The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-15-2020, 05:33 PM
Charter Member

Default Fun, fun, fun!!

I rarely plug in, mostly because I only own an electric guitar amp (Genz Benz Black Pearl) and a bass amp. Well, today I plugged in my Seagull S6 just for giggles, turned down the gain, turned up the reverb, and - oh my!! - had a blast with the tone I was getting!!

Yes, I need to buy a true acoustic amp. Until that happens, though, I'll plug in occasionally just to juice things up a bit!
2010 Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster
1974 Rickenbacker 4001 Bass
Old 07-15-2020, 05:45 PM

Yea, it is fun sometimes. I have a Bose S1 Pro that I use for that every now and then. Whatever you end up with, consider something battery powered. Sometimes it's even more fun on the back porch or at a campfire!
Old 07-15-2020, 05:50 PM

That's very cool.

I never really thought about what I might be missing, without a dedicated acoustic amp. I have several solid state electric guitar amps.. and now you've got me wondering, what am I missing?

I have an Orange Crush 20RT, a Boss Katana 50 (with acoustic setting), a Yamaha TRX 10c (also with an acoustic setting), a Bugera BC-15, and a Yorkville XM50 Bass Master.. that I'll play electrics or an acoustic through.

What might an electric amp owner be missing, without a dedicated acoustic amp?

Maybe it's time to shed one or two of my electric amps in favor of a dedicated acoustic amp.
Old 07-15-2020, 06:17 PM

I had a tweter made to plug into my guitar amp instead of buying an acoustic amp and it sounded pretty good but not like my acoustic acoustically. Keyboard amps are great if you want to save some money.
Old 07-15-2020, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwatcher View Post
That's very cool.

I never really thought about what I might be missing, without a dedicated acoustic amp. I have several solid state electric guitar amps.. and now you've got me wondering, what am I missing?

I have an Orange Crush 20RT, a Boss Katana 50 (with acoustic setting), a Yamaha TRX 10c (also with an acoustic setting), a Bugera BC-15, and a Yorkville XM50 Bass Master.. that I'll play electrics or an acoustic through.

Maybe it's time to shed one or two of my electric amps in favor of a dedicated acoustic amp.
My understanding is that good acoustic amps are voiced differently and don't color the guitar's sound in any way.

By the way, how do you like the acoustic settings on the Boss and Yamaha amps. I almost bought one of those THR10cs but would prefer a 2-channel amp to also handle vocal chores.
2010 Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster
1974 Rickenbacker 4001 Bass
Old 07-15-2020, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personatech View Post
By the way, how do you like the acoustic settings on the Boss and Yamaha amps. I almost bought one of those THR10cs but would prefer a 2-channel amp to also handle vocal chores.
They sound good.. but that’s kind of my point.

I’m not sure what I’m missing out on.
Old 07-16-2020, 03:53 AM

I'm a keen plugger-in and particularly a fan of Yamaha's design and production values but those Yamaha acoustic amps are awful. There will be situations where that is the perfect tool for the job but I can't think of one and it will not be versatile across many situations.

I'm a huge fan of the Yamaha AG Stomp which is pretty old tech now but contains all the things I like (and then some) about the Yamaha amp without the amp section which is (in my opinion) dead weight anyway. If you see an AG Stomp for manageable money I'd suggest you grab that and hook it up with a small powered speaker (will also take vocals, job done).
Old 07-16-2020, 04:26 AM
Guitar Gourmet

...'til her daddy takes the T-bird away.

Someone had to say it.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-16-2020, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
That's very cool.

An electric guitar amp is designed to color the tone of the guitar. An electric guitar and amp are designed to combine together to have a certain effect on the tone of the electric guitar. An acoustic amp is like a miniature PA, they're designed to faithfully reproduce the sound of the guitar and most have channels for vocals too.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 07-16-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
That's very cool.

Acoustic amps are generally voiced for acoustic guitar pickups and they generally have cleaner bigger sound. The best way to see the difference is plug into one. The closest amp you have to an acoustic amp would be your Bass Master which is decided for the clean tone of a bass, but although you will feel a bit of the proper low end, it's quite small and doesn't have a high end driver.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification