The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 12-16-2009, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
And I understand that too, that some music with hand made instruments are what makes the music "authentic", no judgement from me on the music at all, just the instrument as an instrument. Give that old coot a '39 D-18 and angels will sing, my opinion.
To me, they are already singing with the old Harmony Sovereign. Just different perspectives, which is what makes the world great!
Old 12-16-2009, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten View Post
I understand the concept that music comes first from the expressive heart and creative mind of the musician. Without that, music is not possible. But except for necessity or novelty, no one would choose to play a poor quality instrument. Especially not a someone with a heart full of emotions to be expressed via a creative mind!

cotten
I think this sage. There is indeed a necessity for some to express on lesser quality instruments -- as it is all that is available. To me, those expressions are every bit as much "music." And, of course, the musicianship often speaks for itself. I think this is what the OP was getting at -- sharing that worthwhile expressions can be made without much thought to tonewoods, or bridge-pin material, or what's on the headstock. I think, in the holiday spirit, the originial post was meant to focus attention on the expression -- the art -- rather than the material. I certainly don't feel this is begrudging anyone's purchase of a 20K instrument! (I love to get lost in that music too!!)

Last edited by Brent Nelson; 12-16-2009 at 12:14 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:06 PM

Anyone know if that headboard has "opened up" yet?
Old 12-16-2009, 02:43 PM

[QUOTE=Stringfellow;2053924]Tis the season to be seriously affected by GAS. But while we're obsessing over tonewoods, bout sizes, body depths, neck widths, neck depths, purfling, binding, tuners, fretboards, fret sizes, scale lengths, nuts, saddles and neck joints... (along with all the other stuff) - it's worth reminding ourselves just what you need to make memorable music. Check out Jimmy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1BiPbxX1YU

.../QUOTE]

You got a Favorite, a 5 star, a comment, and a subscription out of that clip, sir. As I said in my YouTube comment, that clip makes me think about trying standard tuning again.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 12-16-2009, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

Hi sfellow…
That was fun to watch and listen to...love story tellers.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-18-2009, 05:23 AM

Thanks to mr51 for posting elsewhere on this forum some Seasick Steve who embodies the point of the original post:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=171530

QED? You make the music with what you got - not what the guitar got. Thanks for a good exchange.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:10 PM

i remember hearing a drummer who was born a natural, we had a small apartment and he made the lamp shade sound like the best drum set in the world, he played the counter top then he played the bathroom door, he had us literally struck.......he was amazing (and we were not drunk) he did it all the time every day everywhere. So no, he didn't need a top of the line drum set period. I also remember walking downtown Santa Cruz where the street players were playing for dollars, a guitar player was wailing on his old harmony with two missing strings, crowds of people were riveted. right down the way was a guy with a real good Martin, souded like a nice guitar but I was the only one standing there. Anyone who ascribes to you have to have the top of the line Martin, Gibson, handmade box just misses the root cause of sweet playing, my opinion. Yea this guy may have sounded better acoustically if he had a Bourgeois but that isn't the point at all.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringfellow View Post
Tis the season to be seriously affected by GAS. But while we're obsessing over tonewoods, bout sizes, body depths, neck widths, neck depths, purfling, binding, tuners, fretboards, fret sizes, scale lengths, nuts, saddles and neck joints... (along with all the other stuff) - it's worth reminding ourselves just what you need to make memorable music. Check out Jimmy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1BiPbxX1YU

Or for an even more dramatic non-guitar demonstration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWbj7FYEi3M

OK so he needs a Boss RC20, but still cool. Happy Holidays full of great music!
Thanks for posting. Loved the carrot.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell