The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-26-2019, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

My first acoustic blues recommendation is always Folk Singer by Muddy Waters. Mid 60s with Muddy, Buddy Guy and Willie Dixon.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 06-26-2019, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Etta Baker, Elizabeth Cotten.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:02 AM

Joe Bonamassa - Acoustic Evening at the Vienna Opera
Leadbelly
Eric Bibb
Pink Anderson

Enjoy the search
Larrivee OM3 (Walnut/Walnut)
Martin 00017SM
Webber OM (Sitka/Maple)
Tinker OM (Sitka/EIR)
Old 06-26-2019, 10:41 AM

Yazoo Records was probably the best source for early country blues. The recordings are now available on Apple Music, Spotify, etc. You can use the Yazoo catalog listings at Shanachie Entertainment as a guide for some great music:

https://shanachie.com/yazoo
Old 06-26-2019, 11:00 AM

I still recall the day in the mid-1960s when I was rummaging through large collection of 78 rpm records owned by a friend of my father looking for folk music and stumbling across Victoria Spivey and Lonnie Johnson's "Toothache Blues." In addition to the usual suspects named here I would say go grab yourself some Scrapper Blackwell, Curley Weaver (who played with Blind Willie McTell) and Bo Carter. Among the more modern players I love Alvin Youngblood Hart ad still have a thing for Jorma.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JClT...QhsTua8DKvh-_E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16kiY-la2ok
Old 06-26-2019, 11:27 AM

Modern blues guitarists - Mary Flower, Craig Ventresco, Jerron "Blind Boy" Paxton, Corey Harris.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechariot1x View Post
Hi all, so I was thinking to myself that my blues education is lacking. So, can anyone suggest some good artists for acoustic blues that I should listen to (so far I know John Fahey and a little bit of Mississipi John Hurt).
Here are Songs, Albums and Artists among my all time favourites, the kind of things everyone should feel sorry not to own I believe...
Luther(and Bernard)Allisin : "Playing A Loosing Game" (Reckless-Luther Allison)
Stepunen Stills : "Bluesmen" (Manassas-Stephen Stills)
Junior Wells : Mystery Trailn ("Come On In This House" - lots of guests playing the guitar there -)
Keb Mo : "When Henry Plays His Steel Guitar"
Mississipi John Hurt

Special mention to a song Bert Jansch was doing (can remember the title since that album has been stolen from me by some so-called friends); Tommy Johnson and Blind Blake, all worth doing some searching...

By the way, acoustic players are not necessarily those that touched me the most on an acoustic guita
Old 06-26-2019, 11:54 AM

Your best bet is to subscribe to Daddy Stovepipe's YouTube channel. He plays them all, and you can clearly see what he is doing.

Furthermore, in his excellent tutorial videos, he describes technique in detail, and give some wonderful "liner note" kind of detail on who used a technique, who took it and modified it, and more.

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles

Last edited by Kerbie; 06-26-2019 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Edited.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:58 AM

Eric Bibb

R L Burnside
Old 06-26-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-10Ken View Post
I always like Jorma Kuakonen. He has an extensive list of instructional videos too.
I wasn't aware of that, thanks (not that I don't already have a good collection I have barely begun to scratch ...)

Someone who tends to get overlooked despite several blues award nominations: Doug Macleod. Like Stefan Grosmann he played with and learned from a few of the "2nd gen originals" like George Harmonica Smith, Ernest Banks and BB King, but you will rarely catch him play a tune that isn't one of his own.

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 06-26-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortfinger View Post
Your best bet is to subscribe to Daddy Stovepipe's YouTube channel. He plays them all, and you can clearly see what he is doing.

Furthermore, in his excellent tutorial videos, he describes technique in detail, and give some wonderful "liner note" kind of detail on who used a technique, who took it and modified it, and more.
So many of the great , original blues players mentioned. And some of the great current ones, I was so fortunate to take lessons with Mary Flower. As far as learning blues, especially finger style acoustic, I love everything Daddy Stovepipe has to offer. And I really like all of Eric Claptons acoustic stuff, I find it accessible and easier to learn from than the old Delta recordings. I just finished an 8 week "Unplugged" class. Check out all of his straight ahead blues things from Unplugged, and his Ramblin video from the Steve Winwood tour. Many instructional videos on Youtube on how to unlock his style. Love acoustic blues, lets jam!
'95 Collings 0002H
'80s Martin M36

Last edited by Kerbie; 06-26-2019 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Edited quote.
Old 06-26-2019, 01:45 PM

John Fahey and MJH are on the folksy end of the blues spectrum. I really like the old Mississippi Hill Country stuff, it has its own distinctive sound whether on acoustic or electric. Check out R L Burnside, Fred McDowell, Robert Belfour and Jesse Mae Hemphill.

Other artists that may not have been already mentioned: Booker White, Big Bill Broonzy, Allen Shaw, Robert Wilkins, Furry Lewis, Tommy Johnson, Charlie Patton, Robert Petway and loads more. And never forget Sam 'Lightnin' Hopkins, the coolest man ever to have lived.
Old 06-26-2019, 01:53 PM

Paul Geremia
Old 06-26-2019, 02:53 PM

Cephus & Wiggins, Acoustic Buddy Guy and Junior Wells, The Mississippi Sheiks.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 06-26-2019, 04:28 PM

For a more modern player, definitely check out Kelly Joe Phelps—-“When the Roll is Called Up Yonder” on YouTube. His whole “Roll Away the Stone” album is great!

Also:
Hard Time Killin’ Floor Blues—Kelly Jo Phelps, Blues at Bridgetown
Hellhound on my Trail—-Kelly Jo Phelps, at the Freight & Salvage
Fare Thee Well—-Kelly Jo Phelps

Last edited by Kalani; 06-26-2019 at 04:50 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion