The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-06-2021, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szjp View Post
I guess it’s personal taste, but I like the ambertone! An official dealer has offered me one for $4625 including tax & shipping which is just over $200 more than this ebay seller (with tax & shipping) so that’s a much safer bet (warranty etc)

However - i have been thinking about either the used D41 special listed on here (and saving some money), or spending a bit more and getting a 60’s D18 / 21 / 28.

I’m starting to confuse myself!!

This individual is likely to wind up with multiple “forever guitars”!
That right there is evidence as to just how contagious GAS actually is. Szjp has been on the forum for 24-36 hrs. That was quick!

Szjp, joking aside, sounds like you’ve got some guitars you need to play. Good luck with your search.
Old 08-06-2021, 03:20 PM

Haha! Well that’s my problem as all options are to be shipped.
So do I go for new and know what I’m getting? Or take the risk with used or vintage?
I know what the ‘sensible’ thing to do is, but every vintage instrument or studio gear I’ve ever bought has never been regretted!
Old 08-06-2021, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifivic View Post
Trust me the ambertone in person is meh and at that price I'm suspicious, how about this one

https://willcuttguitars.com/collecti...-d-41-2018-580
To each his own - I love the D41 ambertone in person honestly, no disappointments at all. That said I did buy mine from Wilcutt and they are a first class dealer. The natural top D41 are also great, but my ambertone I would not trade for anything (except a -45 I guess)
Old 08-06-2021, 03:34 PM

Quote:
I guess it’s personal taste, but I like the ambertone! An official dealer has offered me one for $4625 including tax & shipping which is just over $200 more than this ebay seller (with tax & shipping) so that’s a much safer bet (warranty etc)

However - i have been thinking about either the used D41 special listed on here (and saving some money), or spending a bit more and getting a 60’s D18 / 21 / 28.

That is a nice price on a guitar I would bet money you will enjoy the heck out of.
Old 08-06-2021, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

Default This

Quote:

We all confuse ourselves. But on a guitar this spendy, getting the warranty for an extra 200 is a no brainer.

I have had warranty work done a few times, no problem. (Neck resets).

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 08-06-2021, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Haha! Well that’s my problem as all options are to be shipped.
So do I go for new and know what I’m getting? Or take the risk with used or vintage?
I know what the ‘sensible’ thing to do is, but every vintage instrument or studio gear I’ve ever bought has never been regretted!
I spend 40 years buying used for obvious economic reasons - could always flip them for small loss or a profit.

But now, I have bought the last two brand new and I really like having a guitar I know nobody else has rejected

I think people will look back at the current D41 as a great value because it costs half as much as a D-45 with basically the same spec. It's a very good guitar I think you should go with your gut and get a new D41 ambertone from a dealer you trust.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion