The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 07-05-2021, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

Here's the first tune I recorded on my little Goodall Grand Concert (redwood over mahogany)... just voice and guitar, recorded on a Tascam DR-05. I believe I posted this here, but many years ago... this song is still a favorite!

Apologies for not having the thing "right here", but, being largely computer-limited, I don't know how to do that! I did click "embed", but that didn't do it! If anyone can accomplish that, I'd appreciate it very much, just for the ease of listening...

https://soundcloud.com/john-seth-she...torm-bob-dylan

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)

Last edited by jseth; 07-05-2021 at 12:37 PM.
Old 07-05-2021, 12:56 PM

I don't have a recording ability at the moment, but here's my slow version of All Along the Watchtower from several years back:

-- Schroedinger's wife

Last edited by jandrew; 07-05-2021 at 01:24 PM.
Old 07-05-2021, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren_WarEagle View Post
These Dylan covers are great, y’all!
Thanks, you should post one of your own! Your cover of Paradise by John Prine is lovely.

Old 07-05-2021, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage97 View Post
Also found this one.

very good!
1976 Ovation 1613-4 nylon--spruce top
1963 Guild Mark II nylon--spruce top
Old 07-05-2021, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earwitness View Post
very good!
Thanks very much Ear.
Old 07-06-2021, 04:27 PM

Old 07-17-2021, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

A bit of a thread revival - a real old one. I was six years old when this was released.

-Ray

Old 07-17-2021, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Here's the first tune I recorded on my little Goodall Grand Concert (redwood over mahogany)... just voice and guitar, recorded on a Tascam DR-05. I believe I posted this here, but many years ago... this song is still a favorite!

Apologies for not having the thing "right here", but, being largely computer-limited, I don't know how to do that! I did click "embed", but that didn't do it! If anyone can accomplish that, I'd appreciate it very much, just for the ease of listening...

Old 07-17-2021, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
A bit of a thread revival - a real old one. I was six years old when this was released.

-Ray

I hear a bit of McGuinn/Byrds version phrasing in your vocal. Was that in your head when you recorded this?

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 07-18-2021, 04:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
I hear a bit of McGuinn/Byrds version phrasing in your vocal. Was that in your head when you recorded this?
I’d forgotten the Byrds had covered that, so no, that’s not what I was going for. A lot of people seem to think Dylan was / is a terrible singer, but I love his singing. Not a pretty voice by any means, but such great phrasing IMO. A lot of singers “pretty-up” his songs, which, to me, misses he point of his songs. Not that I could do it if I wanted to… To the very limited extent I can sing at all,I CANNOT sing pretty. So I was just going for Dylan. When I listened to the Byrds version again, it sounded to me like McGuinn was going for Dylan’s phrasing too - he just has a different voice.Maybe my voice is a little closer to McGuinn’s? He sounded like he was going for Dylan’s phrasing when he sang “Mr. Tambourine Man” too, to my ear anyway.

-Ray
Old 07-18-2021, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I’d forgotten the Byrds had covered that, so no, that’s not what I was going for. A lot of people seem to think Dylan was / is a terrible singer, but I love his singing. Not a pretty voice by any means, but such great phrasing IMO. A lot of singers “pretty-up” his songs, which, to me, misses he point of his songs. Not that I could do it if I wanted to… To the very limited extent I can sing at all,I CANNOT sing pretty. So I was just going for Dylan. When I listened to the Byrds version again, it sounded to me like McGuinn was going for Dylan’s phrasing too - he just has a different voice.Maybe my voice is a little closer to McGuinn’s? He sounded like he was going for Dylan’s phrasing when he sang “Mr. Tambourine Man” too, to my ear anyway.

-Ray
Dylan's songs can be presented so many ways, and I too often think that the "pretty" versions overlook the value of the more rough-edged versions with more aggressive emotional presentations. Of course, the pretty versions can be pretty, and that's nice when I'm in the mood for that, not that I can sing in that mode either.

One thing that I've always wondered about "Positively Fourth Street" is that some think it's the 4th street in Greenwich Village in NYC, but that 4th street is one of two "main drags" in Minneapolis' Dinkytown where Dylan left from to go to NYC. Maybe Bob figured it was a meaningful coincidence.

Unlike "56th and Wabasha" -- which is not an actual Twin Cities street corner, even if sounds great in "Meet Me in the Morning."

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 07-18-2021, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Drug this one out of the archives. I will be doing a new striped down version Guitar and Vocal But for now

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 07-21-2021, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Drug this one out of the archives. I will be doing a new striped down version Guitar and Vocal But for now

Not familiar with this one but enjoyed it quite a bit.
Old 07-22-2021, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage97 View Post
Not familiar with this one but enjoyed it quite a bit.
Thanks ,,,, yes I suppose it was a much bigger hit for the Byrds when they released their cover of it, much like All Along the Watchtower was for Hendrix
Actually I just completed a quick one shot one take guitar vocal version more like Dylans release I'll post shortly

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 07-22-2021, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
Loved that electric guitar break and short coda on You Ain't Goin Nowhere
FrankHudson...thanks! that was a fun day...we actually got a sound board recording of that day on CD....the sound in the vid is an old VCR camera, LOL....time to do more Dylan tunes...Blood on the Tracks, one of my ALL TIME FAVORITE albums!!!
1990 Alvarez DY-50
2019 McPherson Sable
Godin A6 Ultra
lots of electrics and amps!

Last edited by fenderball; 07-22-2021 at 08:37 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell