The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 08-06-2021, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

"Country Girl" is such an underrated song... so ambitious to write, and also ambitious to play, as well. Nice job, catdaddy!
Old 08-06-2021, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

I am blown away by the great tunes in this thread. Wow y'all!

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 08-06-2021, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
"Country Girl" is such an underrated song... so ambitious to write, and also ambitious to play, as well. Nice job, catdaddy!
Yeah. Interesting period of Neil Young's songwriting, along around the end of Buffalo Springfield and his First Solo LP and then this song. Lots of multipart suites and big arrangements. Apparently this soon stopped being something he was interested in. Of course he did well with his other modes, but when he writes a longer song since then it tends to be a lot of verses with maybe choruses and a bridge, not the "orchestral" sorts of things he did earlier on.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 08-10-2021, 06:00 PM

Found this one and can't believe I posted this on here 14 years ago. Laughable attempt but I had fun and that's all that matters.

https://app.box.com/shared/0uzd5oip0u
Old 08-10-2021, 08:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage97 View Post
Found this one and can't believe I posted this on here 14 years ago. Laughable attempt but I had fun and that's all that matters.

Really, really nice 😊
Old 08-11-2021, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

Just did a fingerstyle version of “Only Love Can Break Your Heart” on my Iris DF Smeck. I always really enjoy playing his songs.

Old 08-11-2021, 05:43 PM

Quote:

I think it sounds great! Thanks for sharing!
Old 08-11-2021, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystfingerstyle View Post
Just did a fingerstyle version of “Only Love Can Break Your Heart” on my Iris DF Smeck. I always really enjoy playing his songs.
There's enough talent in this forum to have an acoustic Woodstock!
Old 08-12-2021, 12:21 AM
Charter Member

Or at least Farm Aid.

(since Neil was the co-founder)
Old 08-12-2021, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

I'd give a lot to be able to sing in as relaxed and tuneful a manner as you do. That was really sweet, whether 14 years ago or yesterday...

Another reminder that one of the things I love about these threads is hearing songs I'd all but forgotten about, like this one. I just pulled up the lyrics and chords and played through it a couple of times. Lovely song...

-Ray
Old 08-12-2021, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystfingerstyle View Post

Really sweet!
Old 08-16-2021, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Really, really nice 😊
Quote:
Originally Posted by Song View Post
I think it sounds great! Thanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I'd give a lot to be able to sing in as relaxed and tuneful a manner as you do. That was really sweet, whether 14 years ago or yesterday...

Another reminder that one of the things I love about these threads is hearing songs I'd all but forgotten about, like this one. I just pulled up the lyrics and chords and played through it a couple of times. Lovely song...

-Ray
Really appreciate all your kind words. Thanks guys.
Old 10-02-2021, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

I've been playing this one some lately. I'm slightly fascinated by this song - it was written and originally recorded by Don Gibson, the country artist, as a real upbeat, sort of party song. Johnny Rivers covered it and did it similarly, but with more of an early rock 'n roll feel. Then Neil came along and slowed it WAAAAAY down and made it into a real bummer of a song. I'd only heard Neil's version until fairly recently, and it's how the song made sense to me and seemed like the right feel for the lyrics. Now that I've heard the originals, I have trouble making the lighter mood fit the lyrics. But anyway, I figured I'd try Neil's version. Not much to it, but I kind of enjoy playing and singing it, as far as it is from any experience I've had in over 40 years, if ever. He sings it a LOT prettier than I'd ever be able to - real shocker there!

-Ray
Old 10-04-2021, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Ray, thanks for sharing. I think we've lived parallel lives. I was also familiar with Neil's version only until recently, when I heard an EGF forum member and friend (noisefloor; I'm not sure if he's on AGF) post a video on YouTube with the faster version.
Old 10-08-2021, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

Another funky Neil tune, this one from On The Beach. I just started playing around with this in the past couple days. Just a basic blues (not I-IV-V though), not much to it. But my malodorous vocals don't do so much damage here...

-Ray

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell