The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 03-30-2013, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Lloyd Loar had a great design...just a misguided marketing ploy...shoot, Columbus thought he was in India...
Les Paul's were built for jazz and 40's pop. Don't tell Jimmy Page or Clapton that.

I'm enjoying dipping my toe into the archtop pool. I am finally closing the deal on my ply-top '38 Kalamazoo today and couldn't be happier. It has a great tone unto itself. I'll be interested to see what happens as I get to know it and then try a bunch of solid tops.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
B half dim, I played a Tacoma archie once...I will own one someday. Truth is, Tacoma didn't know anything about making a traditional archtop...but they made one anyway, and there's never been another guitar like it.
There is a post for one to sell on the belgium jazz forum on march 7.

http://www.youtube.com/user/batzic
Old 03-30-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L50EF15 View Post
Bm7b5 - Thank you for turning on the bulb over my head: I always wondered how pressed archtops were made.
I'm not trying to educate anyone, you of all given your an Archie fan and when it comes to them, I'm a novice.

I just figured that since B half diminished seemed like an un-called for subtle put down, I was simply making the point that while the preposition that Tacoma didn't know anything about making a traditional arch top, I do know that unlike everyone else at that price point, only Tacoma was carving their tops, and I also know that they are hard to find, and have held their value. Typically selling near, at or above original retail. I can't say that for my Taylor's or my McPherson.

All I was trying to convery was, that was one "DOUBLE SWEET GUITAR", and that that was one of the few times being prudent cost me, instead of saving me 40%.

I'm certain you know how all Archie's are made, the variations in builders, and probably a lot more.

McPherson 4.5W RW/ZI
Taylor 812ce - Taylor 514ce - NS32-ce
Adamas W-597, Epi John Lee Hooker Sig #23 of 220, Squire Black Strat
Jay Turser Maple OM
Taylor W14ce / 422-R Babies x 3
Fishman 130W Tri-Amped Performer Acoustic Amp
Old 03-30-2013, 12:21 PM

Bm7b5, I was being facetious.

The Tacoma was a killer guitar, but a lot of folks didn't pay any attention to them because they looked "weird." Their loss.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 03-31-2013, 05:03 PM

L50EF15

Heat and pressure with a top and bottom mold in a press.

Voila... McArchtop

I owned an Epiphone Elitist Byrdland with a solid pressed top.. while a bit soft
as an acoustic, very fine tone amplified.

One day I will find a Tacoma archtop.. I have one of their mandolins.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:19 PM

I think this is a pair of L5s, but there's something about the midrange on one of them that makes me think round hole L4. I don't have this track on my copy of the CD. Gotta hunt this down:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVaaF-cjIHA

Last edited by L50EF15; 04-01-2013 at 07:13 PM. Reason: fixed link
Old 04-01-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
I think this is a pair of L5s, but there's something about the midrange on one of them that makes me think round hole L4. I don't have this track on my copy of the CD. Gotta hunt this down:

ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVaaF-cjIHA
Please note the lead "h" in "http" is missing and has to be added.

That is freakin' brilliant! Didn't know about that CD. Bought it and Jazz Guitar Greats immediately - thanks! I had the Lang/Kress/McDonough CD but hadn't branched out.

Man, this archtop stuff is...addicting. I recently got a great old Martin 00 flattop. Love it and enjoy playing it...but it doesn't have the romance(??) that an archtop - even my lovely, lowly ply top K-zoo - has. I'm not running out and buying 00-driven music the same way I am with archtops...
Old 04-01-2013, 07:39 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
Please note the lead "h" in "http" is missing and has to be added.

That is freakin' brilliant! Didn't know about that CD. Bought it and Jazz Guitar Greats immediately - thanks! I had the Lang/Kress/McDonough CD but hadn't branched out.

Man, this archtop stuff is...addicting. I recently got a great old Martin 00 flattop. Love it and enjoy playing it...but it doesn't have the romance(??) that an archtop - even my lovely, lowly ply top K-zoo - has. I'm not running out and buying 00-driven music the same way I am with archtops...
Thank you for catching the botched link, and I'm glad you were able to chase down the botched link

Yeah, there are some great things on the Yazoo label. The album that snared me is one called "Fun On The Frets". That one I have on cassette. My deck blew out before I could transfer it to digital, and I haven't been able to find an mp3 or CD of the thing. Drat. I think it' s out of print.

That one has an entire side(!) of Gutuso and Kress duets. Side Two has Kress and McDonough for half of it. The mind blowing stuff is the last three or four tracks. It's George Van Eps just LOSING HIS MIND AND BLOWING EVERYONE ELSE'S!

I know there's a clip of some of the Van Eps stuff on YouTube. Hang on to your hat...
Old 04-01-2013, 08:20 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGl-tbg13HQ

From '49, I believe. No overdubs, and he's still doing pickstyle or pick-and-fingers here. Later, Van Eps went electric 7-string and played fingerstyle exclusively.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:31 AM

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGl-tbg13HQ

From '49, I believe. No overdubs, and he's still doing pickstyle or pick-and-fingers here. Later, Van Eps went electric 7-string and played fingerstyle exclusively.
Wow - thanks. Very different use of an archtop compared to Freddie Green's heavy-duty four-to-the-bar, sparse-note rhythm comping.

GVE is one of those guys I saw in Guitar Player in the '70's when I starting reading the magazine - no clue who he was, but it was clear he was very well respected. Nice to circle back and give him a listen.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:33 PM

Love that van Epps link, great stuff.

Circle 'Round the Sun
Old 04-02-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Bm7b5, I was being facetious.

The Tacoma was a killer guitar, but a lot of folks didn't pay any attention to them because they looked "weird." Their loss.
For the record, while I may in fact be half diminished intellectually, the name is B minor 7th flat 5th.

And, I've been called worse.

McPherson 4.5W RW/ZI
Taylor 812ce - Taylor 514ce - NS32-ce
Adamas W-597, Epi John Lee Hooker Sig #23 of 220, Squire Black Strat
Jay Turser Maple OM
Taylor W14ce / 422-R Babies x 3
Fishman 130W Tri-Amped Performer Acoustic Amp
Old 04-02-2013, 07:20 PM

I'm glad to know that my proselytizing has borne fruit :0 This is also from the "Fun On The Frets" record. It's a great example of the tonal and stylistic variety archtops can give you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oogT4IGvDR0

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Tags
archtop, eddie lang, l50