The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-13-2020, 07:33 PM

Alright, I yanked it!

Thanks everyone for the comments. I learned a lot through this process and the information/opinions given in this thread. I've at least been able to calibrate my expectations for what's possible with a pickup, and better define my own preferences. In this scenario I chose to remove the iBeam.

Looks pretty old. There no volume knob on this model, which differs fromthe current offering from LR Baggs. The battery expired in 2012, if that gives any indication. Popping the pickup off the bridgeplate was harrowing task. It came off fine at the end, just had 10-15 minutes of wondering what it'll be like to have destroyed the top on a 1960 Martin.

StewMac NoJak endpin worked out well:

I was happy to remove all the "gunk" adhesive from the bridgeplate, but some was left over on the sides from holding the battery. I can always go back and spend more time removing it. I noticed the sides felt very thin and didn't want to put too much strength into picking away at it. Does anybody recognize those vertical fabric-like straps on the side wood? Was this standard Martin construction?
Old 07-13-2020, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
hi,

"That is a very fine guitar - probably the finest I've seen in here, but no matter how good the best pick-up we fit into it - it'll never sound like that guitar sounds unplugged! - If I were you, I'd forget the pick up and buy something like a Takamine for plugging in".

At the time I thought he was just tying to sell me another guitar, but now I agree with him.
The J45 that I gig with is now starting to turn into a great guitar, and because of that, I may retire it from the gigging, and do something like your guitar dealer recommended. Not a Takamine, but something similar with a vintage look, and a comfortable neck, like a Blueridge or something like that.

Like this... https://www.sagamusic.com/products/p...spx?item=BG-40
Old 07-14-2020, 02:43 PM

Before you pull one pickup and replace it with another, you might consider the ToneDexter, which, when properly trained, will make your plugged-in sound a lot like your mic'd acoustic sound.

https://audiosprockets.com/

The $400 price was a big chunk of change for me, but well worth it for the results.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 07-14-2020, 04:39 PM

The iBeam has a reputation for being feedback prone in a live setting.

At lower volumes its a good sounding pickup. I suspect that you could easily get the iBeam recording to sound much closer to the mic recording with some EQ help. When you get in a live setting, however, you may have difficulty getting as much gain as you want without the sound getting overly boomy and feedback prone. It all depends on how loud you need to be.

In my own case, I've found my iBeam equipped guitar has worked fine for hard picking or strumming in a noisy setting. It becomes problematic, however, when I'm in a noisy setting and trying to get enough gain for bare-fingered picking. I find myself rolling off the entire low end to get a sound that's loud and trebly enough to cut through. Its not the prettiest sound, but at least people can hear it.

I'm thinking that the eventually-to-be-released Baggs Soundscape, with its special anti-feedback circuitry, may end up being a huge boon to iBeam users.
Old 07-15-2020, 03:47 AM
Charter Member

In my experience (which consists of my little world) When looking for an acoustic pickup. Though some are better than others. There is a trade off of tone. If you are recording. A good mic will always sound better.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification