The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 04-26-2014, 11:31 AM

Not sure about top 5 but I have my Holst solid top / laminate back and sides and if I had to do it again I would still choose Steve - a bargain for the money and a great guy.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:51 AM

I think that Steve Gilchrist of mandolin fame is definitely in my top handful.

I also love CB Hill's work, although he's below the usual radar.

D'Aquisto was a genius, exceeded perhaps only by his mentor D'Angelico.

So that's four. Round it out at five, by adding a Monteleone I played recently that was the equal of anything.

And I'd like to add Kim Walker, but that would be on instinct only as I have not played his archtops, just his flattops.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Mott View Post
D'Aquisto was a genius, exceeded perhaps only by his mentor D'Angelico.
I find this interesting. Many people believe D'Aquisto advanced the art and form of the archtop even beyond what D'Angelico did, and many consider his instruments to be the pinnacle of archtop design. Personally (and ignorantly, as I've never played either), I am much more enthralled with D'Angelico's work than with D'Aquisto's.

Perhaps that will change if I'm ever lucky enough to find myself with one of each in the same room so I can compare! I think I have a greater chance of winning the lottery!
Old 04-28-2014, 10:40 AM

Just to contribute the thoughts of another....

A few years ago, I purchased a Benedetto Frank Vignola Standard signature guitar from an optometrist in Ohio. He was a very interesting gentleman, and I wish we had had more time to converse. He seemed to have quite the collection. He had also owned a Benedetto Frank Vignola Deluxe (similar to the one that I bought, but with maple/German combo). He also owned the Benedetto Satin Doll (do a search if interested, it is currently for sale), a gorgeous parlor sized Golden Period instrument built by Bob himself. He also owned a Monteleone, among many others that I can't remember. He said unequivocally, his favorite archtop that he had ever played was his Steve Grimes guitar. I've never played a Grimes or even seen one in person, but after hearing that I will go out of my way to try one if I ever have the chance.

Very interesting indeed!
Old 04-28-2014, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
Just to contribute the thoughts of another....

A few years ago, I purchased a Benedetto Frank Vignola Standard signature guitar from an optometrist in Ohio. He was a very interesting gentleman, and I wish we had had more time to converse. He seemed to have quite the collection. He had also owned a Benedetto Frank Vignola Deluxe (similar to the one that I bought, but with maple/German combo). He also owned the Benedetto Satin Doll (do a search if interested, it is currently for sale), a gorgeous parlor sized Golden Period instrument built by Bob himself. He also owned a Monteleone, among many others that I can't remember. He said unequivocally, his favorite archtop that he had ever played was his Steve Grimes guitar. I've never played a Grimes or even seen one in person, but after hearing that I will go out of my way to try one if I ever have the chance.

Very interesting indeed!
I'll add my two cents and concur that Steve Grimes is one of the heavies. He seems to go under a lot of people's radar, maybe because he lives on Maui.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Mott View Post
And I'd like to add Kim Walker, but that would be on instinct only as I have not played his archtops, just his flattops.
Your instincts are not misguided. Walker archtops can only be obtained used, as he is building strictly flattops nowadays. Here's a photo of mine, the next to the last one he built. The last one, similar in design except it has Super 400 style fretboard inlays, is available at Luthier's Collection. I have no connection with this sale, except (full disclosure) I do know the seller.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:23 AM

Lucky me that I can comment on these!

Quote:
I find this interesting. Many people believe D'Aquisto advanced the art and form of the archtop even beyond what D'Angelico did, and many consider his instruments to be the pinnacle of archtop design. Personally (and ignorantly, as I've never played either), I am much more enthralled with D'Angelico's work than with D'Aquisto's.
I am a huge admirer of D'Aquisto, even though I have only played a half dozen or so. Starting with his work with D'Angelico, he not only updated the design and style aspects of the guitar considerably, he revoiced the instrument to cover many different kinds of music. He pretty much invented the modern archtop IMO. His influence is pervasive. If you've ever played a Andersen, Manzer, Walker, Trenier, or Collings or any of the modern makers, you've heard the influence of his sound. By all means keep your eye out for any opportunity to play one. For me it was a religious experience.

Quote:
I owned a Grimes Montreux for about 10 years. It was a fantastic guitar. It was x-braced, very light weight, very much in the style of an 80's D'Aquisto, with Steve's personal aesthetic and musical touch. I sold it around 2009. I don't have all the money or all the space in the world so although it was a tough decision, I don't regret it. I would rate Steve and his guitars quite high in the world ranking too.

As a side note, I really respect Benedetto for all the archtop evangelizing he has done, he has had a very positive influence. But I have never played one of his guitars that really moved me. But I acknowledge that what we all like is pretty personal and subjective. No doubt that he is greatest marketing guy in the history of archtops.

Circle 'Round the Sun

Last edited by Archtop Guy; 04-29-2014 at 09:29 AM.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
The way I think about these two giants is: 1) D'Aquisto, without a doubt, took the form further than his mentor, although he produced something like a quarter as many instruments; 2) But D'Angelico in a sense made D'Aquisto possible, so it's hard to say D'Aquisto exceeded him.

If you want to compare, there's no better place than Rudy's Soho on Broome Street in New York City.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archtop Guy View Post
I am a huge admirer of D'Aquisto, even though I have only played a half dozen or so. Starting with his work with D'Angelico, he not only updated the design and style aspects of the guitar considerably, he revoiced the instrument to cover many different kinds of music. He pretty much invented the modern archtop IMO. His influence is pervasive. If you've ever played a Andersen, Manzer, Walker, Trenier, or Collings or any of the modern makers, you've heard the influence of his sound. By all means keep your eye out for any opportunity to play one. For me it was a religious experience.
Totally agree on all. The first D'Aquistos I played, including his final Centura, simply astonished me and were quite beyond anything I'd ever heard.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemonk View Post
Your instincts are not misguided. Walker archtops can only be obtained used, as he is building strictly flattops nowadays. Here's a photo of mine, the next to the last one he built. The last one, similar in design except it has Super 400 style fretboard inlays, is available at Luthier's Collection. I have no connection with this sale, except (full disclosure) I do know the seller.
Yes, everything I've read (and the Walker flattops I've heard) suggest this guy is a giant. Interestingly, he cites Steve Gilchrist as an influence. That is a LOVELY instrument.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:10 PM

I'd say it would be a shame to leave out Dave Schneider of Woodstock, (Bearsville) NY. http://www.schneiderguitars.com

Taught by D'Aquisto, dave has almost 50 years in and is going strong.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:38 PM

I would add Jim Triggs out in Kansas.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:06 PM
Charter Member

Have not been lucky enough to play a D'aquisto but I have owned two Andersen archtops. I still own an Anderson oval hole archtop. I am very impressed by his work and I think he continues to come up with new innovations for the archtop world.
I would also really like to play a Ken Parker archtop.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Jones View Post
That's a very well thought out post and I have to agree. I think we could each add our 5 favorites to the bottom of this list based on our personal experiences and sensibilities. I haven't had the privilege of playing all these, but I'd put Collings, D'Ambrosio, Mowry and Kim Walker on the list of builders that interest me.
Don't know if Kim Walker is still building arch-tops.

He hasn't taken deposits for any orders since 2006.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archtop Guy View Post
This thread embodies everything that I love and hate about internet forums.

Love: direct connection with folks who have knowledge and personal experience different from mine. I love that I get to talk archtops with real musicians who actually own and play great instruments from the likes of Collings, Campellone, etc. Thank you.

Hate: repeating of opinions from folks who heard something from some guy on the internet, who himself heard something from some guy on the internet, who himself heard something... you get the idea.

Although I can fall into hypocrisy like all good humans, I really try to only comment on topics where I have personal experience or a little knowledge outside the ordinary.

This thread would be better with a slightly different title, like FIVE FAVORITE BUILDERS. Then we could all comment intelligently, give the reasons for our preferences, and not force us to pretend to have knowledge greater than actual.
I haven't played any of the guitars listed in this thread except one Heritage. I don't get around much any more I guess.

Youtube

France (Film Musique & Fantomas)
---
Guitars: (2007) big Vietnamese archtop; (1997) Guild F65ce,
(1988) Guild D60, (1972) Guild D25, two other Vietnamese flat-tops and one classical.

Old 05-02-2014, 05:59 PM

I played this Mark Lacy archtop today at Gryphon Stringed Instruments:

Lacy Orpheus

Feather weight, responsive to soft or hard touch, beautiful. Even reasonably priced. Top of the mark quality.

I'm surprised Mark hasn't been on anyone's list yet.

Circle 'Round the Sun

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops