The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 06-29-2020, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
There it sits, unplayed for over a month now while I return to the comfort of steel strings.

I'm glad I have my Cordoba for those times I'll want a very mellow, soft cedary tone, but it just wasn't working out technique wise.

After being told things similar to "it doesn't sound as good without nails" and "I could hear the flesh" to several of my recordings I decided to take the hint.

Maybe when I retire I can set aside a bit of time each day to classical but for now its collecting dust.

Anyone else go through this?
I have been taking a break from classical right now too. I get psoriasis and it has gone into my nails a little bit. It tends to come and go. Right now it is bothering me so I can't maintain my nails like I usually do. I find for steel-string that having a perfect nail isn't as necessary.

I don't plan on taking a break forever. I am trying to get my nails back in shape. But, so far no luck. The bad thing is, for classical there is really no substitute for good nails. Many have tried to use various methods to produce a good sound on classical without nails, but it's hard.

I actually do like the sound of bare flesh on the classical, but I find my fingers get sore. If I kept at it, I'm sure my skin would build up some resistance. But, iti just gets frustrating that you work so hard on playing beautiful music to be foiled by a fingernail! hahaha..

Oh well, I'm having fun right now playing steel-string.

Martin
Gibson J-45 Standard 2020
Old 06-30-2020, 01:59 PM

other direction for me, after playing classical guitars almost exclusively for 5 years or so a steel stringer just sounds tinny and thin, and feels heavy and unresponsive.
Old 09-18-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBalderrama View Post
other direction for me, after playing classical guitars almost exclusively for 5 years or so a steel stringer just sounds tinny and thin, and feels heavy and unresponsive.
That was my path as well

Prior to the switch I had been trying to get this soft and warm silkesque sound from an acoustic.

I’m more comfortable playing the classical as well.

As for the repertoire and technique, they make me feel at home, while the acoustic guitar and technique (especially plectrum) kept me stressed and.... well just not right.
Old 09-18-2020, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiWanSymbian View Post
That was my path as well

Prior to the switch I had been trying to get this soft and warm silkesque sound from an acoustic.

I’m more comfortable playing the classical as well.

As for the repertoire and technique, they make me feel at home, while the acoustic guitar and technique (especially plectrum) kept me stressed and.... well just not right.
Same here. I was an on again - off again classical player for most of my guitar-playing days. When I retired a few years ago I decided to buy, as my last guitar purchase, the best classical guitar I could afford and start to relearn my old classical repertoire. Well, I ended up spending twice what I planned and got a phenomenal instrument, but as I started to re-learn Bach and Villa Lobos, I discovered, in addition, more modern classical pieces by Andrew York and Leo Brouwer that were a joy to play. Long story short, I hardly touch my steel strings any more, and I've begun to notice a reduction in my left hand callouses.

Martin OM-28 Authentic 1931
Taylor Cocobolo GCce 2008 Fall Limited Edition
Paragon Cocobolo/cedar GOM
Cervantes Signature Rodriguez
Eastman Cabaret JB
Tacoma JM1612C
Old 09-18-2020, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBalderrama View Post
Same for me. Sold all my steel strings guitars and kept classical only. After 3 years I told myself I could play steel again, bought a great Lowden, played for a few weeks and swapped it for a fantastic classical. Steel sound weird to me, unless strummed. I guess we all change tastes from time to time...
Old 09-20-2020, 08:38 PM

I've been playing guitar, violin, mandolin, and ukulele, off and on, for more than 60 years. I guess I'm just not a "purist". I don't play out so I only have to amuse myself and I don't really care if I don't sound like Segovia or Bream or Stevie Ray Vaughn or Keith Richards or whoever's music I happen to be amusing myself with. I will never understand anyone saying "I don't sound like so-and-so, so I'm not going to play anymore." Unless you're getting paid to sound some particular way and it's your livelihood, WHO CARES?
Old 09-21-2020, 05:58 AM

I enjoy playing, or perhaps better phrased playing with, both classical and steel string guitar. And have at various times decided to stick to one or the other in order to actually play well. I do not use a classical position nor do I use nails. So I play both steel and nylon quite similarly.
I do find that my ears do not care to mix the sounds. It seems I have different aural taste buds for steel than for nylon and I play one or the other for short periods then switch again, days or a couple weeks at most, although I may favor one or the other for months. I believe at heart I love them equally.
Old 09-22-2020, 02:26 AM

Steel string, classical, they're just vehicles to express emotion, choose the one that best suits what your feeling. Goes for any instrument really.
Old 09-23-2020, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldduc View Post
I've been playing guitar, violin, mandolin, and ukulele, off and on, for more than 60 years. I guess I'm just not a "purist". I don't play out so I only have to amuse myself and I don't really care if I don't sound like Segovia or Bream or Stevie Ray Vaughn or Keith Richards or whoever's music I happen to be amusing myself with. I will never understand anyone saying "I don't sound like so-and-so, so I'm not going to play anymore." Unless you're getting paid to sound some particular way and it's your livelihood, WHO CARES?
Good point.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 09-23-2020, 10:00 PM

I don’t know why anyone would criticize a nylon player for choosing to play with just the fingertips. It is just a personal preference, and can sound just as dynamic as with nails. Have a look at some of Rob Macillop’s videos.... no nails of any consequence in sight on his right hand... and he sounds amazing.
Old 09-24-2020, 07:08 AM
Charter Member

This is the best I could get my nylon to sound. It's my own composition.

My SoundCloud page

Old 09-24-2020, 07:31 AM

Yes, I got rid of my nylon string when I realized I hadn't picked it up in a year (maybe two). I love the sound, but needed to narrow my focus.
Old 09-24-2020, 03:20 PM

Default I shelved (retired) my classical

I had a Cornett. My dad raced to the music store to trade it for a guitar when I said I wanted to go guitar. I had a flat top for five years and then traded it to classical and learned just enough to get ok technique and enjoy it more for folk songs
So for the last 30 years I have rotated from the classical to camera to steel strings and back. I enjoy it all.
If you can grow nails it is easier. But nothing wrong with playing with flesh. And remember Willie N. Plays pretty good with a pick.

Last edited by whvick; 09-24-2020 at 06:32 PM.
Old 09-26-2020, 02:48 PM

Barry,

Sorry to hear your nylon gee-tar is collecting dust. A few suggestion if I may.

1) Try not to bite your nails.

I'm sure your mom told you that years ago. Most moms do. Now if you must bite your nails try just the nails on your fretting hand. Thats what I do. I'm up in years and my mom's is not around to scold me for biting them. But my wife has now taken her place and she'll glare at me and say "stop that".

2) As for technique I would highly suggest Aaron Schearer's Method Books 1 and 2 and or Bradford Werner's Method books. Both give clear and concise detail as to the proper positioning of the hand and fingers along with how to execute free stroke and rest stroke. One of Bradford Werner's books is over a hundred pages with scale and arpeggios to train each individual finger
("I" indice, "M" medio, "A" anulor and Thumb)... I use them (the practice scales and arpeggios) 15 to 20 minutes a day to warm up.

3) Both these study books also give instructions on the proper way to file and care for your nails. I myself take vitamins specific to nail health and growth and for years I have used and swear by using Sally Hanson "Hard as Nails"
Old 09-26-2020, 08:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Learning View Post
Barry,

Sorry to hear your nylon gee-tar is collecting dust. A few suggestion if I may.

1) Try not to bite your nails.

I'm sure your mom told you that years ago. Most moms do. Now if you must bite your nails try just the nails on your fretting hand. Thats what I do. I'm up in years and my mom's is not around to scold me for biting them. But my wife has now taken her place and she'll glare at me and say "stop that".

2) As for technique I would highly suggest Aaron Schearer's Method Books 1 and 2 and or Bradford Werner's Method books. Both give clear and concise detail as to the proper positioning of the hand and fingers along with how to execute free stroke and rest stroke. One of Bradford Werner's books is over a hundred pages with scale and arpeggios to train each individual finger
("I" indice, "M" medio, "A" anulor and Thumb)... I use them (the practice scales and arpeggios) 15 to 20 minutes a day to warm up.

3) Both these study books also give instructions on the proper way to file and care for your nails. I myself take vitamins specific to nail health and growth and for years I have used and swear by using Sally Hanson "Hard as Nails"
Thanks, but the thing is I'm 65 and I want to spend most of my guitar time playing and making music, not trying to make music. If I was a 40 years younger I wouldn't mind wasting a few days a week chasing the correct right hand classical tone for a few years, but I don't have those years now.

I'm not a nail biter, btw. Pizza yes, finger nails, no

My SoundCloud page

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical