The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-02-2021, 07:04 AM

Default bolt-on neck joint

[IMG]Collins guitar neck joint.jpg[/IMG]

Here is a picture of a Collings guitar neck joint. I built one like this and got it to work okay but I wonder if the V in this joint is necessary? I don't see why a rectangular tenon wouldn't work just as well and be easier to do. Anyone have any insight here? Thanks, Danny Gray
Old 10-02-2021, 07:31 PM

I can't see your pic but a lot of bolt on necks use rectangular tenons. Have a look at some of the templates sold at Stew Mac and LMII for ideas.
Old 10-03-2021, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan of SC View Post
[IMG]Collins guitar neck joint.jpg[/IMG]

Here is a picture of a Collings guitar neck joint. I built one like this and got it to work okay but I wonder if the V in this joint is necessary? I don't see why a rectangular tenon wouldn't work just as well and be easier to do. Anyone have any insight here? Thanks, Danny Gray

The Collings neck joint looks to me like it was designed with two goals in mind: paying homage to the old dovetail (shape, and hiding the bolts) and preventing Failure along the wood grain. The rectangular tenon with knockdown fasteners seem liable to break if overtightened unless reinforced with side laminations at 90 deg to the grain. Same with using bolts and threaded inserts. The Collings method seems a bit more resistant to pulling out. Plus the taper means they can make the bottom of the heel very small.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair