The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-01-2020, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop47 View Post
Fishman Aura Spectrum D1. If I'm doing a sideman thing with another guitar player, I'll add a delay for color.
This!
I have my old ES335 and all the pedals and effects I’ll ever want, but I get all I need from the Spectrum DI When playing acoustically

Blues
Old 07-02-2020, 02:03 AM

Only if playing whilst riding a bicycle.
Old 07-02-2020, 03:16 AM
Charter Member

I have a Zoom multi-effects pedal that I use for reverb and chorus. It also incorporates a tuner and a volume pedal I find useful as a mute and a looper I only use for sound check. One little box does all I need, is small, light and inexpensive.
Old 07-02-2020, 04:51 AM

6 band MXR eq
Keeley compressor+
Small amount of reverb on amp
Looper for practice
Digitech trio+ (produces a massive variety of drums and bass accompanyment, once it has learned a chord sequence that you play into it). I often add acoustic and electric guitar layers which it also stores for playback.
For 12 string a leslie simulator to make the sound more rich
Old 07-02-2020, 04:58 AM

I use a Fire Eye Red Eye, TC Hall of Fame, TC Alter Ego 2 delay, MXR Analog Chorus and Korg Pitchblack tuner. Recently I thought about either replacing the HOF with a HOF 2 to get the shimmer effect, or replacing both the HOF and AE with a Keeley Caverns V2. But there’s only so many times that you can use shimmer before it reaches a “cheese” level.
Old 07-02-2020, 05:33 AM

When I play acoustic, it’s acoustic so no pedals. To me, if there’s a pickup in a guitar it’s not an acoustic anymore. Maybe an acoustic/electric or electric/acoustic, but not “acoustics”.

When it comes to my Stratocaster or Probett Rocket III, then we can talk pedals.

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 07-02-2020, 06:51 AM

No pedals for acoustic guitar or voice.
All that people hear is little ol me.

Instead of pedals I just work on improving my voice and guitar playing.

Last edited by Tico; 07-02-2020 at 07:54 AM.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:18 AM

LR Baggs Venue. Love that thing!
Old 07-02-2020, 07:35 AM

I play every week at my church and always have some delay, chorus, reverb, and tremolo. Reverb comes from my amp and the rest is room ambience; And I use a either a fishman platinum pro eq or ToneDeq.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

Peterson Strobe-O-Stomp
Morley Lil Alligator Volume
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
Radial JDI
Into mixer. Touch of reverb from mixer.
Old 07-02-2020, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

Not really. I used to use several but I found with most of the effects that all I really needed was a little reverb and delay and maybe once is a great while some chorus. When I started I had way too many and found the hassle of all those wires a PITA. As I progressed my gear dwindled down to the a bare bones setup that I run only on battery these days. That's the Bose S1 Pro which has a ToneMatch switch for some tone shaping and some reverb. I also us an EAE StompMix X6 digital mixer, mostly for the extra inputs since the Bose only has 2 and we need at least 3 (one guitar, two mics). The X6 is a floor mixer with footswitches so I guess you could call that a 'pedal' but not really. Though it does have reverb, compression, delay and chorus. We used to use a harmonizer pedal but it's quality was hit or miss so I just learned to harmonize myself, finally. The only other thing I wish I could learn to use is a looper but after a few attempts I have yet to be good enough at it to make it work. Maybe someday.
Old 07-02-2020, 08:26 AM

I never play, at home or outside, without pedals, or at least reverb/delay built into the amp. I loop a loop with a bit of reverb, then put on the delay for the overdubs. I keep a chorus pedal in the chain too for the odd song that sounds better with chorus. The Boss Waza delay is my go to after trying out several delay pedals. A tremelo pedal is a nice to have at times too. When playing outside I turn the intensity up, as effects can get lost in the open air.Note that I only play instrumentals, no vocals, many genres.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perchman View Post
.......Recently I thought about either replacing the HOF with a HOF 2 to get the shimmer effect, or replacing both the HOF and AE with a Keeley Caverns V2. But there’s only so many times that you can use shimmer before it reaches a “cheese” level.
I like effects, but I find that anything more than just a little really overshadows the song itself. I typically use just a little bit of reverb and chorus as my standard amplified “acoustic” sound.

I too got intrigued by the “shimmer” reverb effect, and I even got a pedal or two which specialized in delivering the shimmer-type reverb. While I have heard some interesting things on YouTube from the “ambient guitar” aficionados, I find that the effect works a lot better with electric instruments. For myself, it was an interesting effect, but I never was able to really incorporate into the music.
Old 07-04-2020, 08:43 AM

When I'm home, I don't plug in at all, well unless I'm using my home amplifier to try out an idea or two.

But when I play at my church, which I really want to begin doing soon, I have a small pedalboard with a Boss TU3 tuner into a Boss AD10 into a LR Baggs Align Reverb pedal.

I am the only instrument playing at our Mass on Sunday and we have a Berhinger (sp?) PA system and I find my Gibson J15 sounds much more like an acoustic guitar through the PA when I go through my board's pedals.

I know there are purists here that will treat these things as an abomination but I would disagree. Kind of like how we all buy different guitars for their unique sounds.

Best,
PJ
Old 07-04-2020, 11:21 AM

In solo acoustic contexts and in a band that plays Eastern European folk music, I add a little analog delay to the pickup sound (Baggs M1 in a Taylor 410) for some songs/parts, along with some reverb from the mixer. The pedal is a TC Electronics Flashback.

In the context of another band--this one plays a stylistically diverse sort of instrumental music with a middle eastern and psychedelic bent--I add a whole bunch of effects: MXR Studio Compressor, TC Electronics Quintessence Harmonizer, EHX Mel 9, EHX Ravish Sitar, Fulltone SupaTrem Jr., MXR Carbon Copy Delay, Source Audio Nemesis Delay, EHX Freeze, plus a couple of different phasers, Slow Gear, chorus, and octave effects from a Katana 100 MK2. The guitar in this situation is a Gitane DG-300 with a BigTone pickup in the floating bridge.

Louis

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification