The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 01-01-2014, 07:04 PM

Thanks again for everybody's input! Just so you know my main reason for getting the AT 16 is to play it! I don't and never have bought a guitar for only the investment . If the AT 16 does not sound great to me I will send it back and keep looking. But if I like it and keep it I think that there is a good chance it will go up in value and if not the pleasure I get from playing it you can't put a value on!

I just recently called Collings and the person I talked with who would know said that Aaron Huff has been making the AT 16 for 4 to 5 years. It's possible that they have stopped making the AT 16 temporarily, I will ask about that when I call Collings tomorrow if they are open.

I played my first Collings in 1991 and bought my first Collings 91 SJ in 1993 which I still have. I also have a F-2/SJ #11 which is one of the 21 guitars George Gruhn ordered from Bill in 1988.

jebsong

Well played 91 Collings SJ this guitar was in mint condition when I bought it in 93. LOL

1989 Collings Gruhn F-2. I play this one to but carefully, the 91 is my beater!

Last edited by jebsong; 01-01-2014 at 09:13 PM. Reason: remove photo.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:18 AM

Congrats, Jeb, you're my kind of guy: don't miss an opportunity.

BTW, great guitars! (And great music room.)

Circle 'Round the Sun
Old 01-02-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archtop Guy View Post
Congrats, Jeb, you're my kind of guy: don't miss an opportunity.

BTW, great guitars! (And great music room.)
Thanks Guy!

I'm calling Kim today to get the AT 16 and hopefully in may hands by the middle of next week. I talked with the person in charge of keeping the records at Collings guitars today. He told me that the only AT 16 on record built prior to 2000 was in 99 so almost all the AT 16's have been made in the 2000's. He also confirmed that for the last 4 to 5 years Aaron Huff has built the AT 16's and also the AT 17's but Bill still helps with the 17's. They have also stopped taking orders for the AT 16 and AT 17 for the time being but they are still making the ones that are on order. So far they have made a total of 74 At 16's.

Thanks again for all your help and everyone's help!

jebsong
Old 01-04-2014, 02:01 AM

The 17" Collings archtop that I played was x-braced, and I just assumed that he always did it that way. I now notice on his web site that he specifically avoids mention of the bracing, but he sort of implies that the 16" is like an old L-5, i.e. parallel braced. Do you know what you're getting? Let us know as soon as you know. We want to be educated!

Circle 'Round the Sun
Old 01-06-2014, 06:44 PM

Quote:
The 17" Collings archtop that I played was x-braced, and I just assumed that he always did it that way. I now notice on his web site that he specifically avoids mention of the bracing, but he sort of implies that the 16" is like an old L-5, i.e. parallel braced. Do you know what you're getting? Let us know as soon as you know. We want to be educated!
I'm pretty sure that the AT 16 is X braced but I will check it with my mechanics mirror when it arrives. The shipping was delayed because of the weather so it will probably be Friday before I get it.

jebsong
Old 01-08-2014, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebsong View Post
The shipping was delayed because of the weather so it will probably be Friday before I get it.
Hang in there! It's hard waiting.

Circle 'Round the Sun
Old 01-10-2014, 05:49 AM

Well, look at this: http://gryphonstrings.com/instpix/42597/index.php . First new AT-16 I have spotted online in a long while. And it is SOLD! In under 2 weeks of its listing!
Old 01-10-2014, 03:15 PM

What's a ballpark price one would budget for AT 16 used (assuming they can find one)?
Thanks
JT
Old 01-11-2014, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Hang in there! It's hard waiting.
Hi Guy,

Got the AT 16 today and took it out of the case about 2 hours ago and it sounds great! It has X bracing and has a great warm creamy tone perfect for what I play or try to play LOL! I play a lot of country blues and ragtime but I'm out of practice! I want to learn 30's swing jazz and I think the AT 16 is perfect for this and even some Gypsy Django swing jazz.

Thanks again for all your advice I really appreciate it!

Got to get back to the AT 16!

Take care, Jeb
Old 01-11-2014, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcgeek View Post
What's a ballpark price one would budget for AT 16 used (assuming they can find one)?
Thanks
JT
The price for a new one is 12K but Collings is not taking any new orders at this time, The used ones are selling for about 10K and they come up for sale quite often it seams to me. The best way to find one is to call all the Collings dealers and ask them to let you know if they get one. I found mine just by luck when I called a dealer who had just heard they were getting one within the week and they put it on hold for me.

Good luck, Jeb
Old 01-11-2014, 08:30 AM

Congrats, Jeb! Any photos of your new beauty? What year or serial number did you get? Be sure to post this over on the Collings Forum as well!

The new AT16 that was just at Gryphon was listed (and most likely sold) for $12.5k. The last new one I saw sell was a short scale and varnished version at AMW that sold in the $14.5k range. I agree with Jeb, used prices seem to be hovering around $10 or $10.5k when you can find one. AMW currently has a used one on consignment listed at $10.5k. It's not on their website - you have to call if interested.

Congrats again, Jeb!
Old 01-11-2014, 10:12 AM

Jeb, Jeb, I am enjoying your new guitar vicariously! Man, sounds like a sweetheart of an instrument. Keep in touch. That is a rare and beautiful instrument, so we all want pictures, audio, video!

Circle 'Round the Sun
Old 01-11-2014, 11:56 AM

Sorry to hijack, but Archtop Guy, I just visited your website and listened to a lot of your music. I love your playing - all of it, but especially the acoustic archtop stuff. The video of you playing "Autumn Leaves" on the Trenier is sublime!

Great job!

Last edited by backdrifter; 01-11-2014 at 12:03 PM.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:47 PM

Smile

Hi everyone,
Here are some photos of my Collings AT 16. I think it sounds a lot like a 1920's Gibson L-5 it's unbelievable, the more I play it the better it sounds!

jebsong

Old 01-14-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
Sorry to hijack, but Archtop Guy, I just visited your website and listened to a lot of your music. I love your playing - all of it, but especially the acoustic archtop stuff. The video of you playing "Autumn Leaves" on the Trenier is sublime!

Great job!
Thank you, Backdrifter. I'm really glad you dig it, in spite of my handcrafted '90's web technology! I do feel like a bit of an evangelist for the powers of the acoustic archtop. Once you head down that path, and for me into jazz as well, there is a lifetime of challenges and joy waiting. Looks like Jeb is at the start of a wonderful journey too.

Circle 'Round the Sun

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops