The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-02-2020, 01:22 AM

Hey Chriscom,
Thanks so much for the detailed reply. It looks as even though both systems look pretty much alike, they are very different and each has its place according to its application, so to speak. That room looks like a bugger to play.

I’ve been playing in rock bands most of my life and I’ve lost 6db in my right ear. Doc says the inner ear bones have calcified and don’t move freely like they should, so I know that has a lot to do with my perception of sound and volume.

I guess at this point I should just be happy with what I’ve got. Always been my own worse critic. I should pay attention to those who matter most and that’s those who pay me to play. Hah.

Thanks again. I really appreciate it.
Takamine EF381SC
EV Evolve 30M x 2
QSC K8.2’s
QSC CP8
Old 02-02-2020, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
Just because the Bose may not sound especially loud to you behind the mike doesn't mean the people in the back of the audience cannot hear it clearly.
That makes sense. Since I’m wireless, I’ll wander out into the crowd a bit at times and think “yuck”. I think I’ll start relying on others’ ears more regarding coverage.

Thanks for the input. I hope I haven’t derailed this thread too much.
Takamine EF381SC
EV Evolve 30M x 2
QSC K8.2’s
QSC CP8
Old 02-02-2020, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin'Robin View Post
So far the best column system that I tried has been the Evox Jmix8. Perfect sound, great detail, lots of inputs and full featured mixer. But it is on the big and heavy side, too much for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpino View Post
Fishman SA330X: 19.8lbs (column) + 6.7lbs (stand) + 6.5lbs (dlx bag)= 33lbs on roller wheels + 30lbs (sub w/ sub accessories & slip) free carry/no wheels = 63lbs total. $30 (Sub slip cover) + $150 (Deluxe carry bag on wheels) + $400 (SA sub) + $800 (SA330X) = $1380 not to mention if you want more then 2 channels add the $180 SA expander = potential $1560.

EV Evolve 30M: 34.9lbs (sub) + 5-10lbs?(deluxe bag) for sub on wheels + 11lbs (column, poles, bag) as a backpack = 50-55lbs total. $1300 (EV 30M) + $200 (Deluxe wheel case) = $1500.
I often use 2 RCF Evox8 and they weight 50lbs each in a single bag that carrys the sub, the top, the stand and the cables. In comparison not so heavy and just one bag.
They are really powerful and sound great. Twice I extended them with addidtional subs for open airs with an audience of (believe it or not) 400. OK, acoustic band but with drums and double bass (that thing needs some power).
It's by far the smallest but best PA I ever had.
Old 02-02-2020, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogueacoustic View Post
Hey Chriscom,
Thanks so much for the detailed reply.... It looks as even though both systems look pretty much alike, they are very different and each has its place according to its application, so to speak. That room looks like a bugger to play.
Quite welcome. FWIW if you look at that photo of the bar and see those rails going up the right side and arcing to the ceiling---those are rolling windows that go up like a garage door, opening to a much larger and wider patio used when it's not so cold. That's where the wider dispersion might come in handy, even though I expect the 30M for example has plenty enough volume to handle the space. I also wonder how many customers have noticed or cared about PAs of all types with less dispersion.

Good luck with the ear!
Old 02-06-2020, 11:23 AM

Any updates on this unit? Super close to pulling the trigger but have yet to hear a single review on using this puppy live...acoustic/vox or more. Really wanting to learn about the quality of the effects (reverb) and feedback issues in small spaces...many venues I play I'll be right in front of the PA. Thank for any updates👍👍
Old 02-06-2020, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willymartin View Post
Any updates on this unit? Super close to pulling the trigger but have yet to hear a single review on using this puppy live...acoustic/vox or more. Really wanting to learn about the quality of the effects (reverb) and feedback issues in small spaces...many venues I play I'll be right in front of the PA. Thank for any updates����
Still no Sweetwater reviews but there are now six on the Guitar Center site. These can be gamed, but I still think they are at least a guide. They're all positive (some are like one-line positive); one user says "I took it for a test run in an acoustic worship setting with 75 people in the audience. Two vocals, Acoustic Guitar, auxiliary percussion, keyboard and background pads and this thing was perfect. It ran the room around 85db...."

I too would like to see feedback comments. Of course what we're really waiting for is AGF experiences.

Edit: AGF'er CVMatt247, the OP, was gonna report back after gigging with it, so I'm sure we'll hear from him at some point.
Old 02-06-2020, 05:15 PM

[QUOTE=Chriscom;6285473]Still no Sweetwater reviews but there are now six on the Guitar Center site. These can be gamed, but I still think they are at least a guide. They're all positive (some are like one-line positive); one user says "I took it for a test run in an acoustic worship setting with 75 people in the audience. Two vocals, Acoustic Guitar, auxiliary percussion, keyboard and background pads and this thing was perfect. It ran the room around 85db...."

Very true! "These can be gamed"! One of the reviewers said he bought the unit based on many online reviews...of which I cannot find a single one! Haha!😂
Old 02-06-2020, 06:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
Just because the Bose may not sound especially loud to you behind the mike doesn't mean the people in the back of the audience cannot hear it clearly.
Good call. When I first began using the Bose S1 I had to adapt to covering a room well at much lower volume than I'd been accustomed to with a traditional amp or PA.
Old 02-07-2020, 01:14 PM

I stopped by the local GC to check out the new EV 30M. This post is not intended to be a review or a comparison, it is just a FWIW comment. I currently use a Bose L1C and have long been thinking about moving up to something with more power, better sound, and a built in mixer. At first the GC associate played some acoustic rock music through the 30M, I was impressed with how loud it got, but really couldn't tell how good it would sound for what I do, so I asked if I could run a Taylor guitar through it. I normally play a Taylor 914 and I find the pickup in it to be very harsh and brittle sounding through my Bose L1C. The GC associate brought me a 714 and I thought it sounded wonderful through the 30M. The sound was very smooth and full and I didn't feel like it had that brittle highs on top, muddy lows on bottom, and nothing in between sound. I really liked the ability to adjust the sub volume and the sub seemed to make the low notes sound crisp, yet connected to the mids. I did not do a side-by-side comparison of the 30M to the L1C and this 714 might just have a better sounding pickup in it, but it did sound wonderful to my ears. In fact, several people stopped by to see what I was playing because they said it sounded so good. I did not test a vocal mic through it (although I've been singing in front of crowds for years, there's something about singing in front of the GC crowd that intimidates me). Anyway, I remain quite interested in the 30M and look forward to someone doing an actual review and comparison for the 30M to a L1C.
Old 02-07-2020, 01:22 PM

One more note to add to my comment above. Although I really liked the sound of the 30M and it checks a lot of boxes for me, it does lack one key feature that I think is very important to an acoustic guitar player. I does not have a parametric eq, not even a sweep mid like I believe the 50 has. With a digital mixer and an iphone app, I would expect to see a full parametric eq.
Old 02-07-2020, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimAltendahl View Post
One more note to add to my comment above. Although I really liked the sound of the 30M and it checks a lot of boxes for me, it does lack one key feature that I think is very important to an acoustic guitar player. I does not have a parametric eq, not even a sweep mid like I believe the 50 has. With a digital mixer and an iphone app, I would expect to see a full parametric eq.
Thanks for all those details, this is the kind of thing we are (or at least I am) looking for.

Edit: Does the 50 have a sweep mid? Or perhaps I misunderstand the term. I have the app on my Android, and all I see is a Sub level db setting and then similar controls for Bass, Mid, Treble. I mean the 50 is "just" a PA, right? With no mixer.
Old 02-08-2020, 04:38 PM

So, obviously I'm super worried about feedback with this unit based on the fact that NO advertisement addresses this issue. (Tight spots everywhere I look in my world) Most of these units will mention a notch filter or some type of anti-feedback measure. I sent a message to EV expressing my concerns...the reply:

Hi Willy, thanks for the message. We've raised this and we'll get back to you once we know more. - Alan, Electro-Voice Team.

Hmmm..i definitely appreciate their quick response but should I be concerned that they don't even have a canned answer?
Old 02-08-2020, 05:18 PM

Feedback is always concern regarding these systems if one uses it behind them for monitoring purposes. I’ve had difficulty with my Bose, but have been able to notch out the offending mic to where it’s basically non-existent.

What I’m basically looking for out of either Evolve is more mid punch and headroom along with volume which the Bose lacks. What I’m afraid of is that the more “punch” is going to create even more feedback issues.
Takamine EF381SC
EV Evolve 30M x 2
QSC K8.2’s
QSC CP8
Old 02-08-2020, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogueacoustic View Post
What I’m afraid of is that the more “punch” is going to create even more feedback issues.
This is exactly my fear. More punch in tight spaces. I've actually had very good luck with my L1M2B2 in tight spaces. The Bose has been the perfect unit for me..cuts through my band perfectly and handles the tight solo gigs. It's the 5 bags (including mixer) and the six cables to get going that is getting old. The ev...a plug, two cables and my mixer is on my phone...too good to be true??! But...before I dish the $$ I gotta be sure feedback isn't a constant battle..
Old 02-10-2020, 11:15 AM

Just wanted to post a reply from EV on feedback prevention on the evolve ev30m:

Hi Willy, EVOLVE 30M is well equipped to control feedback:

· INPUT presets for instruments or mics – adjust the EQ to get rid of unwanted frequencies that may contribute to feedback.

· Every channel has a three-band EQ that can be used to help fight against feedback.

· MAIN output has a seven-band EQ that allows more control and can help with feedback.

· Our waveguide-formed 120-degree horizontal dispersion is very even and flat across all frequencies which means problem frequencies (i.e. peaks) are less likely exist in the first place.

· The wide and even 120-degree horizontal dispersion also means that, when the size of the venue permits, you can position yourself further to the side and rotate the mic so that the speaker is placed in the rejection pattern of the microphone.

Especially when it comes to experiencing the full-bandwidth horizontal coverage, we always recommend that customers visit a retail store and try the system out.
-Konstantinos, Electro-Voice Team.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification