The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-09-2020, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPH View Post
Cool I haven't tried an Evolve yet. I had an L1C. Liked the minimalist look of it a lot. Also thought it sounded pretty good. However, I sent it back a month after getting it and replaced with the SA330x. I like onboard reverb too.

I just ordered the S1 and Yamaha Stagepas 1k today to ad some more versatility to my line up for various venues. Feels like it's time. I haven't bought any equipment since I bought the SA330x in March 2017. Looking forward to putting the S1 and 1K to work on some gigs. Depending on how I like the two new PAs after some use in the field, I might sell the Fishman or just keep all three. I've heard great things about the Evolve PA. Enjoy!
When you get the S1, update the firmware. Through a computer is WAY faster than through the app. That will make a huge difference in the battery's ability to retain a charge when it's not used for a while.
Old 03-09-2020, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPH View Post
I just ordered the S1 and Yamaha Stagepas 1k today to ad some more versatility to my line up for various venues. Feels like it's time. I haven't bought any equipment since I bought the SA330x in March 2017. Looking forward to putting the S1 and 1K to work on some gigs. Depending on how I like the two new PAs after some use in the field, I might sell the Fishman or just keep all three. I've heard great things about the Evolve PA. Enjoy!
I will be interested in hearing about the Stagepas 1K. Stagepas was on my list as well however I decided to go with 30M. What I like about the 1K (at least on paper) - Frequency range 37Hz - 20KHz and 12 inch sub and it has the ability to use no extension poles.
Old 03-10-2020, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
I use the both the S1 and the Compact. Since I don't use pickups, I knew from the start I'd need to use a mixer with the Compact. Since the mixer is there anyhow, I also use it when there are 1 or 2 others in addition. Works fine and gets unsolicited compliments. You can always hear it without it sounding loud. Please really like that. (No, I don't use it at bars.)
Makes sense to me. I will readily admit, during the month I gigged with one, I was very impressed with the way the L1C puts sound into a room without ever seeming overly loud. Very comfortable listening for the front row. In fact it was strange to me after being used to performing through systems that do seem somewhat loud when I turned them up. When using the L1C I found myself asking people in the back "can you hear the mix back there"? To my surprise they always answered yes. Weird... It does what Bose says it does...

I got a lot of compliments on the L1C too. But I also get regular compliments on sound using Fishman SA amps. I don't drench my tone in reverb, in fact I only use reverb for a few songs in my set typically. But, if the acoustics in a given room sound muffled to me then I'll add a touch of reverb to the mix for the whole performance. So it's good to have it available when I want it. I've often wondered why Bose just doesn't include some simple onboard reverb with the L1C. Even if that feature bumped up the price, I feel like their already good sales would increase substantially once word spread around.

It's a fine system IMO, and I didn't decide to send it back lightly. I'd already been through two of the SA220s by the time I bought the L1C. So I was quite familiar with the warmth and natural tone of the Fishman SA amps. The familiar tone and onboard reverb of Fishman led me to buy the 330x and return the Bose. IMO the Bose L1C and the Fishman 330x are both very nice but very different sounding PAs. In terms of tone, metaphorically speaking, it just really depends if apples are your favorite or if oranges are your favorite.

Lastly, I just ordered the S1 and I'm really looking forward to trying out. It has everything I wish the L1C had. I can see why you bought both. Together I think they cover all the bases I'm talking about.

Last edited by JPH; 03-10-2020 at 04:04 AM. Reason: S1
Old 03-10-2020, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
When you get the S1, update the firmware. Through a computer is WAY faster than through the app. That will make a huge difference in the battery's ability to retain a charge when it's not used for a while.
Thank you for the heads up! I'll make sure I use a computer. Do I need a special type of cable for that?

When I did updates on the ditto x2 loop station I found the computer to be WAY faster as well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification