The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-22-2019, 10:49 PM

You’re thinking of McKay’s Hardware, Earl. They had a three story store on Fireweed Lane just east of Spenard Road.

After McKay’s shut down Title Wave bookstore moved into that building and stayed there for maybe ten years before moving to the space they now occupy over on Northern Lights Boulevard. There’s been an antique market in the McKay’s building since then.

whm
Old 06-23-2019, 08:05 AM

McKays! What a cool little store that was. Thank you, Wade. The inability to recall their name had been bugging me. My formerly photographic memory is starting to turn sepia-toned and fray around the edges.

Happy Solstice! Remember, we must play now because the days are getting shorter.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post

I was only in there three times. I found the place to be intensely claustrophobic. It was the worst firetrap imaginable, because there were no windows and only one way in and out. Plus there was all that highly flammable tinder stapled to the ceiling and walls.
Actually there were windows. One is just to the right of the guy in the jean jacket in the forth photo. You can see the light from it in the lower right of the photo. That was the window that the suckers - I mean customers - would lean out of to blow on the ptarmigan call, earning a face full of chalk dust for their efforts.

Yeah, the Bird House was a dive. A dump if you will. But it had character, and some of us like bars with character. OMMV, which suits those of us whose mileage doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Binky was a female polar bear in the Alaska Zoo in Anchorage. Some idiotic tourist decided that Binky looked like she'd enjoy some company, so the woman climbed over the outer guard rail, presumably before climbing over the higher fence.
According to the woman, she seemingly wanted a photo of the"sleeping" bear without the inner bars. The outer barrier was simply a railing to keep people back from the inner bars, that, while they keep the bear inside, it could reach through. The bear, which head lived in the zoo since it was a cub and was completely use to humans, was simply being gently inquisitive. But "gentle" to a 500 lb (average female) bear with paws the size of dinner plates and claws the size of your finger is not the same as it might be to you or me. So she wound up with, i think, a couple of broken ribs and a broken leg.

To her credit, she took total responsibility for her actions. "I can't believe that I did something so stupid" I believe was her quote. But as she said, she was from Australia, and they simply don't have massive predator mammals down under. (great big predator reptiles, yes) So chalk one up to inexperience.

Contrast this with the incident mentioned by Earl up above, where some local high school students decide to go for a midnight swim in the bears pool because "everybody knew" that they locked the bear inside at night. (ah yes, the "everybody knows" defense) The groundskeeper, woken by the screams, gets the bear off of the kid and he is taken to the hospital. Nothing that wouldn't heal, as I understand it, although I think that he was a Darwin Awards runner-up that year for the "attempt" to qualify. The kids parents, who lived within a few miles of the zoo, then announce that they are going to sue the zoo for their "failure" to "secure the dangerous animal"

After pretty much the entire state of Alaska gave them them a universal raspberry, that was that last that I ever heard of that idea...

So chalk one up to stupidity...
Old 06-23-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post

We finally gave up on Moose's Tooth pizza when it became necessary to wait 45-60 minutes for a table at nearly any hour of the day. And they would not do take-out orders because their oven could not keep up with the on-site diners. Great pizza though....
Try going to the Bear Tooth movie theater over off 27th and Spenard. Same good pizza, same good beer and a cheap second run movie.
Old 06-23-2019, 03:52 PM

I always wanted to see live shows there, but parking was problematic in that area - prominent signs across all the adjoining strip mall lots saying, "No Bear Tooth Parking". Not much fun walking several blocks in the snow and ice.....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion