The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-11-2010, 10:53 AM

Default Custom Acoustic Builds - Part 2

Hey Fellas,

I'd like to get back on track with the intent of my original post, "Custom Acoustic Builds". It seems as if things drifted off in another direction, which happens to threads more often than not, I suppose.

First, let me start with a heartfelt "Thank You !!" to all of the guys and builders who posted on my original thread, and those of you who PM'd me. My head is spinning right now - I never dreamed that in a few days I would have compiled a list of 120+ names of fantastic custom acoustic builders to investigate and consider. Problem is, where do you draw the line, and how do you begin developing a short list. It is certainly not practical to check into each and every builder - there's simply not enough time in the day, week or year.

Here's how I begin: Before I got married, I would play the guitar 3 hours each day, if not more. Besides flyfishing for trout, running and working out, it's all I did. Well, I got married 14 days after I turned 22 years old, and promptly became the father of six kids (no twins or triplets) - yes, all with the same woman. Hence, my username "sixkids". Well, it didn't take long for me to realize I wasn't mature enough to have both kids and guitars, so I sold all of my electric and acoustic gear except for the very first guitar I ever bought with my own money. It's a small D'Addario about a OO size, and I bought it new without a case (didn't have enough money) from a little shop in Katonah, NY.

Fast forward about 14/15 years, and my kids find my guitar, which I stopped playing, and they start playing. Now music is very big in my house - the stereo is on most nights, and all of my kids were forced to play in the school bands, you know, trumpet, trombone, flute, sax, tuba, clarinet. It was not an option for them to not play - my wife is very, very tough. Anyway, my three oldest boys pick up the guitar on their own without a hitch. So, don't you know, they get me back into it. Now, I'm so back into it that I'm out of control. It started with electrics, and now that my kids are pulling up stakes and starting to move out, I'm into acoustics.

You now have my background, so let me continue. At the risk of being flamed, and called a cork sniffer, I do gravitate towards the high end of the market in whatever I'm into - I do always seem to be looking for that "Holy Grail". Fortunately for me, I'm not into much, just guitars, flyfishing, running, and my family. I've done well for myself, being self employed, but we live a simple lifestyle. I don't play golf, no fancy cars or motorcycles, don't belong to the Yacht Club, don't go out - just a boring husband and wife team. Matter of fact, I still make my own lunch each day and brown bag it. However, when it comes to guitars, this is my thing, and I am the perfect example of what a gear nut is - I'm out of control. And with all six kids' colleges paid for, I now feel justified in doing what I do with my musical gear. I guess I could be doing worse things, eh ?

Now let's get into the nuts and bolts of the short list. I would prefer (not demanding) that the builder or builders exhibit the following:

1. One man/woman shop
2. North American builder (no over seas)
3. 100% hand built by shop owner including but not limited to:
a. wood selection
b. fabrication
c. assembly
d. inlays
e. finishing
f. setup
4. Traditional construction techniques
a. Dovetail neck joint (no bolt-ons)
b. Nitrocellulose laquer finish
c. Use of hide glue
5. Traditional tops:
a. Sitka Spruce
b. Adirondack Spruce
c. European Spruce
d. Engleman Spruce
e. Cedar (maybe)
6. Traditional back and sides:
a. Brazilian Rosewood
b. East Indian Rosewood
c. Mahogany
d. Pernambucco
e. African Blackwood
7. I am not iterested in insanely ornamented inlays - I like simple lines
8. No 9 year waiting list
9. Direct purchase
10. Lifetime warranty
11. Satisfaction guarantee
12. No mystery men - you know, the guys who have a cult following, but cannot be contacted because know one knows where they are at any given time.

While some of my preferences may eliminate a few very capable builders, so be it, it's what I want.

Long term, I want to purchase the following guitars:

1. Jumbo
2. Dreadnought
3. OM
4. OO
5. 12 String
6. Nylon/Classical
7. Baritone

Some of the builders that I have on my relatively long short list may have a particular expertise in one or more of the above types of guitars. If you are aware of this, I would appreciate you passing the information along. I'm not necessarily looking for one builder to build all - so if you think some builders are better than others at a certain type of guitar let me know. So, without further ado, here is my long short list:

Jeff Traugott
Ervin Somogyi
Linda Manzer
Mario Beauregard
Grit Laskin
Michael Greenfield
Kathy Wingert
Jim Olson
Kevin Ryan
Mitchi Matsuda
Nick Kukich (Franklin Guitars)
Bruce Sexauer
Gerald Sheppard
Bruce and Matt Petros
Howard Klepper

I'll look forward to hearing what you guys have to say. Again, I'm sure I've eliminated many stellar builders, but the numbers are just too many. If you really feel I'm making a mistake by not including someone you know, let me know. Thanking you guys in advance for your input. Have a great day.

All The Best !!
Tom
Old 11-11-2010, 11:01 AM

that's the hall of fame of all star builders...
Old 11-11-2010, 11:24 AM

Mike Baranik should be on that list.

Baranik Meridian "Aurora" fan-fret - Celebes ebony / Colorado blue spruce
Tom Sands Model L fan-fret - Macassar ebony / European spruce
Hamblin GC - Macassar ebony / Italian spruce
Kronbauer SMB - Macassar ebony / Engelmann spruce
Baranik JX - Indian rosewood / German spruce
Sheppard GA - African blackwood / Bosnian spruce
Collings OM1
CA Cargo Raw | Ele
Old 11-11-2010, 11:24 AM

It looks like price is not an obstacle for you which open up everybody and anybody.

I just put down a deposit on a build. Here is how I narrowed it down and for me price was big so that helped in narrowing down the luthiers.

I looked at probably 50+ websites and kept a spreadsheet which had: builder, price, how long have they been building, do I like the headstock, any additional comments.

When I visited the websites I looked at the shape of the guitars, headstock and price. The quality of the website made no difference to me just the looks of the guitars. The sound would come later which has to happen b/c at this point I can only see and not hear the guitars.

That narrowed 50 builders down to about 10 for me. I then looked at wait time. Personally, I can't wait over a year. I then read more about the guitars and each builder and searched the AGF and web for any info and reviews. I then picked one in my mind and PM people on the AGF who own one of his guitars. Since it was all good, I sent him an email and went from there. We talked and were on the exact same page. I'm looking to get a very specific guitar with very specific details on a very specific budget. I cut a check for my deposit and off we go. I hope in April 2011 to receive the guitar on my dreams and an honest heirloom for my kids.

That's how I did it.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Not sure if I missed it in the earlier thread or not, but you need to know what you want in tone and playability so it matches your needs/want. All of the builders you listed can obviously make fantastic guitars, so the real issue is getting the right match for you. It seems like the budget is not an issue, so you need to go to festivals (Healdsburg, Montreal, Newport) as well as take some road trips to areas where you could visit several builders at a time. Another option would be to visit Luthiers Collection, Dream Guitars, and/or Guitar Gallery to be able to play a variety of builder's guitars.

Dan Bresnan may also be a builder to consider (sells through Luthiers Collection).

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 11-11-2010, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Hi Tom,

You have an impressive list and I have personally played the guitars of many of your short list builders. But, I will speak to the builder that I have the most experience with. Kathy Wingert. She fits the bill is all respects and I would add that she is top notch in the communications department. She is versatile and can build what you are looking for or be honest with you if she thinks another builder would be more appropriate.

You have an exciting journey here exploring which of these fine luthiers can give you the instrument you desire.

When I was looking for a builder the first thing I did was play as many of the guitars as I could get my hands on. (Healdsburg was a great way to accomplish that.) And then talked personally to people who had commissioned guitars from a number of builders I was considering, then after narrowing the list further, had conversations with the builders themselves.

The process took a little less than a year, but it was totally worth it. I could not be happier with my choice and the guitar I received.

Best of luck and whoever you choose, I have found the acoustic guitar builders world full of some of the nicest people you will ever meet. (Which of course is why so many of us hang out here!)

Cheers,
Jayne
Old 11-11-2010, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

I've played guitars by most of the builders on your list and I'm sure you'd be happy with any of them. They are all extremely talented artisans.

Does it have to have a dovetail neck joint? Because some on your list use bolts ons. If you are open to bolt ons, I would again mention Tony Vines, Tom Doerr, Batson, and David Taylor. All extremely talented luthiers as well.

Congrats on your search.

Kindly,
Danny
Old 11-11-2010, 12:28 PM
AGF Sponsor

No ones opinion is more important than your own, and these threads have a way of becoming polls where folks just name their favorite names, often with little or no experience of the actual builders, let alone the all important relationship from which the instrument actually develops.

It's between you and the builder and involves personal chemistry if you are to come anywhere near realizing the potential in front of you. While email and the information in these forums is not w/o merit, what really works for separating the wheat from the chaff is the telephone. If it is possible follow that up with a visit to workshop.

The differences between the guitars by the top makers are subtle from the perspective of the casual viewer, but are profound to the true aficionado. Before plunking down serious change I would want to have a direct experience of any makers work.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

Nice list,

may want to look at John Slobod (Circa) and Kirk Sand also
Old 11-11-2010, 12:55 PM

I'd suggest adding Roy McAlister to that list. He's well-versed in all the body styles you list with the exception of nylon/classical. I own 2 with a 3rd on the way and I've yet to see a dud leave his shop. (BTW - He built the 1st Santa Cruz baritones while he was working there.)
Old 11-11-2010, 01:02 PM

what exactly are you asking here? are you going to commission a guitar soon?
Old 11-11-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixkids View Post
Hey Fellas,

I'd like to get back on track with the intent of my original post, "Custom Acoustic Builds". It seems as if things drifted off in another direction, which happens to threads more often than not, I suppose.

First, let me start with a heartfelt "Thank You !!" to all of the guys and builders who posted on my original thread, and those of you who PM'd me. My head is spinning right now - I never dreamed that in a few days I would have compiled a list of 120+ names of fantastic custom acoustic builders to investigate and consider. Problem is, where do you draw the line, and how do you begin developing a short list. It is certainly not practical to check into each and every builder - there's simply not enough time in the day, week or year.

Here's how I begin: Before I got married, I would play the guitar 3 hours each day, if not more. Besides flyfishing for trout, running and working out, it's all I did. Well, I got married 14 days after I turned 22 years old, and promptly became the father of six kids (no twins or triplets) - yes, all with the same woman. Hence, my username "sixkids". Well, it didn't take long for me to realize I wasn't mature enough to have both kids and guitars, so I sold all of my electric and acoustic gear except for the very first guitar I ever bought with my own money. It's a small D'Addario about a OO size, and I bought it new without a case (didn't have enough money) from a little shop in Katonah, NY.

Fast forward about 14/15 years, and my kids find my guitar, which I stopped playing, and they start playing. Now music is very big in my house - the stereo is on most nights, and all of my kids were forced to play in the school bands, you know, trumpet, trombone, flute, sax, tuba, clarinet. It was not an option for them to not play - my wife is very, very tough. Anyway, my three oldest boys pick up the guitar on their own without a hitch. So, don't you know, they get me back into it. Now, I'm so back into it that I'm out of control. It started with electrics, and now that my kids are pulling up stakes and starting to move out, I'm into acoustics.

You now have my background, so let me continue. At the risk of being flamed, and called a cork sniffer, I do gravitate towards the high end of the market in whatever I'm into - I do always seem to be looking for that "Holy Grail". Fortunately for me, I'm not into much, just guitars, flyfishing, running, and my family. I've done well for myself, being self employed, but we live a simple lifestyle. I don't play golf, no fancy cars or motorcycles, don't belong to the Yacht Club, don't go out - just a boring husband and wife team. Matter of fact, I still make my own lunch each day and brown bag it. However, when it comes to guitars, this is my thing, and I am the perfect example of what a gear nut is - I'm out of control. And with all six kids' colleges paid for, I now feel justified in doing what I do with my musical gear. I guess I could be doing worse things, eh ?

Now let's get into the nuts and bolts of the short list. I would prefer (not demanding) that the builder or builders exhibit the following:

1. One man/woman shop
2. North American builder (no over seas)
3. 100% hand built by shop owner including but not limited to:
a. wood selection
b. fabrication
c. assembly
d. inlays
e. finishing
f. setup
4. Traditional construction techniques
a. Dovetail neck joint (no bolt-ons)
b. Nitrocellulose laquer finish
c. Use of hide glue
5. Traditional tops:
a. Sitka Spruce
b. Adirondack Spruce
c. European Spruce
d. Engleman Spruce
e. Cedar (maybe)
6. Traditional back and sides:
a. Brazilian Rosewood
b. East Indian Rosewood
c. Mahogany
d. Pernambucco
e. African Blackwood
7. I am not iterested in insanely ornamented inlays - I like simple lines
8. No 9 year waiting list
9. Direct purchase
10. Lifetime warranty
11. Satisfaction guarantee
12. No mystery men - you know, the guys who have a cult following, but cannot be contacted because know one knows where they are at any given time.

While some of my preferences may eliminate a few very capable builders, so be it, it's what I want.

Long term, I want to purchase the following guitars:

1. Jumbo
2. Dreadnought
3. OM
4. OO
5. 12 String
6. Nylon/Classical
7. Baritone

Some of the builders that I have on my relatively long short list may have a particular expertise in one or more of the above types of guitars. If you are aware of this, I would appreciate you passing the information along. I'm not necessarily looking for one builder to build all - so if you think some builders are better than others at a certain type of guitar let me know. So, without further ado, here is my long short list:

Jeff Traugott
Ervin Somogyi
Linda Manzer
Mario Beauregard
Grit Laskin
Michael Greenfield
Kathy Wingert
Jim Olson
Kevin Ryan
Mitchi Matsuda
Nick Kukich (Franklin Guitars)
Bruce Sexauer
Gerald Sheppard
Bruce and Matt Petros
Howard Klepper

I'll look forward to hearing what you guys have to say. Again, I'm sure I've eliminated many stellar builders, but the numbers are just too many. If you really feel I'm making a mistake by not including someone you know, let me know. Thanking you guys in advance for your input. Have a great day.

All The Best !!
Tom
I think with the dovetail neck joint, your short list will include:

Olson
Klepper
Sexauer
Petros
Wingert

Not sure about the rest. Ryan is out.

Ryan is out.

Olson Brazilian Dread #1325
Olson Brazilian SJ #1350
Olson Tiger Myrtle Dread #1355
Olson Brazilian Jumbo #1351
Olson 12-string Jumbo (one of only a few)
Martin D-42 Johnny Cash #51/200 (only 80 made)
And a few others

Quite a few limited edition and rare Martins
-----------------

http://www.kekomusic.com
Old 11-11-2010, 01:20 PM

Default Slobod Circa

I would second the recommendation of John Slobod (Circa Guitars). It took 2 years but a few months ago received a stunning 7/8 slope dread that I commissioned from him for me....Bearclaw Lutz Spruce top and stunning bookmatched Ziricote back/sides that is a wonderful guitar to play, ergonomically fantastic, and sounds amazing.
Martin OOO-16E
Furch Cedar/Mahogany OM
Eastman E3OME
Avian Songbird 3
Blue Lion Force/D'Oscche dulcimer
Blue Lion Style IIRW dulcimer
Blue Lion Jam Cedar Walnut dulcimer
McCafferty Chromatic Custom dulcimer
Northfield, Silverangel, Eastman, Big Muddy Mandolins
Old 11-11-2010, 02:55 PM

Hopefully nobody will "flame" you for working hard to put yourself in a position to where you can have what you want or for having a very specific list of "must have" details.

I think that if ever, anybody needed to make a trip to Santa Rosa for the Healdsburg guitar festival it's you.

I think that to get where you want to go you will need to experience as many of the builders on your list (and meet some who aren't) as possible, first hand. Most of the builders fail to meet one or more criteria depending on how strict the law is applied, if they are hard and fast, especially in the areas of "nitro finish" "one person shop" "hide glue" "dovetail only" (I'm out ) " "100% hand-built" and "traditional construction" - If these are followed by the word "only" then I'm not sure there is anybody left.

I respect your wanting these to be very traditional but to not buy a Sexauer because he uses varnish, or not by an Olson because he uses CNC, or not buy a Wingert because she "farms out" her finish, not buy a Petros because it's not "one-man"..... might mean that you miss out on that "special" guitar. My advice would be to go to Healdsburg and buy what you like based on what you see, hear and how you connect with the builder. You might find that you want a Ryan after all... despite it being a bolt-on neck guitar built by a highly skilled "team" using non traditional designs, CNC and laser technology with modern glues and UV finish... You might even be able to fill your entire wish list without waiting at all!

anyway my $.02 for what it's worth.

Harv
Old 11-11-2010, 03:23 PM

What Harv says too.

Nitrocellulose loses Olson and Petros. I know Howard Klepper still uses nitrocellulose.

Olson Brazilian Dread #1325
Olson Brazilian SJ #1350
Olson Tiger Myrtle Dread #1355
Olson Brazilian Jumbo #1351
Olson 12-string Jumbo (one of only a few)
Martin D-42 Johnny Cash #51/200 (only 80 made)
And a few others

Quite a few limited edition and rare Martins
-----------------

http://www.kekomusic.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop