The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-11-2020, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Astonishing to me that any musician serious enough to want to improve their sound would not own at least a a 57 or 58, but it does not appear to be the case, even here on AGF.
To be honest, Doug part of what's kept me from the Tonedexter is a lack of a higher quality mic and not wanting the expense of getting a new mic just for this purpose. The following is a quote from your June 2018 review of the Tonedexter in Acoustic Guitar magazine

"Tube and dynamic mics, on the other hand, are not recommended."

I have plenty of dynamic mics, include a 57 but am now confused
Old 07-11-2020, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
To be honest, Doug part of what's kept me from the Tonedexter is a lack of a higher quality mic and not wanting the expense of getting a new mic just for this purpose. The following is a quote from your June 2018 review of the Tonedexter in Acoustic Guitar magazine

I have plenty of dynamic mics, include a 57 but am now confused
Yeah, that's the official line from the ToneDexter folks, so indeed it's "not recommended", which is all I was reporting. But in practice, lots of us have discovered over time that we can use 57s just fine, and some, most famously, Molly Tuttle, actually prefer them.

I've tried lots of mics, even ribbon mics with ToneDexter. Overall, I prefer condensers, but we're talking about splitting hairs. If you'd rate the sound of your pickup a 1, and your guitar a 10, maybe a condenser with ToneDexter will get you to 9, while a dynamic will get you to 8. That's not bad... And that's just my take - Molly's for example, is that the dynamic would actually be better, so she'd probably flip the rating the other way. The basic thing is, even a $10 Radio Shack mic sounds better than any pickup, so anything you have will "work" to improve your sound. (That includes the mic in a phone, too!)

Last edited by Doug Young; 07-11-2020 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-11-2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I'd also not be surprised if someone in Bagg's marketing is debating whether it makes sense to release a product aimed at live performance in the current environment.
Their whole product line is aimed at live performance. Right now it'll be hard for a marketing department to persuade anyone that they need any of it.

Couch Standards
Old 07-11-2020, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The following is a quote from your June 2018 review of the Tonedexter in Acoustic Guitar magazine

BTW, I didn’t write that review - I was puzzling over why I would have said that that way. Then I remembered. They just reused the you tube video I had done on my own previously. But it wasn’t my review. I think Adam Perlmutter wrote that.
Old 07-11-2020, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

Doug,
Thanks for the response and sorry to have asked you to take responsibility for what Adam said! I've got plenty of dynamic mics and even an MXR cheapie condenser so will consider whether getting my sound to even an '8' on that scale is worth it! At present playing out is sparse to nonexistent so it's a moot point for now. Thanks again.
Old 07-11-2020, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Doug,
Thanks for the response and sorry to have asked you to take responsibility for what Adam said! I've got plenty of dynamic mics and even an MXR cheapie condenser so will consider whether getting my sound to even an '8' on that scale is worth it! At present playing out is sparse to nonexistent so it's a moot point for now. Thanks again.
No problem, it is true that a condenser is what's "recommended" by Audio Sprockets. I think maybe there's a list of some suggested mics on the audio sprocket's site. But I wouldn't let that stop you.

But it is pretty handy to have a condenser mic, or preferably a pair, if you do any recording.
Old 07-11-2020, 04:10 PM

This was an....interesting debate.

Once the pedal actually comes out I guess we will see if all of the integral calculus philosophical arguments above are valid or not.

I'm interested in this (and the NU-X Optima Air.)
  • -Soundscape has a DI with multiple outs that has an app for Voiceprint parametric EQ which automatically seeks and busts feedback via notch filter.
  • -It can save 100 presets for venue to venue quick setup.
  • -It's about the same footprint size as my current Radial AC Driver preamp so it might be a 1:1 swap on the pedalboard.
I guess we will have to wait and see how effective the mobile phone capture capability is. I'm guessing it will just fine for live use in the bars and restaurants that I play in. Whether it sounds any better will be a purely subjective individual determination based on expectations and personal tone quest desires....
06 Taylor Koa T5
09 Takamine 12 string
11 Taylor NS24ce-LTD
13 Gibson Les Paul Standard
14 Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
16 Taylor 524ce Mahogany
16 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
17 PRS SE Custom 24
23 Taylor GS Mini Walnut LTD

---------------------
Old 07-11-2020, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akousticplyr View Post
I guess we will have to wait and see how effective the mobile phone capture capability is.
For what it's worth, I heard the results of using the phone mic when I got a demo last fall. The whole unit was still a prototype, but the phone was being used for capture. It sounded good.
Old 07-12-2020, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Their whole product line is aimed at live performance. Right now it'll be hard for a marketing department to persuade anyone that they need any of it.
Any guitar electronics company that based their business model on only people who actually perform would be shortly out of business.

People who imagine they might perform someday are still in good supply :~).
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 07-12-2020, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
People who imagine they might perform someday are still in good supply :~).
The thousands of Marshall stacks that have never left the basement certainly support that argument. :-)

Couch Standards
Old 07-12-2020, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
The thousands of Marshall stacks that have never left the basement certainly support that argument. :-)
If this forum is any indication, some folks just enjoy using sound amplification at home.
Old 07-12-2020, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

Apologies if this has been covered, but do we have any idea when the Soundscape may hit the market?
Old 07-13-2020, 09:51 PM
Charter Member

I disagree. I would use an IR pedal like this for live streaming if it gave me the tone that I wanted.
Old 07-14-2020, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Apologies if this has been covered, but do we have any idea when the Soundscape may hit the market?
Sweetwater’s link says “Reserve your pre-order now, risk-free, or contact us for more information. We expect these to arrive in a few months.”
06 Taylor Koa T5
09 Takamine 12 string
11 Taylor NS24ce-LTD
13 Gibson Les Paul Standard
14 Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
16 Taylor 524ce Mahogany
16 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
17 PRS SE Custom 24
23 Taylor GS Mini Walnut LTD

---------------------
Old 07-15-2020, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akousticplyr View Post
Sweetwater’s link says “Reserve your pre-order now, risk-free, or contact us for more information. We expect these to arrive in a few months.”
thanks, I saw that as well. If it's any help, I think it's said 'a few months' for a few months! I suspect the earlier post about marketing holding off on the release until more live music is happening may be the case. That or they can't get all the parts from overseas.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification