The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-12-2019, 10:12 AM

Default Looper advice/recomendations

Hi,
Im hoping someone can help I'm looking for advise/recommendations.

First hears what I’m trying to achieve. I’m currently using a RC 3 and am looping live (no pre stored loops). I loop Rhythm guitar progressions then solo over the top. I use a Roland SPD Kik as a stomp box. I’d like to be able to loop the percussion (stomp box) eg play one bar and loop it then be able to switch to a second loop channel to create a loop of the Rhythm guitar of obviously of a different length to allow for playing a solo.

I’m looking for a loop pedal with the following features.

• Two channel allowing loops of different lengths
• A dedicated stop button (no double tapping) and hold to clear or the ability to control these features with an extension pedal (as is possible with the RC3).
• Small footprint I have a large pedal board but limited space.
• I’d like a XLR in for a mic although not essential.

I’ve purchased a RC30 but am returning it as it lacks the hold to clear feature already mentioned.

Thanks in anticipation
Old 01-13-2019, 08:22 AM

Boomerang is the best I have seen and used
Old 01-13-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codfather View Post
Maybe check out the TC Electeonics Ditto 4X.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:03 PM

paul: welcome to the agf!

i would recommend that you go to your local big box store and play a bunch of them. also, check out various ones on their manufacturer's site to see how they present their product. they will usually have some videos available.

you may also want to check out the gear page and gearslutz as well as the tele forum to post your question.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 01-13-2019, 02:55 PM

Hi Paul,
I'm new to looping, but I do not see why you would want a second loop to be of a different length than your first "drum"loop. (The whole idea of looping is to have them in sync...)

Whatever you decide to go with, the Auxiliary switch will greatly help out your live performance. I purposefully choose the RC-1 to minimize all the extra stuff I didn't want to use, and it works out really well.

You can make your own double switch if you're handy. Mine uses two normally closed heavy duty momentary switches attached to a short section of stereo 1/4" patch cord and I love what it does for the looper. The double-tap thing is just aggravation. I knew that before purchasing a looper, so I had the switch built before I got the looper.

Last edited by Rudy4; 01-13-2019 at 03:01 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codfather View Post
I'll second this. The functionality and sound is noticeably better than the other brands mentioned, imo. You can't store loops on it, but it's a killer looper with different programmable modes.

I only use it for the singer/songwriter live looping, so people with different needs might prefer some of the other loopers. Some older loopers like the Gibson/Oberheim Echoplex Digital Pro Looper, have way more functionality, but I don't think they make them anymore.

With the Boomerang III, I can make track 3 a master percussion track that plays continuously, track 2 the verse, and track 1 the chorus or bridge. The percussion keeps playing and I can switch between verse and chorus.

Last edited by The Kid!; 01-14-2019 at 12:14 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid! View Post
I'll second this. The functionality and sound is noticeably better than the other brands mentioned, imo. You can't store loops on it, but it's a killer looper with different programmable modes.

I only use it for the singer/songwriter live looping, so people with different needs might prefer some of the other loopers. Some older loopers like the Gibson/Oberheim Echoplex Digital Pro Looper, have way more functionality, but I don't think they make them anymore.

With the Boomerang III, I can make track 3 a master percussion track that plays continuously, track 2 the verse, and track 1 the chorus or bridge. The percussion keeps playing and I can switch between verse and chorus.
I've just had a quick look at the Boomerang. These weren't on my radar as they are not readily available here (that ive been able to find) I found one supplier and they're charging $799 AU for the Boomerang III and $415 for the sidecar. I assume I'd need the sidecar for ease of stop and erase?
Old 01-15-2019, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
paul: welcome to the agf!

i would recommend that you go to your local big box store and play a bunch of them. also, check out various ones on their manufacturer's site to see how they present their product. they will usually have some videos available.

you may also want to check out the gear page and gearslutz as well as the tele forum to post your question.

play music!
Thanks for the suggestion I'll take a look.
Old 02-03-2019, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Trevaskis View Post
I've just had a quick look at the Boomerang. These weren't on my radar as they are not readily available here (that ive been able to find) I found one supplier and they're charging $799 AU for the Boomerang III and $415 for the sidecar. I assume I'd need the sidecar for ease of stop and erase?
No. You can program the smart buttons to do that. The side car will give you a 4th track and more programmability though. I have three Rang III's and no side cars. I don't find them necessary for me.

Smart buttons for me are programmed as follows

Yellow Tap: Stack
Yellow Hold: Erase
Green Tap: Fade
Green Hold: Undo
1983 Washburn Timber Ridge Custom
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive
2016 Gibson J-45 Standard
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive backup
Tonedexter & Sunnaudio Stage DI
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS
Old 02-04-2019, 12:47 PM

Question ¿ Budget ?

¿ What's your budget ?

EZ :

HR
Life has always been interesting to me

Old 02-04-2019, 12:50 PM

Thumbs up EHX 9500

Life has always been interesting to me

Old 02-04-2019, 05:44 PM

Wow Hurricane!

That is some kind of looper! I will check them out.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:18 PM

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...finity&index=1

Sounds like you're looking for this....
Lots of reviews available online and on youtube.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD