The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-13-2020, 08:26 PM
Charter Member

Default Virtual instruments II in Reaper

I just had an idea, and it worked. I can compose in Guitar Pro, export as a midi and then add the mid file to reaper and use a virtual instrument plugin for play back/render. I don't have to worry about input devices, etc. I just have to watch what section of the scale I'm on. Not all the notes in CGDGCD, for example, work for the flute plug-in I have.

Here's a sample I made with the string ensemble free plug-in I got from Spitfire

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 09-13-2020, 08:53 PM

Of course, good thinking. You can generate MIDI in any number of ways.

What flute plugin did you find? Can it really not produce certain notes? Or do you just mean that the range of notes from the guitar is different than the range of the flute so some pitches are assigned notes too low for the flute plugin?

How do you plan to deal with getting what you have in Guitar Pro to match what you are going to record? It introduces a different can of worms than trying to record a MIDI device in Reaper, where you can play along and/or edit notes to line up to the recorded audio.
Old 09-13-2020, 09:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
Of course, good thinking. You can generate MIDI in any number of ways.

What flute plugin did you find? Can it really not produce certain notes? Or do you just mean that the range of notes from the guitar is different than the range of the flute so some pitches are assigned notes too low for the flute plugin?
I found a Varazuvi Indian Flute from here. The range of notes from the demo I composed had some that were too low so they were skipped by the plug-in. What I made up was from a few months ago and I just grabbed it to test out ideas today.

Quote:
How do you plan to deal with getting what you have in Guitar Pro to match what you are going to record? It introduces a different can of worms than trying to record a MIDI device in Reaper, where you can play along and/or edit notes to line up to the recorded audio.
I was thinking of doing interludes in between guitar sections which is a lot easier than playing along, but I could overlay somehow. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. Here's the tune that started all of this thinking... Go to 1:15 in the tune.

My SoundCloud page

Last edited by TBman; 09-13-2020 at 09:34 PM.
Old 09-13-2020, 09:33 PM

Bridges are much easier to cross if you have plotted your route in advance! And shortcuts usually end up being the long way around!

I really would recommend figuring out how to get the virtual keyboard to record (you really are most of the way there already), or even getting a small external MIDI controller. It may seem like more work now, but that will pay off in not having to jump through a bunch of (self-imposed) hoops later that might be just as frustrating.

While everyone's workflow is a bit different, I think the underlying basis is similar for most people who have been doing this for a while, and there's a reason for that. In the long run, you will get better results, more easily.
Old 09-13-2020, 09:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Bridges are much easier to cross if you have plotted your route in advance! And shortcuts usually end up being the long way around!

I really would recommend figuring out how to get the virtual keyboard to record (you really are most of the way there already), or even getting a small external MIDI controller. It may seem like more work now, but that will pay off in not having to jump through a bunch of (self-imposed) hoops later that might be just as frustrating.

While everyone's workflow is a bit different, I think the underlying basis is similar for most people who have been doing this for a while, and there's a reason for that. In the long run, you will get better results, more easily.
I did finally get the virtual keyboard to record, but my composing in guitarpro is better than what I could do on a keyboard, at least right now. I have no problem with picking up a small midi keyboard later on down the road. I have a Focusrite Scarlet 2i4 which has midi input.

My SoundCloud page

Old 09-13-2020, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I did finally get the virtual keyboard to record, but my composing in guitarpro is better than what I could do on a keyboard, at least right now. I have no problem with picking up a small midi keyboard later on down the road. I have a Focusrite Scarlet 2i4 which has midi input.
Glad you got it going. I am no great shakes at keyboard either. Some parts I have actually found it easier to just go to the piano roll and enter note-by-note with the mouse, to be honest. Especially if it's a repeating pattern; you click it in once, then copy and paste.

If you do bring something in from Guitar Pro and want it to actually match your guitar playing, you could generate something with a matching tempo (if you don't want to play to a click, at least get a metronome to count you off so you start at the right speed), then manually drag notes around so they line up to the audio.
Old 09-14-2020, 06:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Glad you got it going. I am no great shakes at keyboard either. Some parts I have actually found it easier to just go to the piano roll and enter note-by-note with the mouse, to be honest. Especially if it's a repeating pattern; you click it in once, then copy and paste.

If you do bring something in from Guitar Pro and want it to actually match your guitar playing, you could generate something with a matching tempo (if you don't want to play to a click, at least get a metronome to count you off so you start at the right speed), then manually drag notes around so they line up to the audio.
This is neat stuff. I got it to work with my J-45.

My SoundCloud page

Old 09-14-2020, 07:37 PM

Pretty cool! The stock plugins in Reaper may not look like much but they sure are powerful. And Kenny has a video for everything!

Looks like you're all set.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD