The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-22-2019, 09:06 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
DEFINITELY not getting electronics on whatever I get. I’m not going down that road again.
A Taylor without electronics? I thought there was a law against that.

FOR SALE: 2023 Martin 000-15SM 12 fret w/ K&K mini

Old 05-22-2019, 11:40 AM

I am looking forward to trying the new GP in rosewood to see how it compares to my recently acquired SJ14 which may just be the best acoustic I have ever played. I love that there's another Advanced Jumbo type body available. Curious to see how it compares to the AJ.
Old 05-22-2019, 02:17 PM

I did something bad....reeeeeal bad....
Old 05-22-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
I did something bad....reeeeeal bad....
Tempted by the dark side? But where's the NGD post?
Old 05-23-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MChild62 View Post
Tempted by the dark side? But where's the NGD post?

I’ll just say yes for now...although my opinion is altering very, very quickly.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
I’ll just say yes for now...although my opinion is altering very, very quickly.

The suspense!! I hope you’re not sorry to have let got the 000-18! Worried about you..talk to us...let us know you’re ok...
Old 05-23-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
The suspense!! I hope you’re not sorry to have let got the 000-18! Worried about you..talk to us...let us know you’re ok...
Shipped out the 000-18 this morning. I bought the 000-18 because I LOVE Julian Lage and his sound. But, alas, I discovered that I am no Julian Lage, and while it was cool having that sound, it just isn't me. I like big guitars with big sound.

I've now played three 717s, and each time I liked them more and more. The comfort and aesthetic sucked me in first, but it just sounds right for DADGAD. I am not looking at these guitars for bluegrass or standard tuning, but specifically for DADGAD. 75% of what I play is in DADGAD.

So, sound wise the 717 is balanced and the low end is strong but not overpowering. I'd say it replicates what I loved about the 000-18 and just amps it up a bit. The sound is right in between a Martin and a Gibson. It's got enough of that honky midrange I love in the Gibson, but with the assertiveness and power of a Martin dread. Low end is enveloping, rather than forward and out front.

Oh yeah....so here she is....

Old 05-23-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Shipped out the 000-18 this morning. I bought the 000-18 because I LOVE Julian Lage and his sound. But, alas, I discovered that I am no Julian Lage, and while it was cool having that sound, it just isn't me. I like big guitars with big sound.

I've now played three 717s, and each time I liked them more and more. The comfort and aesthetic sucked me in first, but it just sounds right for DADGAD. I am not looking at these guitars for bluegrass or standard tuning, but specifically for DADGAD. 75% of what I play is in DADGAD.

So, sound wise the 717 is balanced and the low end is strong but not overpowering. I'd say it replicates what I loved about the 000-18 and just amps it up a bit. The sound is right in between a Martin and a Gibson. It's got enough of that honky midrange I love in the Gibson, but with the assertiveness and power of a Martin dread. Low end is enveloping, rather than forward and out front.

Oh yeah....so here she is....

Congratulations!!
And I agree on the observation of tone being somewhere between a Martin and a Gibson, but also neither
Old 05-23-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Congratulations!!
And I agree on the observation of tone being somewhere between a Martin and a Gibson, but also neither
But it also doesn't really sound like a Taylor to me. It's got a thicker sound, more girth to the tone. I got excited because the sound of these is so new and different, my mind didn't place it in any camp per se. It is going to be fun getting to know this one!

I'm also not going to post a NGD thread right away. I want a week or so to get to know it. I would like to give a full review from a 110% skeptic's point of view on V Bracing. I have made comments that I would never own another Taylor after their marketing of V Bracing, and I have been very "Monday morning quarterbacking" on the whole launch. No shame, no denial, I just simply haven't been nice about it.

So, let's see if I can post a NGD from a place of conversion rather than regret...
Old 05-23-2019, 01:31 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
I've now played three 717s, and each time I liked them more and more...sound wise the 717 is balanced and the low end is strong but not overpowering...The sound is right in between a Martin and a Gibson. It's got enough of that honky midrange I love in the Gibson, but with the assertiveness and power of a Martin dread. Low end is enveloping, rather than forward and out front.
Quote:
But it also doesn't really sound like a Taylor to me. It's got a thicker sound, more girth to the tone. I got excited because the sound of these is so new and different, my mind didn't place it in any camp per se.
I wish you’d quit describing it this way. It just might convince me to give Taylor another try.

Old 05-23-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
I wish you’d quit describing it this way. It just might convince me to give Taylor another try.
I think it is just the 717 in particular, and not necessarily V Bracing or Taylor in general. And again, I'm buying it specifically for DADGAD and it gives me something I really like in that department. I played the 717s in the shop very little in standard tuning, and those darn Elixirs are too slippery for me to really enjoy any sort of bluegrass playing. I just slip off on the hammer-ons and pull offs. Also, the 000-18 just didn't have a long enough scale to give me the power I wanted.

I'm interested though to see how it compares in standard tuning to my D-18 and J-45. It is going to be HARD to beat my new D-18 because I believe that it is the best sounding guitar I've ever owned period. We will see what happens.

At the end of the day, I plan to keep the Martin in standard tuning, the Gibson in dropped D, and the 717 in DADGAD. Should be fun!
Old 05-23-2019, 01:41 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
I think it is just the 717 in particular, and not necessarily V Bracing or Taylor in general. And again, I'm buying it specifically for DADGAD and it gives me something I really like in that department. The 000-18 just didn't have a long enough scale to give me the power I wanted.

I'm interested though to see how it compares in standard tuning to my D-18 and J-45. It is going to be HARD to beat my new D-18 because I believe that it is the best sounding guitar I've ever owned period. We will see what happens.

At the end of the day, I plan to keep the Martin in standard tuning, the Gibson in dropped D, and the 717 in DADGAD. Should be fun!
Yeah, the only Taylor I’d try would be a GP. I’ve owned five Taylors, including a V-class 714ce...and it only lasted in the herd a couple months. Not going to make that mistake again. Be interested in your take on how a GP would work for heavy strumming and flat picking, which is my thing. I’m thinking they’re more for a lighter touch and fingerstyle. But I won’t really know until I try one.

Old 05-23-2019, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

Just picked up a 517 with the sunburst, and dang it's a beautiful guitar! I front a band, and will be using it primarily for rhythm strumming. I purchased it sans the ES2, and just had a Baggs Anthem SL installed. I had a pickguard custom designed for it based on the R. Taylor Style 3 (dread) pickguard shape, but haven't applied it yet. The pickguard looks fantastic on it, and I tend to prefer a pickguard on my guitars, but still thinking about whether to stick it on the 517. BTW - I got a very nice price on it from Willcutt Guitars in Lexington, KY. I REALLY like this guitar.
Old 05-23-2019, 02:17 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcnbys View Post
Just picked up a 517 with the sunburst, and dang it's a beautiful guitar! I front a band, and will be using it primarily for rhythm strumming. I purchased it sans the ES2, and just had a Baggs Anthem SL installed. I had a pickguard custom designed for it based on the R. Taylor Style 3 (dread) pickguard shape, but haven't applied it yet. The pickguard looks fantastic on it, and I tend to prefer a pickguard on my guitars, but still thinking about whether to stick it on the 517. BTW - I got a very nice price on it from Willcutt Guitars in Lexington, KY. I REALLY like this guitar.
So do you find it holds up well to some heavy strumming?

Old 05-23-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
Yeah, the only Taylor I’d try would be a GP. I’ve owned five Taylors, including a V-class 714ce...and it only lasted in the herd a couple months. Not going to make that mistake again. Be interested in your take on how a GP would work for heavy strumming and flat picking, which is my thing. I’m thinking they’re more for a lighter touch and fingerstyle. But I won’t really know until I try one.
Just from my short experience with the 717s I've played, I think it will handle heavy strumming just fine, but with a caveat. I think it is going to very clear, precise, and surgical still because you hit the nail on the head when you said "I think they are more for a lighter touch." It will handle it just fine, but enjoying how it handles it is another story. I watched a video with Andy and Tony Polecastro, and that video totally changed my opinion of V Bracing. The way he explained what he is going for makes total sense, and I tend to want to take back a lot of my preconceived notions on the subject. Essentially, making the guitar stronger down the middle and allowing the sides to vibrating freely makes a lot of sense. Does it provide perfectly intonated overtones as advertise??? Well, the jury is out on that one. Maybe someone has done a study....I just plan on playing the guitar.

I will say that I don't think people are micing the V Class bracing in a way that complements the guitar. Most videos are micing the guitars the same way you would mic an X braced guitar. Since Andy Powers says that these guitars are meant to be recorded, I wonder if micing them how we traditionally mic guitars is cutting all the lows. I found the GP to have plenty of low end. So, if the guitar itself is correcting the micing issues, then maybe it needs to be mic'd differently.

Andy's videos all sound incredible, so it can sound good mic'd.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion