The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-23-2003, 03:08 PM

Default DM Alchemy - GoldPhos v GoldBronze

OK,

I finally got a hold of these strings. I put on my 'M' guitar...The GoldPhos were my first shot.

I pretty much hated the sound. It muddied everything up. Although it was loud as heck. Plus, it sounds real nice finger picked. But as soon as I pulled out that plectrum...it just sounded...well...poopy.

After a week of playing with it strung up with the Phos and hoping it would settle in, I got frustrated and put on the GoldBronze. And wouldn't you know it...I love the sound of them strummed. but now I'm missing the way the GoldPhos sounded when I fingerpick!!!

Anyway, I know Tayloresque loves these strings. My report -- I am left feeling a little wanting. I may have to go back to the trusty old Martin Marquis for this particular guitar...but I'll leave the GoldBronze on until I just can't take it any more.
Old 01-23-2003, 04:24 PM

I'm using the GoldPhos on my 314kce, which tends to be a little bright anyway, so I think the GoldPhos balance the tone well.

What are folks using on the cedar-topped or rosewood models? GoldBronze?
Old 01-23-2003, 04:27 PM

I neglected to mention...my results were on a guitar with a Mahogany top.

GoldBronze + Mahogany = Good.
GoldPhos + Mahogany = No good.
Old 01-24-2003, 06:22 AM
Anticipation Junkie

You're right rhinollc, I like the Alchemys quite a bit -- for my 814c. On another guitar, I might not like them. I have the GoldPhos on right now, but will try the GoldBronze next. After disliking the original Elixir Nanos that came on the guitar, I tried Martin SPs (not the SP+) that always sounded so good on my old Ibanez. The SPs sounded like crap on my 814c. IMO. the right string is specific to a particular guitar (body style and tonewoods) and one's own ear.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification