The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-13-2018, 04:09 PM

Default Martin Dreadnaught GAS

Hiya folks!!

I totally have GAS right now, and would really appreciate some suggestions:

I'm a singer-songwriter; I do weekly gigs with just my voice and guitar through a small PA system. Original stuff mainly, with a mix of strumming and fingerpicking. Think John Mayer, Ryan Adams, Nick Drake, Ray LaMontagne.

My two main acoustics are a 2011 Gibson Hummingbird True Vintage VOS with an L.R. Baggs Anthem SL pickup, and a 2014 Taylor 324ce-k fall limited edition (in koa). I love my 'bird especially. It is and will probably always be my favorite guitar - it sounds like honey, and records beautifully; it has a very balanced, versatile sound that sits well with vocals; the Baggs pickup is pretty nice. The Taylor is cool too: very playable, and with more shimmery harmonics (courtesy of the koa). But I'm not a huge fan of the ES2 pickup - I generally have to turn the highs down quite a bit, and the mids are kind of honky and harsh. I usually bust it out when the soft sweetness of the HB isn't going to give me enough grunt.

We recently moved to an area that is fairly close to the Martin guitar factory, and we even know some folks who work there now - which was just the terrible encouragement I needed to start pining over a Martin dread (it's good to support local businesses, after all! Hehehe)

We went for a factory tour in March and the 2018 D-18 I tried felt really, really good. I thought about going back for it for a while, because it totally stole my heart. But I can't help but think that a rosewood guitar would better compliment what I already have. Specifically, like a D-28, HD-28, or HD-35.

Obviously when I'm ready to buy I will go and try all of them before I make a decision. But does anyone have any suggestions as to which might be a better choice? I ask mainly because most stores don't seem to keep all of the models I mentioned in stock.

I want another solid all-round workhorse for gigging. Something with a little more 'oomph', fire and size to the tone than my Gibson, but with a thicker bass and a smoother, more balanced overall sound than the Taylor. Probably with the standard Fishman Aura VT Enhance (curious how this compares with the Baggs pickups?).

What would you if you were me?

Cheers,
Dan
Old 11-13-2018, 04:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancup View Post
I'm a singer-songwriter; I do weekly gigs with just my voice and guitar through a small PA system. Original stuff mainly, with a mix of strumming and fingerpicking. Think John Mayer, Ryan Adams, Nick Drake, Ray LaMontagne.

But I can't help but think that a rosewood guitar would better compliment what I already have. Specifically, like a D-28, HD-28, or HD-35.

Obviously when I'm ready to buy I will go and try all of them before I make a decision. But does anyone have any suggestions as to which might be a better choice?

What would you if you were me?
HD-35. I played one for 6 or 7 years. It has the mid-scoop that ideal for singer-songwriter stuff: your voice will be nicely ensconced above its bass and below its trebles. I wouldn't chose and HD-35 for bluegrass, but it sure works well for the style you've mentioned. Mine responded when I pushed it with a pick and handled fingerstyle stuff quite well.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

I like the new D-28 quite a bit but have not tried the new D-35/HD-35. I continually hear great things about the new 35's but haven't run across one yet? Not a big fan of the new HD-28 so much but I'm sure others here like it. I suggest you play the 28's and 35's and something will probably speak to you. Best of luck!

By the way...welcome to the forum!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 11-13-2018, 05:28 PM

I have been fairly unimpressed by the standard martins (not impressed by their sound, their construction is great) so if I was gonna do it I’d go for a higher end model or talk to some of ur friends and have them put the word out to have the guys at the end of the line listen for one that is truly remarkable and have them set it back for u
Old 11-13-2018, 06:01 PM

There are three models that just really do it for me:
HD-28
HD-28V
J-40

My wife was filled with dread when we went to the Martin factory but I found that the only guitar which sounded as good (to my ears) as my 28V was the J-40 they had in the high end room behind the gift shop.

If you want something smaller than a dreadnought look at the J-40 but if you want that projection, 28 or 28V would be my choices.
You won't go too far wrong with any of these.

P.S.
If you've got buddies at the factory I'm sure you can try out whatever you like if you ask nicely.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:09 PM

+1 for the HD-28V

It's a great all rounder, with plenty of oomph!

Has the quintessential Martin dread sound, without running yourself all the way up the ladder (in price).
Old 11-13-2018, 06:56 PM

Stick with the D-18. Resistance is futile.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:01 PM
Charter Member

Hi Dan!

Welcome to the AGF! I hope you like it here!

All the Martin guitar models that have been mentioned here will work well. The D-18, D-28, HD-28, D-35 -- these are all classics and sound great to my ears.

If you like the D-18, that's a great place to start! It's cost effective and sounds great!

- Glenn
Old 11-13-2018, 07:04 PM

The answer of course is the one you like best. Take the time and do the research. Since you live in the area, once you decide, this is the way to do it:

https://www.martinguitar.com/about/v...ivery-program/
Old 11-13-2018, 07:11 PM

I have a Martin D-28, bought it used about ten years ago. Just one of those things you have to do right? D-28...THE bluegrass guitar...well...yes and no. Its nice, dont get me wrong..but. About six months ago I picked up a Takamine EF-340tt used from a guy. Basically is a Takamine D-18, just about the same specs neck width, body type, mahogany, pretty close for sure and it sounds great, new its about half the price of the Martin. So I have both now, kinda'. If I were to do it all over, new purchase, it would be the D-18 for sure, love the mahogany sound better for picking. Now, the D-28 does match my voice better as does the Martin 000-15, so you have to take that in if you sing. Its all what you like, but I like the D-18 better.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:37 PM

You could probably make arrangements to go and play all of those models at the Martin factory. Then pick the one you like the best. If you are looking for a killer guitar w/rosewood b/s you might do yourself a favour by checking this one out. https://www.alvarezguitars.com/guitar/dym70sb/
Old 11-13-2018, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

See my other post, sent this before completed.

Last edited by gmel555; 11-13-2018 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Posted before completed
Old 11-13-2018, 08:10 PM
Charter Member

I’m a longtime singer songwriter and in fact first started guitar just to accompany my singing and help me “write”; but pretty quickly became increasingly interested in improving my playing. To my ears and experience the scooped mids in a rosewood body do better accompany singing acoustic music. HOWEVER, having a guitar you love, feels and sounds great to you and that will inspire you is #1. I would test drive as many as you can and when u fall in love w one go for it. I’m not inclined to point you to a specific model as even two of the same model might sound very different.

PS: the guitars that have inspired me are due to combination of tone, playability, beauty of its appearance and yes I have a custom shop all mahog 12 fret, short scale 000-15SM that has the most gorgeous sweet woody aroma everytime I open the case (in addition to a great tone.) Good luck. It’s music, follow your heart and soul (and ears).
Old 11-13-2018, 08:35 PM
Charter Member

Well now the OP didn't mention the HD-28V. That's a totally different animal. I prefer an Adirondack topped version with 1 3/4" nut. Either that or go whole hog (no pun intended since we're talking rosewood here?) and get a D-28 Marquis. FYI...Jon still does both new at MFG.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 11-13-2018, 08:51 PM

My first choice would be the HD35 followed closely by the HD28. IMO the D18 is a drier sound and not much of a divergence from that Gibson sound space, albeit with a Martin vibe.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion