The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-31-2002, 11:34 AM

Default Carlo Robelli Elite

Well, I returned the Carlo 615CE knock-off and upgraded (courtesy of a gift certificate from my bro) to a very sweet Carlo Robelli Elite dreadnought.

It had been set up by one of the guitar freaks in the store to play like an electric and it has nice solid sitka top and nice solid rosewood(!) back and sides. It sounds really sweet and beat out a Martin DX1 (which has a sitka top so "figured" that it looked "disfigured") for tone and playability. Of course resale value will be nothing, but then again, I don't intend to sell it!

I'll post pics soon.

Comes with a decent HSC for $499.

(My "Florida" guitar.)
Old 12-31-2002, 11:47 AM

Joe, I've seen the model you're talking about, all solid Sitka and rosewood, made in Vietnam. I posted about it a while back, and as I said there, I was pretty impressed by the wood and build quality, but reluctant to pull the trigger. But considering that it was set-up-able, I'll be interested to see how it works for you down the road. Keep us posted.
Old 12-31-2002, 02:40 PM

Yup, Chris, this is what you had been looking at. There is also a nice mahogany topped cutaway version, but they didn't have one yesterday.

Some pics if anyone is intersted:

http://homepage.mac.com/musicandlight/PhotoAlbum26.html

The CR jumbo was OK, but THIS is a surprisingly nice guitar.
Old 01-24-2003, 07:54 AM

Meridian, you sparked my interest on these guitars and I checked out my local Sam Ash and they had the spruce/rosewood dread in stock. The dreads are a little big for me, but after strumming and pickin' at it for a little, I was very pleased and most of all surprised. Then I looked at the price tag and almost fell off the stool! The build quality was precise and tight too.

After I got home I went to the SA website and saw that they had several models included a Grand something. It looked like a concert. solid spruce top with mahogany b/s for a very good price. I've been looking for a "beater". Something I could keep in my car during work and not worry if it got damaged etc, but something with a decent tone. This one may fit the bill.

If anyone has one of these CR Elites, how are they holding up? Any problems yet?
Old 01-24-2003, 10:38 AM

If you want something to leave in your car, these guitars wouldn't be good candidates because they're all solid wood, and temp extremes will probably damage them just as a Taylor would be damaged. An all laminate guitar would be a much better choice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification