The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-16-2018, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindness View Post
The Elixirs are a fantastic string. They sound great, are comfortable to play and last long.
Yup, Elixir Nanoweb PBs are pretty much my go-to acoustic string anymore. They sounded great on my Martin - they sound great on my X20, they even sounded pretty acceptable on the cheap little Gretsch Jim Dandy I had...
Old 09-17-2018, 07:27 PM

I've usually gone with D'Addario PB mediums – and I still do for my Martin – but I've been using Ernie Ball aluminum bronze mediums on my X20… which I guess makes me the lone weirdo around here. It seems I must like them, since I've been using them for years, but I suppose I should try a few other things just to stretch my ears out a little. They have a pretty frequency response, and they last like coated strings. Which means they also have the same drawback that coated strings do: you'll need to bite the bullet and change them when they're still sounding good because tuning stability is always the first thing to go.

Old 12-29-2018, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
Yup, Elixir Nanoweb PBs are pretty much my go-to acoustic string anymore. They sounded great on my Martin - they sound great on my X20, they even sounded pretty acceptable on the cheap little Gretsch Jim Dandy I had...
Reviving an old thread. Has anyone else tried Martin Monels (retros) on an Emerald? They seem to have a reputation for sounding great on Mahogany guitars but terrible on rosewood. I had a few sets left over from my Martin 000-15M and have tried them on my Emeralds.

On my X20 I like 'em but they're about a wash with my go-to Elixir Nanoweb PBs - they're a little warmer and deeper but I don't have a clear preference. On my previous generation X7 I tried them and didn't like them much, greatly preferring the Nanoweb PBs.

BUT, I just tried a set on my new generation woody X7 and I'm flat out in LOVE! The Nanoweb PBs sounded great on this guitar, but to my ears, the Monels are in another league. It's like a new guitar, bigger and more woody sounding. Although the gauges are basically the same, the Monels play a little lighter, lower tension, than the Elixirs, so I may go up one level to a heavier gauge string. But these sound sooo good I'm pretty sure these are the strings I'm gonna use going forward on this guitar. Took me by surprise to be honest. I had an extra set that I didn't see myself using on anything else and decided to try them on the new X7 and anticipated switching to another set of Elixir PBs pretty quickly, but it's not gonna happen.

Just thought I'd report on that and see if anyone else has tried these on any other Emeralds. I was lukewarm on them but on this guitar, it's a blazing fire.

-Ray
Old 12-29-2018, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

The new Martin Authentic SP Lifespans 2.0 PB have been great on the X20. Liking them a lot more than the Elixirs. I haven't tried the Monels or regular SP's yet, but will. Good to hear they are working for you.
Old 12-29-2018, 02:31 PM

I realize not many folks will be interested but,
I found another set of acoustic guitar flat wound strings to try,
Dogal Nightclub V25.
They've been installed on my Emerald X20 for 6 days and so far I like them better than the Galli AJF1047 Flat wound 80/20 Bronze I've been using.
I'm only trying the Dogal because I found them on sale for less than $19.00 a set normally they're $27.00
When I use up the Dogal, I'll be using the Galli again at $16.50 a set.

As far as sound comparison between the Galli and the Dogal I can't honestly comment.
The Galli were installed almost a year ago and at the time I recall they sounded, bright and well balanced, better than the D'Addario Chrome Flat wounds I was using.
These recently installed Dogal sound extremely well to me, they are well balanced and bright.
I wish I had two like guitars so that I could compare Galli and Dogal side by side.

The flat wound string surface on the Dogal strings are smoother than the Galli.
In the Galli string set, the flat wound surface of the G string is noticeably less smooth than the D, A and E flat wound strings in the same set.
The Dogal are easier to play and string bends are easier too.
There is less overall tension with the Dogal.

Galli AJF1047 Flatwound 80/20 Bronze ...Hex Core
.010 - .014 - .023w - .030 - .039 - .047

Dogal Nightclub V25 Bronze Flatwound...Round Core
.011 - .014 - .016w - .022 - .030 - .042

2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars

Last edited by 121; 12-30-2018 at 04:15 AM. Reason: added string core type
Old 12-29-2018, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
The new Martin Authentic SP Lifespans 2.0 PB have been great on the X20. Liking them a lot more than the Elixirs. I haven't tried the Monels or regular SP's yet, but will. Good to hear they are working for you.
Thanks for the tip. Just ordered a set.
Taylor Custom Grand Concert Master Grade koa, Taylor K22ce 12-fret AA koa, Emerald X7 "Kauai" (custom painted artwork), Grimes Hapa nylon, Benedetto Andy, Kanile'a GL6 Guitalele, Moore Bettah and KoAloha custom ukuleles, Rob Allen Mouse koa bass
Old 12-29-2018, 05:14 PM

I think there is an inherent magic mixing Retros with CF, but that’s just me. have a set of lights on deck to try on my OF660 and they were my favorite all time strings in my previously owned RainSong (thanks to our very own “jdinco “ John’s review). Due to their price I think it is worth trying. You already know the other benefits Retros bring. Not surprised they pair well with the new X7.
Old 12-29-2018, 08:08 PM
Charter Member

I find your comments on strings interesting. Would you mind sharing your playing style? Are you mainly a fingerstylist?

As for me, (fingerstyle w/without thumbpick, and flatpick equally) I have generally used elixir nanowebs on the X20-12 for convenience and long life. Their tone is decent, but I prefer Curt Mangan’s 12 string PB 9-46 light coated set for tone.

On the X20 baritone, I also use a Curt Mangan set, PB, 16-70. Their 14-68 nickel set is also intriguing, but I haven’t tried them yet.

I have found not much to like about exp’s on any guitar, CF or wood. John Pearse PB’s and nickels are very good strings in my experience. Have not yet tried monel on CF.

Thanks for the discussion.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark L View Post

I find your comments on strings interesting. Would you mind sharing your playing style? Are you mainly a fingerstylist?
No fingerstyle.
I use a flat pick.
I like oldie stuff like Satin Doll, Girl From Ipanema, Summer Time, early Beatles and some blues.
My playing style is basically,
strum chords and pick out lead parts in between vocals parts.
One reason I favor flat wound strings is because of slide blend lead picking parts. I like to slide my fret hand fingers with pressure on the string from note to note, slide blend. Finger pressure on these string slides causes string squeak when using round wound, ground round or coated strings, with flat wound strings no string squeak.
Reducing finger pressure can mitigate or alleviate string squeak, but it greatly reduces the slide blend effect.
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars
Old 12-30-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121 View Post
No fingerstyle.
with flat wound strings no string squeak.
A friend of mine does this for the same reason on his jazz boxes.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 12-30-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
I LOVE the Lifespan strings! I will be trying the Retros in February as my tech is installing an Anthem SL. The Lifespan strings do take a while to break in, and they are painful when you first put them on. Let them settle and you will be very very pleased!

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 12-30-2018, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindness View Post
I LOVE the Lifespan strings! I will be trying the Retros in February as my tech is installing an Anthem SL. The Lifespan strings do take a while to break in, and they are painful when you first put them on. Let them settle and you will be very very pleased!
Yep, agreed, they were a bit bass heavy at first, but after 4 weeks, they sound great. Really glad to hear someone else likes them too. Good to know my ears aren't completely gone. LOL

Over the years I have tried Elixirs on several different Martins and was never able to get a decent sound from them, so Ray's comment about Martin and Elixirs surprises me, must have been different models of Martins then what I was trying. OM28, HD28, Jr., 000-15sm.
Old 12-30-2018, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Over the years I have tried Elixirs on several different Martins and was never able to get a decent sound from them, so Ray's comment about Martin and Elixirs surprises me, must have been different models of Martins then what I was trying. OM28, HD28, Jr., 000-15sm.
I don’t recall using Elixirs back in the day when I had a D-28 - May have tried them but I think I was mostly playing Martin strings on it. But I used them pretty happily on an 000-15M, which is a pretty close relative of the 000-15SM you were playing them on. I was ultimately happier with the Monels, as now seems to be the case with the new X7, but I certainly wasn’t unhappy with the Elixirs on that guitar... And I like em just fine on the X20 and really liked them on the older X7, maybe because they helped it project a little better to the player...

-Ray
Old 12-30-2018, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Can't rule out my ears Ray. LOL They like to play tricks on me at times. Thanks for the response. I find that generally Elixirs are like a Honda Accord, they don't do anything the best. but do everything pretty darn well.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
I just got a set of these (mediums) and will be putting them on my X7. I have been using DR Veritas mediums for the past three changes and thought those worked pretty well but was interested in trying something a bit different this time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber