The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-19-2023, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
You have a good attitude. If Backcountry's experience (delivered in a week with the standard, no-charge shipping) plays out for you, you may have it before the expedited shipping would have gotten it to you. And the tracking? Pretty sure I can't believe UPS will get it from Ireland to South Dakota in 24 hours, like they are saying.

Looking forward to your NGD!
Good point! He got his super fast! Looking forward to your NGD too!
Old 07-19-2023, 07:27 PM

Happy anticipated NGD to all, and those who have recently acquired. Too many to post for each individually.

When you read up on the history of Emerald, you realize just how far they have come and how important they are to the future of instrument building.
Old 07-20-2023, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

Then suddenly UPS got in a hurry and delivered my X20 at 11:30am instead of between 6:15pm-8:15pm. Box was well worn but case and guitar are fine.
Old 07-20-2023, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassingThru View Post
Then suddenly UPS got in a hurry and delivered my X20 at 11:30am instead of between 6:15pm-8:15pm. Box was well worn but case and guitar are fine.
Way to go. Congrats. When I went to bed last night, my plain Jane amber Amicus was on it's way to Philadelphia. However, When I woke up around 8:30 am today, it was ready for pickup at the UPS terminal. I always arrange for pickup so that I don't have to wait around all day for delivery. I've had prior Amici but I've begun playing through my Fishman amp and the others didn't have pickups. I've never had an amber-colored Amicus, but it's a lot darker than I'd imagined. In my dark interior cabin, it may as well be black. An Amicus with a pickup for $1500 and change was too good to pass up. I like it...

Last edited by RP; 07-21-2023 at 10:51 AM.
Old 07-21-2023, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

Since UPS was still showing the guitar was in Ireland, I was pretty sure they weren't going to make that "July 20 by 7:00 pm" expected delivery. Judging from what others have reported, mine had not done the "Ireland Circle Tour, then onto Germany" as of last night.

This morning, the guitar is in Louisville, KY, "awaiting release from a government agency" (I think that means men in black suits and sunglasses are playing it)... estimated delivery is now Monday, July 24. Sounds more realistic.
Old 07-21-2023, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
...This morning, the guitar is in Louisville, KY, "awaiting release from a government agency" (I think that means men in black suits and sunglasses are playing it)... estimated delivery is now Monday, July 24. Sounds more realistic.
I'm glad that your sense of humor is still intact, but it sounds like the dreaded "customs fee" might be in the offing. I hope that what I'm thinking is incorrect for your sake...
Old 07-21-2023, 11:25 AM

Quote:
This morning, the guitar is in Louisville, KY, "awaiting release from a government agency" (I think that means men in black suits and sunglasses are playing it)... estimated delivery is now Monday, July 24. Sounds more realistic.

That's funny, and could be true...stranger things and all that! Looking forward to your thoughts when it's in your hands.
Old 07-21-2023, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

Mine had a 3 hour stop in Kentucky. No customs fee charged to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0213.jpg (22.5 KB, 51 views)
Old 07-21-2023, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

I purchased a Synthstrom Deluge a while back (before the big price increase) factory direct from New Zealand and DHL delivered it within 3 days door to door. It can be done.

Here is the link for the curious: https://synthstrom.com/product/deluge/

Tempted with that 25% off to try a Kestrel, but my wife put her foot down for the first time. Oh well. I can't complain, considering all the times she either supported or outright encouraged me to buy guitars. The last two were the Emerald X20 and X20-7 from David Eastwood. She had no problem with those (and neither did I, for the record...). My lifetime annuity starts in September which effectively doubles my Social Security, so maybe after that, but then the sale will be over.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 07-21-2023, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
I purchased a Synthstrom Deluge a while back (before the big price increase) factory direct from New Zealand and DHL delivered it within 3 days door to door. It can be done.

Here is the link for the curious: https://synthstrom.com/product/deluge/
I’ve had excellent experience with DHL for international shipping as well.

Quote:
Tempted with that 25% off to try a Kestrel, but my wife put her foot down for the first time. Oh well. I can't complain, considering all the times she either supported or outright encouraged me to buy guitars. The last two were the Emerald X20 and X20-7 from David Eastwood. She had no problem with those (and neither did I, for the record...). My lifetime annuity starts in September which effectively doubles my Social Security, so maybe after that, but then the sale will be over.

Tony
I, too, was tempted by a Kestrel, but didn’t approach the CFO with the idea. After all, your purchase of my previous two got me an Eastman archtop and my recent custom X20, so I really do not need to add another one.

Well, not right now, anyway
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

Last edited by David Eastwood; 07-21-2023 at 05:23 PM.
Old 07-21-2023, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
I’ve had excellent experience with DHL for international shipping as well.

I, too, was tempted by a Kestrel, but didn’t approach the CFO with the idea. After all, your purchase of my previous two got me an Eastman archtop and the my recent custom X20, so I really do not need to add another one.

Well, not right now, anyway
Well, they don't call me the Enabler for nothing (money for nothing...). I had a friend back when I worked as an electronic tech who would buy expensive stereo equipment and hide it at my place until he could sneak it home when his wife was either sleeping or out.

We just had our 40th wedding anniversary, and at least in part, because I don't do that. But I am willing to help those who would.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 07-21-2023, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

It's all my fault! I posted what UPS said about the guitar being in Louisville, KY, and not hitting the 3rd stop in Ireland, then going to Germany.

After UPS clearly stating the guitar was in Louisville, a check this afternoon showed it was now in Dublin, Ireland. OMG - they sent it back?? And now my wife tells me that it is in Germany! Clearly, UPS is just messin' with me.

I attribute it to that "government agency" where the guitar was "awaiting release" in Kentucky. Guys in black suits, wearing sunglasses. Pretty sure they had me look at their pen, and I remember seeing a flash... or maybe I'm confusing Men In Black with Groundhog Day??

UPS is still saying July 24th, which would put it a week enroute. Pretty sure all this is subject to change. And now, talk in the media about UPS going on strike???

I will patiently await the arrival, and not "stalk" it in the process. After I check the tracking just one more time. For now.

Old 07-21-2023, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

Weeeelllllll, I have to reverse my earlier post about wishing for a Kestrel. I showed my wife the Pau Ferro veneer Kestrel Emerald had in stock that is in the 25% off sale and she agreed that I could order it, so I didn't hesitate to get it done. This one comes with a Hiscox hard shell case. The back and sides are Amber.

I selected the "Courier" shipping for 7 - 10 days, not because it is supposed to get here faster, but because that shipping contains full tracking information. After reading all the discussion here about waiting and wondering where the guitar is, I felt that the tracking info should alleviate much of the concern. I hope that is the case.

Now, I will have all the Emerald products I was interested in: X20 6 string, X20 7 string, and the Kestrel archtop ...and I won't have to deal with the pinless bridge since the archtop won't have that and neither do the other Emeralds I have.

So there...:

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 07-21-2023, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
Weeeelllllll, I have to reverse my earlier post about wishing for a Kestrel. I showed my wife the Pau Ferro veneer Kestrel Emerald had in stock that is in the 25% off sale and she agreed that I could order it, so I didn't hesitate to get it done. This one comes with a Hiscox hard shell case. The back and sides are Amber.

I selected the "Courier" shipping for 7 - 10 days, not because it is supposed to get here faster, but because that shipping contains full tracking information. After reading all the discussion here about waiting and wondering where the guitar is, I felt that the tracking info should alleviate much of the concern. I hope that is the case.

Now, I will have all the Emerald products I was interested in: X20 6 string, X20 7 string, and the Kestrel archtop ...and I won't have to deal with the pinless bridge since the archtop won't have that and neither do the other Emeralds I have.

So there...:
Oh my. Do let me know when it arrives, and we can have a 5 Emerald confluence.

I can’t wait to try your Kestrel - and I’m sure you can’t, either.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 07-21-2023, 08:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
Oh my. Do let me know when it arrives, and we can have a 5 Emerald confluence.

I can’t wait to try your Kestrel - and I’m sure you can’t, either.
It is going to be one heck of a St. Patrick's Day next March.

By the way, I think I found the style that the X20 really shines with. I tuned to DADGAD and then Open D (G to F# is the only difference) and the chimey sound with the sustain is ideal.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber