The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-07-2017, 08:44 AM

[QUOTE=TomB'sox;5529437]Well, the "new" is a little hard to put a handle on. I think, and Patrick can correct me if I am wrong...number 1 was 15 years ago, took a while to build and then there were classes etc., tooling up the shop, building a bit more, so that 4 years ago, full time. This guitar is number 17 and I believe he is over 20. I consider that new on the "luthier" scale and new to us on the AGF as oppose to other guys I know well who have built over 100.

Ah, o.k.....that sheds some light on things ( and why the name was new to me). Yeah, 100 builds seems to be a nice milestone for the folks who have been with it for a while and have worked out the way in which their craft and sound will unfold. All that said, I think you brought home an awesome guitar!

Regarding the tune, it's on the Tom Doerr Legacy that he built for me in '13- '14. This was Tom's #103 so it relates to the 100 mark mentioned above. Still, as with every build ( I suspect), Tom had some "tricks up his sleeve" he was going to bring to this build, as I assume he does with current offerings. He was very excited about working with the LS Redwood again and paring it with Cocobolo.

Congrats again, Tom!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 11-07-2017, 08:52 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Well, the "new" is a little hard to put a handle on. I think, and Patrick can correct me if I am wrong...number 1 was 15 years ago, took a while to build and then there were classes etc., tooling up the shop, building a bit more, so that 4 years ago, full time. This guitar is number 17 and I believe he is over 20. I consider that new on the "luthier" scale and new to us on the AGF as oppose to other guys I know well who have built over 100.

Yes, indeed, and I do try to withhold that for when it is really true so that my opinion holds some weight. You and I both have guitars from someone that is at the top of the game so I feel like I have something very high to compare it to.

Thanks Tom for all your help getting aquatinted with AGF, - the short of it is 15 years ago I studied at the Boston Luthier's workshop under Master luthier Thomas Knatt to complete guitar one and two (I believe he and Alan Caruth were partners back in the seventies) I Continued building part time until I took the leap to do it full time four years ago. Took two years to redesign my body styles, equip the shop, develop the process, and now here I am. Tom has #17 and there is the Grand Concert Claro walnut burst (pictures to come) that was at the Woodstock show, which is #18. (That wasn't very short was it)
Old 11-07-2017, 03:08 PM
Music soothes the soul!

Welcome, Mr Morrissey, to the AGF. And congrats to both you and Tom on a stunning instrument. Love the tone as well. Guessing I’ll have to plan another trip to NY to get a chance to play it.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:08 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Welcome, Mr Morrissey, to the AGF. And congrats to both you and Tom on a stunning instrument. Love the tone as well. Guessing I’ll have to plan another trip to NY to get a chance to play it.
Thanks for the Welcome - Glad I finally joined the AGF
Old 11-07-2017, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

Tom, that guitar is just beautiful. You have great taste in guitars. Good luck with it.

And you sound clip sounds just wonderful!
Old 11-07-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Tom, that guitar is just beautiful. You have great taste in guitars. Good luck with it.

And you sound clip sounds just wonderful!
Thanks so much...I do love guitars especially the pretty ones that sound good hahaha!!!! That sound clip was just a quick thing, one take, if people want more I could do it, but I thought it was enough to give the idea...I am no Mau that is for darned sure!!!
Old 11-07-2017, 06:46 PM

[QUOTE=islandguitar;5529518]
Quote:
Well, the "new" is a little hard to put a handle on. I think, and Patrick can correct me if I am wrong...number 1 was 15 years ago, took a while to build and then there were classes etc., tooling up the shop, building a bit more, so that 4 years ago, full time. This guitar is number 17 and I believe he is over 20. I consider that new on the "luthier" scale and new to us on the AGF as oppose to other guys I know well who have built over 100.

Ah, o.k.....that sheds some light on things ( and why the name was new to me). Yeah, 100 builds seems to be a nice milestone for the folks who have been with it for a while and have worked out the way in which their craft and sound will unfold. All that said, I think you brought home an awesome guitar!

Regarding the tune, it's on the Tom Doerr Legacy that he built for me in '13- '14. This was Tom's #103 so it relates to the 100 mark mentioned above. Still, as with every build ( I suspect), Tom had some "tricks up his sleeve" he was going to bring to this build, as I assume he does with current offerings. He was very excited about working with the LS Redwood again and paring it with Cocobolo.

Congrats again, Tom!
Thanks for the info. Tom is one of the best for sure, heck so many good builders, I wish I could have a couple of each!

I am just starting to explore DADGAD, it is so different after 40 years of standard tuning. Again, I really liked your original, especially where is kind of goes into that bass progression following the higher melody. Very pretty.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:49 PM
Charter Member

Wow... just gorgeous in looks and sound! When you go out of town, I wanna come house-sit for you. Just leave the guitars...
Old 11-07-2017, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

Beautiful instrument. It looks like he is within an hour of my house. I’ve never heard of him until now. I’ll have to schedule a field trip
Old 11-07-2017, 07:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I tried to post a video clip so you could all see the guitar, but I think the file size was too large. So here is some noodling. This was just done on my Samsung cell phone. If you use headphones it sounds pretty good. Even though the recording doesn't sound too bad, it is nothing compared to the real sound of this guitar. Thanks.

That sounds better than it should through a cell phone. Congrats.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Wow... just gorgeous in looks and sound! When you go out of town, I wanna come house-sit for you. Just leave the guitars...
Thanks K, you have a deal, but you will have to babysit the dog as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
Beautiful instrument. It looks like he is within an hour of my house. I’ve never heard of him until now. I’ll have to schedule a field trip
Thanks Paul, give him a call, I am sure he would be glad to have you! Taking home a guitar or scheduling a build would be even better I am sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
That sounds better than it should through a cell phone. Congrats.
Thanks, it gives an idea and yes, it sounds even better in person for sure!
Love your new recording, you did a real nice job on that song, it is not all that easy to play!
Old 11-08-2017, 07:13 PM

For all of you guitar nuts, thought I would post a few more professional glamour shots!!! Please enjoy the eye candy, wish you could all enjoy the ear candy with me!!!

M1.jpg

M2.jpg

M3.jpg

And then a couple more...

M4.jpg

M5.jpg
Old 11-08-2017, 09:08 PM
Charter Member

Tom, that really sounds spectacular, full and rich! Congratulations on finding another winner. And it's nice that you brought a new builder to the fold. Looking forward to additional builds!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 11-09-2017, 09:40 AM

I got the opportunity to meet Patrick in Woodstock and see his beautiful guitars. His work is top-notch.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:57 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Ensor View Post
I got the opportunity to meet Patrick in Woodstock and see his beautiful guitars. His work is top-notch.
Thanks Chris - the Woodstock show was a great experience

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop