The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-27-2018, 02:28 AM

Default Fishman Matrix Infinity Mic Blend Reviews

Looking to build my own acoustic guitar later this year at a course on the Gold Coast here in Australia. I'm planning to install a decent pick up in it, and have been tossing up between the LR Baggs Tru Mic Anthem, and the previous model Matrix Infinity from Fishman.
I've come across this new version of the Mic Blend and can't find much in the way of reviews just yet, I'm guessing it really hasn't hit the market just yet.
This is the only video I've been able to find so far, from Peghead Nation, but if anyone else has found anything please post them up.
Thank in advance.

2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar

Last edited by Zandit75; 07-15-2018 at 05:59 PM.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:43 AM

I’m also curious about this system.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

* This looks and sounds good, I watched Teja's demo vid and liked it...I have the F1AP Matrix in my Martin 000-18e Retro and like it a lot. My good friend has a D-18 with the newer Ellipse Blend which is a Matrix with a short stubby mic vs the older version with the longer gooseneck which flopped around too much. The newer short mic in the Ellipse Matrix Blend sounds very good when I tested and tweaked my friends D-18 thru a Loudbox Artist.

** So now with this newest version that has a swivel mic, mid-scoop/tone, bass boost and lighter looking module, it really looks to be a fine system. However, I did like the on board phase switch the Ellipse has, tho it doesn't have the bass boost like the VT Blend...I'd rather have the on-board phase personally for quick feedback zapping, bass boosting or cutting for a particular size guitar is something you can set and forget on your amp, the phase switch option is more handy on stage imo.

*** All that being said, I like the mid-scoop tone control (my F1AP has it too) and the swivel mic mount better on the newer VT Matrix Blend.

Worth looking into, being an already historically good system that seems to have some nice improvements!

eric
Old 04-27-2018, 07:08 PM

When I saw the blend announced, my radar went ping, ping, ping!

I didn’t want to be the first to get one but it is a serious contender for guitars that you don’t want to alter too much. I wonder how much weight all that stuff adds?

Hmm, I love dual source with mic!

BluesKing777.
Old 04-28-2018, 06:40 AM
Charter Member

I would be interested in your thoughts about the tradeoffs between 'new'
Rare Earth Blend vs the Matrix Infinity Blend. Anybody? Thanks.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:23 AM

But if you already use an Aura Spectrum DI with the Matrix Infinity (my personal setup) then the mike blend is irrelevant as the Spectrum DI is specifically designed to recreate the sound of a miked up guitar.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 04-28-2018, 11:24 AM

I'd be very interested in a side by side test with the Infinity Mic Blend and an LR Baggs Anthem....
Dazzo 70's & SunnAudio Stage DI
Old 05-02-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibbyPrague View Post
But if you already use an Aura Spectrum DI with the Matrix Infinity (my personal setup) then the mike blend is irrelevant as the Spectrum DI is specifically designed to recreate the sound of a miked up guitar.
Can I resurrect this? I have a D35 with the matrix and I now use an Aura Spectrum with it, but I've been thinking about going with a mic blend and would appreciate any in put. I suppose it comes down to how good is the mic, along with the placement of it.
When I saw Teja's review I was leaning toward trying a ToneDexter. I've even thought of using an Ear Trumpet Edwina because I like having more control over the dynamics. I don't dislike the Aura but if I can get a better sound I'd like to.

Also, GibbyPrague, you could run this stereo and run the pup signal through the Aura. Wonder what that mix would sound like?

Last edited by Peterdoubt; 05-02-2018 at 04:13 PM.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterdoubt View Post
Can I resurrect this? I have a D35 with the matrix and I now use an Aura Spectrum with it, but I've been thinking about going with a mic blend and would appreciate any in put. I suppose it comes down to how good is the mic, along with the placement of it.
When I saw Teja's review I was leaning toward trying a ToneDexter. I've even thought of using an Ear Trumpet Edwina because I like having more control over the dynamics. I don't dislike the Aura but if I can get a better sound I'd like to.

Also, GibbyPrague, you could run this stereo and run the pup signal through the Aura. Wonder what that mix would sound like?
I have this system on pre order. My plan is to use it with the blend mic whenever I am playing somewhere with a low volume requirement, or when I need to plug in directly. When I play on a louder stage, I will roll the mic blend off and run through the Aura Spectrum.
Old 05-03-2018, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I have this system on pre order. My plan is to use it with the blend mic whenever I am playing somewhere with a low volume requirement, or when I need to plug in directly. When I play on a louder stage, I will roll the mic blend off and run through the Aura Spectrum.
Post back with your review, Dave. I take it it's gong on your Martin - which model?
Old 05-03-2018, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Post back with your review, Dave. I take it it's gong on your Martin - which model?
It’s back ordered for at least another week, so it will be a few weeks before I have anything to share. I have a Custom a Shop Martin HD-28V with Adi top and GE bracing that it will be going in. I currently have the long saddle modified to accept the Fishman Matrix Infinity, which I’ve been using with some reasonable success. So, this is basically a preamp swap and some double sided tape for the mic. I’ve also used the LR Baggs Lyric mic in the same guitar, so I should be able to offer anecdotal comparison. I probably won’t be in a position to do any recordings, however.
Old 05-03-2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
It’s back ordered for at least another week, so it will be a few weeks before I have anything to share. I have a Custom a Shop Martin HD-28V with Adi top and GE bracing that it will be going in. I currently have the long saddle modified to accept the Fishman Matrix Infinity, which I’ve been using with some reasonable success. So, this is basically a preamp swap and some double sided tape for the mic. I’ve also used the LR Baggs Lyric mic in the same guitar, so I should be able to offer anecdotal comparison. I probably won’t be in a position to do any recordings, however.
Sounds like a sweet guitar. My original D35 was one of the last Brazilians from early 1969. I was living next to the studio I was working and recording at and I used to bring people over for lunch or whatever and I suspect it was one of them who broke in and stole all my gear. They could've had it all if they'd just left me that one. I was stupid and didn't have renter's insurance - took me a long while to replace with a 1983 anniversary model. It's aged well but it's not the same.

Hope you'll give your initial reaction anyway. Happy New Gear early : )
Old 05-03-2018, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Sounds like a sweet guitar. My original D35 was one of the last Brazilians from early 1969. I was living next to the studio I was working and recording at and I used to bring people over for lunch or whatever and I suspect it was one of them who broke in and stole all my gear. They could've had it all if they'd just left me that one. I was stupid and didn't have renter's insurance - took me a long while to replace with a 1983 anniversary model. It's aged well but it's not the same.

Hope you'll give your initial reaction anyway. Happy New Gear early : )
That is a dang shame, Peterdoubt, that must have hurt pretty bad.

Thought I'd add I have great interest in Martingitdave's report. I have a nifty Martin GPRS1 for my gig guitar but I hate the Sonitone in it and need to do something, I'm just not sure what.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Sounds great, look forward to hearing your opinion on the new unit!
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 05-04-2018, 03:27 AM

Quote:
That sounds like a great idea! Keen to hear your thoughts after installation....
Dazzo 70's & SunnAudio Stage DI

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification