The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-15-2018, 03:41 PM

Default Blackbird: El Capitan vs Super OM

I use my guitar multiple times a week for work, and that has meant that even though I have nicer steel strings, my super om is the guitar that I play 90% of the time.

However, I'm really tempted by the new El Capitan. Has anyone played this and the super om and can let me know about your thoughts? Would be really appreciated!
Old 05-15-2018, 06:15 PM
Guest 928

Bongo;

I haven't played the El C, but I sure wouldn't let go of the Super OM. I had one in nylon; yum yum. It looks a bit like a craveola, is a taste of the past, but is also a look at the future. I think you have a collector's item. Good on you!
Old 05-16-2018, 05:50 AM

Hi Bongo,

I have played both over the years but far apart. I just received my El Captain yesterday and from what I can remember of the super OM is that the Super OM was louder. I find my El Captain sound wise a little mellower and sweeter if that makes sense. I would keep both if you can as Evan says. You have two excellent ends of the spectrum of composite guitars. One for Mr Spock and one for any folk hero would be proud to play.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixedgear60 View Post
One for Mr Spock and one for any folk hero would be proud to play.

Ha... perfect!
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 05-22-2018, 07:42 AM

Thanks everyone!

You have successfully (and by successfully, I mean ever so slightly reduced &#128521 my gas here.

I do love my super om.... It does everything, and does it well... And I like the Spock idea 😁.

That being said, if anyone else has comparison thoughts, please chime in!
Old 05-23-2018, 08:46 AM

I see there is currently an El Capitan in the classified section.

Just sayin'!
Old 05-23-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsman View Post
I see there is currently an El Capitan in the classified section.

Just sayin'!
Good deal... I do not know if everyone knows that production of the El Captain is very low. They only make about 10 a year and there is a waiting list. I just got mine from Ted who had one already on order and the order sent in Nov 2017.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:01 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Ha... perfect!
Yup... the Super OM is very purpose built and logical... but for me lacks a certain warmth that the Captain provides. BOTH would be the perfect pair...
Old 05-23-2018, 12:14 PM

My recollection of playing the Super OM is that it was very similar to my Rainsong WS-1000 -- loud and bold. El Capitan reminded me very strongly of my Taylor GA's, in various woods.

Remember that all of the CF Blackbird guitars are now out of production, in favor of ekoa models. El Capitan is very tempting, but I opted for a Lucky 13 when placing my order in 2016. I might be reconsidering that decision.....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber