The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-05-2016, 05:15 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Congrats! Sure looks beautiful.
Old 07-08-2016, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

Default How they're shaping up...

From the very start the 00 was an amazing instrument, outstanding woody tone, smooth, mellow, great volume, good separation...very lightly built, but the biggest thing that I noticed was the playability. The guitar almost played itself.

The OM...not so. Great sound, bright with amazing separation, incredible sustain, but a little bit of a buzz on one of the strings (probably down to things having shifted during the journey over here) but the main thing was it felt like quite hard work to play by comparison to the amazing 00. Not that it wasn't lovely...but just not as relaxing to play.

So today Tom came over and tweaked, and fettled, and changed the strings to try and solve some of these little "issues", and...

The difference is quite frankly unbelievable...in every way it is perfect!

When I first played the two instruments I thought that clearly the 00 is the better instrument, perhaps the best instrument I've ever played, to OM very good indeed, but not magical. But now, after it being adjusted I'm not sure I don't think that it's even better than the 00.

I am absolutely flabbergasted at how good these instruments are. I feel privileged to have had the opportunity to be Tom's first commission and so lucky that I was in a position to be able to afford two of them.

He is undoubtedly an amazing luther and anyone who can acquire one of his instruments will be a very lucky player indeed.
Martin OM-28 Authentic '31
Mear & Gray OM18
Martin 0-28vs
Stephen Eden Crossover
Hahn 228 Telecaster
National Delphi Resonator

YouTube

Past guitars from: Mear & Gray, Tom Sands, Stefan Sobell, Dana Bourgeois, Marc Beneteau, Nigel Forster, Peter Abnett, Avalon, Lowden, Martin (vintage & modern), Gibson, Taylor, Yamaha, Fender and more...
Old 07-14-2016, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Wow, congratulations. Beautiful guitars from a world class luthier. What woods were used for the guitars' top? I'm also wondering if those guitars had French polish finish or nitrocellulose finish. Thank you for sharing!
Old 07-14-2016, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

the OMC is Wenge and Sitka and the 00 is Koa and Engleman and yes, it's a French Polish finish.
Mear & Gray OM18
Martin 0-28vs
Stephen Eden Crossover
Hahn 228 Telecaster

YouTube

Past guitars from: Mear & Gray, Tom Sands, Stefan Sobell, Dana Bourgeois, Marc Beneteau, Nigel Forster, Peter Abnett, Avalon, Lowden, Martin (vintage & modern), Gibson, Taylor, Yamaha, Fender and more...
Old 07-15-2016, 02:49 AM

I get to play these Bad Boys later today - wowza!

Cheers,
Steve
Old 07-15-2016, 09:05 PM

That rosette is insanely beautiful. Great choice!

Burner MS #0013
Taylor 414rce
Taylor 716ce-ltd
Cordoba 75r
Old 07-15-2016, 09:18 PM
Charter Member

Is the backstrap red? If so, cool! If not, still gorgeous guitars.
Old 07-17-2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
I get to play these Bad Boys later today - wowza
...and I did. Extensively, and over three days.

Well I can say safely that these are some of the very best "apprentice" guitars I have played. Mr. Sands has nailed the Somogyi tone and response right out of the blocks. Adam is a hugely lucky guy because I don't know of any player who would not be thrilled to have either of these guitars, let alone both.

They created quite a stir amongst quite a few people there and, interestingly, also amongst some who had not previously been attracted to this type of guitar. There was then great fun to be had comparing the 00 and OM. Consensus was that both were great but that the 00 nicked it...I think. Very warm and responsive guitar. I don't know I can estimate the precise contibution of the Koa to that, but it sure did make for a very, very pretty guitar.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 07-17-2016, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
Is the backstrap red? If so, cool! If not, still gorgeous guitars.
The Backstrap is black (inlaid)...but to be honest, with the back of the headstock being red as is the edging of the rosette it's about the right amount.

Too much red always has the opportunity to make things look like a 1980s bathroom!
Mear & Gray OM18
Martin 0-28vs
Stephen Eden Crossover
Hahn 228 Telecaster

YouTube

Last edited by Adamski; 07-26-2016 at 01:01 PM.
Old 07-17-2016, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post

Well I can say safely that these are some of the very best "apprentice" guitars I have played. Mr. Sands has nailed the Somogyi tone and response right out of the blocks. Adam is a hugely lucky guy because I don't know of any player who would not be thrilled to have either of these guitars, let alone both.

They created quite a stir amongst quite a few people there and, interestingly, also amongst some who had not previously been attracted to this type of guitar. There was then great fun to be had comparing the 00 and OM. Consensus was that both were great but that the 00 nicked it...I think. Very warm and responsive guitar. I don't know I can estimate the precise contibution of the Koa to that, but it sure did make for a very, very pretty guitar.
I was extremely happy to have universally positive feedback from everyone who played them. I knew them to be exceptional...but it's still very nice to have that ratified by your fellow "guitar geeks".

I am already talking to Tom about making me another guitar. Perhaps another OMC or perhaps an MD. We shall see, but one thing I know is that I have found someone who makes EXACTLY the guitar that I want, and that is a rare thing.
Mear & Gray OM18
Martin 0-28vs
Stephen Eden Crossover
Hahn 228 Telecaster

YouTube

Old 07-17-2016, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeastman View Post
That rosette is insanely beautiful. Great choice!
Thanks, it is lovely, yes.
Mear & Gray OM18
Martin 0-28vs
Stephen Eden Crossover
Hahn 228 Telecaster

YouTube

Old 07-17-2016, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
Congrats! Sure looks beautiful.
Thanks Matthew, I am delighted with them both.
Mear & Gray OM18
Martin 0-28vs
Stephen Eden Crossover
Hahn 228 Telecaster

YouTube

Old 07-17-2016, 11:00 AM

Adam brought both these beauties to my annual bash yesterday. Gobsmacked with both of them. Really great instruments, both a joy to play...
Old 07-17-2016, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamski View Post
The Backstrap is black (inlaid)...but to be honest, with the back of the headlock being red and the edging of the rosette it's about the right amount.

Too much red always has the opportunity to make things look like a 1980s bathroom!
The backstrap is the veneer on the back of the headstock. I think we're talking about the same thing. It's a very cool idea, regardless.
Old 07-17-2016, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianLP59 View Post
Adam brought both these beauties to my annual bash yesterday. Gobsmacked with both of them. Really great instruments, both a joy to play...
Thanks Ian
Mear & Gray OM18
Martin 0-28vs
Stephen Eden Crossover
Hahn 228 Telecaster

YouTube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop