The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-28-2019, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

Default K&K volume control

has anyone added the volume control to their k&k mini and how good does it work? is it easy to install? i've found i prefer contols on the guitar. i really like the baggs anthem which i have in another guitar and was considering removing the k&k from my martin d-18, but don't know if i want to go to all the trouble and is it even feasible/

what can be done with the k&k to resolve my issue? also found this.(K&K Sound Pre-Phase Preamp w/Phase and Volume for Pure Pickups)
has anyone tried it?

Last edited by bobbyg67; 09-28-2019 at 05:24 PM.
Old 09-28-2019, 08:10 PM

A Schatten BB-03 end pin volume control might be a good option.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 09-28-2019, 08:18 PM
Charter Member

I have one guitar that has a passive K&K with volume control
When sent directly to the board the volume control is not linear
There is a jump in volume once I get past the half way mark

If I run the K&K though a preamp the volume control is smooth with out any jumps in volume.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 09-28-2019, 11:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyg67 View Post
has anyone added the volume control to their k&k mini and how good does it work? is it easy to install? i've found i prefer contols on the guitar. i really like the baggs anthem which i have in another guitar and was considering removing the k&k from my martin d-18, but don't know if i want to go to all the trouble and is it even feasible/

what can be done with the k&k to resolve my issue? also found this.(K&K Sound Pre-Phase Preamp w/Phase and Volume for Pure Pickups)
has anyone tried it?
Hi bg67

K&K sells the UltraPure Preamp - CliCk which is a sound hole preamp and control system.

It's $150, and if you don't want to solder, they can solder up a jack for it before they send it to you to aid in installation (it says that in the description).

If you call them, I'm sure they will fill in the details.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-29-2019, 05:27 AM
Charter Member

well now that looks pretty slick. could be what i'm looking for Larry. would want to put it in a martin d-18 and maybe my om28 also. both have k&k mini pickups. should be a fairly simple install?
Old 09-29-2019, 07:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi bg67

K&K sells the UltraPure Preamp - CliCk which is a sound hole preamp and control system.

It's $150, and if you don't want to solder, they can solder up a jack for it before they send it to you to aid in installation (it says that in the description).

If you call them, I'm sure they will fill in the details.

I spoke with the folks at K&K about a 2 years ago in regards to a dual source version for the mini and mic. The said they are working on it.....still waiting but I’m patient
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 09-29-2019, 08:08 AM

I hear you loud and clear... I've been battling with myself as to which pickup I want to put in my '72 D35 and have been paralyzed in my lack of decision. I think K&K is the winner as far as the pickup goes, and like you I like having a volume control on the guitar. The K&K volume control (at least when purchased with the pickup is $35 and I keep wondering if it's worth it considering I have other external volume options.

But in the meantime, as a relative cheapskate, I came up with my own solution to the onboard volume control as I have two guitar pickups that go straight out to amp or preamp. What I did was take an Altoids box, a mini-pot that I had from a previous rewire, and a resistor and a couple jacks and built my own small volume box. An old belt clip case from an ancient Blackberry allows me to mount it on my strap or music stand right in front of me. I think it cost me $3.29 ($1 for the resistor and $2.29for the Altoids)...Or you can have a footpedal, or an a small preamp that can attach to your guitar strap... However having the ability to control volume externally but handily makes me wonder if I should get the K&K with volume, or for $79 get the cheaper JJB version?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg altoids_potentiometer_sm.jpg (35.8 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2213.jpg (34.1 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg mini_volume.jpg (22.3 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg AltoidsVolume_open.jpg (37.6 KB, 192 views)
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS

Last edited by vindibona1; 09-29-2019 at 10:08 AM.
Old 10-01-2019, 03:56 PM

I installed it, but was not happy with the lack of precision and occasional static noise. I took it out and went back to controlling volume with the XLR preamp.

'94 Strat
'05 Taylor 810
'05 Gibson J45
'07 Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500M
Old 10-01-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
A Schatten BB-03 end pin volume control might be a good option.
Maybe a picture of the BB-03 would be helpful as I've made a few knock-offs with lower impedance for active guitars.

Jon Fields
Old 10-02-2019, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyg67 View Post
has anyone tried it?
I have installed 5-6 of these in various guitars as add ons to a passive mini and initial installs. The volume control was smooth and consistent. The phase switch was very helpful. The pre-amp added not just a volume bump, but a more full, rounded and balanced sound vs the passive only.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:44 PM

@Jon:

What size/type of potentiometer would you consider appropriate for this job? I've done some experimentation in the past but it's been a while.

Slight OT - I've been considering connecting an existing UST to my K&K pickup for exploratory purposes. I'm thinking a similar value of pot would make an appropriate mixer.

Any thoughts?
Old 10-07-2019, 12:56 PM

The Schatten BB-03 has a 500K log taper analog POT. The ones I've made used a 1M linear POT for my passive guitars and a 25K linear POT for my active guitars. I don't hear any advantage between 500K and 1M with a K&K Mini or Schatten HFN. I find no advantage in an active volume control if the input impedance being driven is high (1M ohm or higher).

I prefer linear because I primarily use them when I am going straight into the amp and want to be able to conveniently adjust between solo volume and normal. For a linear POT, half the remaining travel counterclockwise from where ever you have set it is -6 dB. More of the POT travel range is dedicated to fine tuning around full volume.

All that said the more compact BB-03 is the one sitting in my guitar case.

If it helps, I take a standard male 1/4" plug and cut a hole in the case just large enough to seat it. I then seal it in place with thin cyanoacrylate glue. Seems to be bulletproof. I am using a Hammond ~2x2x1" aluminum box.

Regarding the mixer question... Maybe the simple answer is two 500K POTs with the wipers joined by a pair of 220K series resistors and the output tapped between those two resistors. This would keep the worst case loads on the pickup elements relatively high. This would not be a great solution for driving a long cable and you would want a relatively high impedance on the receiving side (a case where one of the 10M input impedance preamps would be nice).

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 10-07-2019 at 01:10 PM.
Old 10-08-2019, 12:29 PM

V informative, cheers for that.
Old 10-08-2019, 12:39 PM

I added the passive volume control to a Pure Mini I had in an Alvarez-Yairi dread that I no longer own. It was very easy to add on. Probably a 10-20 minute job. It's basically a different endpin that you install and plug in the existing Pure Mini into. Mine worked great with smooth volume control.
Fender MIM Tele
Old 10-08-2019, 01:52 PM

Rapco make an instrument cable with a volume control built into the guitar end, very slick.

https://www.rapcohorizon.com/category/109/vcable

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification