The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-14-2022, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

Default Snap, Crackle and pop, from my output jack?

My Martin GP28e has a Fishman Matrix VT Enhance. It was sitting in the store for 4 years and I've had it for 9 months. I don't use the pickup very often. It's about 2 or 3 weeks since the last time I plugged it in. Yesterday it started popping and crackling, even when it's sitting on a stand.

I tried another cable, but right now I don't have another guitar here with a pickup to try. I'm going to Long Island for a few day tomorrow and I'll bring back another guitar with a JJB to test but I think it's the guitar not the LB Mini.

What do you think, what's going on here.
Old 01-14-2022, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
My Martin GP28e has a Fishman Matrix VT Enhance. It was sitting in the store for 4 years and I've had it for 9 months. I don't use the pickup very often. It's about 2 or 3 weeks since the last time I plugged it in. Yesterday it started popping and crackling, even when it's sitting on a stand.

I tried another cable, but right now I don't have another guitar here with a pickup to try. I'm going to Long Island for a few day tomorrow and I'll bring back another guitar with a JJB to test but I think it's the guitar not the LB Mini.

May well be simple oxidation: that was the problem with mine. Get a can of DeOxit, spray into the jack, slide the cable in and out a few times. Maybe repeat a time or two if needed. This may not be it, but it's an easy step to go through before replacing the jack or opening it up and messing around with the internal connections.
Old 01-14-2022, 05:33 PM

could be the volume and tone controls too, like Paleolith said spray deoxit on them and work them back and forth. I had the snap crackle and pop on an electric mandolin, and sprayed deoxit and it worked like a charm
Old 01-14-2022, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

Thanks, I just ordered Deoxit from Amazon. I’ll try it when it arrives.
Old 01-15-2022, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Does the entire jack assembly have a bit of wiggle to it? This happened to me on one of my Martins with their new at the time endpin/battery/strap-button assembly. This was 7 or 8 years ago and IMHO it was a bad design but maybe the design has been improved since then? As I recall, my solution at the time was to take the assembly apart and install an extra nut inside to tighten the jack-barrel against the guitar's endblock instead of having just a nut tighten the jack-barrel against an inner plastic wall of the housing as it was designed. Was it a bad design by Martin or being that there was enough space for me to install a nut on the jack to tighten against the endblock, could another conclusion be that this nut was mistakenly omitted during assembly at Martin?
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 01-15-2022 at 11:18 AM.
Old 01-15-2022, 11:06 AM

Regarding the DeOxit.... an excellent cleaner and lube, but does come out of the spray tube quickly and sometimes gets on places not wanted. It takes very little to accomplish cleaning, more is not necessarily better. If spraying something on the guitar such as the controls, place a cloth around them so as to shield what you don't want the spray to get on. I don't know if the DeOxit could damage a guitar finish.
Wipe down the plugs on the cable with DeOxit on a paper towel or cloth. The cable plugs can get a buildup of finger oils and salts from handling which can prevent a good connection.
Old 01-15-2022, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for all the advice. I cancelled the order this morning, because it was going to take too long to get here. I have to re-order to the Upstate address. Unless I can just pick it up on Long Island. We have every type of shopping here,

where would I go to pick DeOxit up?
Old 01-15-2022, 01:41 PM

Quote:

My Om28E does exactly that. When the battery is exhausted.
Old 01-16-2022, 06:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe.Manganese View Post
My Om28E does exactly that. When the battery is exhausted.
Thanks, that's interesting. I'm away from the guitar right now but I'll be returning with the contact cleaner and a new battery.

I'm also bringing my other guitar and my other amp. I'll get to the bottom of this!
Old 01-16-2022, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Does the entire jack assembly have a bit of wiggle to it? This happened to me on one of my Martins with their new at the time endpin/battery/strap-button assembly. This was 7 or 8 years ago and IMHO it was a bad design but maybe the design has been improved since then? As I recall, my solution at the time was to take the assembly apart and install an extra nut inside to tighten the jack-barrel against the guitar's endblock instead of having just a nut tighten the jack-barrel against an inner plastic wall of the housing as it was designed. Was it a bad design by Martin or being that there was enough space for me to install a nut on the jack to tighten against the endblock, could another conclusion be that this nut was mistakenly omitted during assembly at Martin?
Lowrider, I take it your Martin's output jack is tight and not wiggling when you press sideways on the inserted 1/4" plug on your instrument cord? Another possibility is that the screw-on end cap of the jack has come loose and has back-off a bit from its tightened location on the input jack's barrel. If so, this will cause intermittent contact as the instrument cord can no longer seat properly all the way into the jack.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 01-16-2022 at 11:27 AM.
Old 01-16-2022, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Thanks for all the advice. I cancelled the order this morning, because it was going to take too long to get here. I have to re-order to the Upstate address. Unless I can just pick it up on Long Island. We have every type of shopping here,

where would I go to pick DeOxit up?
An electronic store is where I bought mine. Please tell us if it worked for you and like Mark said to put a cloth around anything that doesn't want that spray on. BTW I used it on an old amp that I hadn't used in awhile that had the snap, crackle pop and that too went away. Only use deoxit, do not use a competitor, that, from what I read.
Old 01-16-2022, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

With the guitar on its back, and while pointing away from the guitar, spray the DeOxit on the 1/4' instrument plug, and while holding a cloth under the instrument cord to catch any drips, immediately insert the instrument plug into the jack and rotate it in a full circle clockwise and counterclockwise several times. You can reapply the DeOxit and repeat the process again after a minute or two. If the inner jack contacts are oxidized this should clean them without endangering your guitar's finish.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 01-16-2022, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Surprised that no one has said this yet...

The FIRST thing to do is to put a fresh battery in it! Always start with the easiest "fix" before progressing to the more involved...

And, just so you know - De-Oxit is terrific stuff but it will harm the finish... do whatever you have to do to avoid getting it on the guitar's surface. For tight places, I'll spray a bit into a tiny cup/bowl I've fabricated from foil or some such - even the cap to the De-Oxit works - then quickly (it will evaporate!) use a Q-tip or something like that to apply.
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 01-17-2022, 05:22 AM
Charter Member

Right now I'm on Long Island and the guitar is Upstate in Shandaken. We had to come back here for a couple of doctor visits and we'll be going back Upstate on Wednesday. With Covid blooming around here, I don't even want to go out to the store. Last night I reordered the cleaner and I added 9v batteries from Amazon. They will be there Friday. I'll take care of this then.
Old 01-18-2022, 01:01 AM

I agree with the other posters.

The issue could be:
  1. a loose jack/end pin that needs to be tightened
  2. a cable/connection to the preamp in the guitar that has come loose and needs to be re-soldered
  3. an oxidized jack, or
  4. any combination of those three.
Cannot recommend the D5 spray highly enough. I've been using it for many years on all plugs and jacks, and it really works wonders. A little bit goes a long way.

I user their F5 spray on faders and pots.

Edit - forgot to mention - if you're system is active, the 9-volt battery may be low on charge and in need of replacement. That could account for a weak, distorted, or inconsistent signal. May want to test out that battery, to be sure.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification