The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-26-2018, 12:40 PM

Default Sm58 vs Lineaudio CM3 for studio vocals recording ?

I’m at a friend’s place in New Orleans for two weeks and we’d like to record an album together, but we only have a Lineaudio CM3 (which I use for the guitar) and a Shure SM58 , which one do you think would work best for recording vocals ? I know vocals are generally recorded with static mic in studio , but I’ve never heard anyone use the CM3 for vocal purpose... So which one would you choose ?
Jackson US Soloist

Youtube - Reverbnation - Twitter - Facebook

Old 04-26-2018, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

The CM3 has a very flat frequency response. This may or may not be best for voices you are recording. Just have to try both mics.

Also, the mics will probably perform quite differently relative to their proximity effect; the ideal micing distance will most likely be different for each mic.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 04-26-2018, 05:03 PM
Guitar Gourmet

There are ways to use a small diaphragm condenser that will eliminate both proximity effect and popping. I once got stuck without my usual choice of large diaphragm vocal mics such as the U47 but with the responsibility to record the entire "look" for an international cable television network for two weeks, with a trio of pro VO artists. The "look" is the collection of voiceovers that go between shows, ie. "Coming up next..." That is about 300 VOs per week. I used an AKG C451E pencil cardioid. I used the horrible foam windscreen that, yes, attenuated high end and I replaced the lost high-end with an EQ. It was a very nice, original 1073 Neve sitting in the Neve 8024 console it was part of, but I used an EQ to overcome a less-than-perfect situation. I placed the mic at about eye level, above the cone of blast coming out of the mouth and pointing down, on-axis, at the mouth, as the person read off a music stand. It turned out fine and only my department manager knew that anything had changed.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 04-26-2018, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan Madsen View Post
I’m at a friend’s place in New Orleans for two weeks and we’d like to record an album together...
No reason not to try them both and use the one you like better.

Couch Standards
Old 04-27-2018, 11:23 AM

Yep, record the vocals with both and save the takes. You never know when you might change your mind on which take works best, or you may even find a use for both.
Old 04-28-2018, 01:12 AM

Yes you’re right we’re going to give those a second comparaison, the first one was a bit distorted as we didn’t compensate the distance enough so there was an important volume difference which usually leads us to prefer the loudest one
Jackson US Soloist

Youtube - Reverbnation - Twitter - Facebook

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD