performer, but I don’t see it being practical for an open mic with multiple performers sharing the same mic one after the other.
It works fine if you have more mics than the number of performers you have on stage at any one time, which I do. Also, an increasing number of my regulars bring their own mic these days.
Old 01-17-2022, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
I have been using the foam 'wind filter' covers for my mics when I host open mics.
At my open mics I ask people to either bring their own mics or a foam filter. If they don't have a foam filter, I'll supply one and ask them to throw a buck in the tip jar. I buy them on Amazon forty at a time for less than $15.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
When my main mic (SM58) broke...I bought another GLS ES-58 for $30
The Behringer XR8500 is a close second to the SM58, and they sell for $19.90 at Sweetwater.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 01-19-2022, 04:10 AM

Another vote for the Behringer XM8500. I have used them side by side with SM58s several times, and every time they have proved to be better sounding and more feedback resistant. I now have 5, and have outfitted 2 churches with them as well with excellent results.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification