The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-04-2018, 11:39 AM

Default Mossman History

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube Sound View Post
Athens, above and beyond the call of duty. How cool you could actually just go over and talk to Scott. A very talented and busy man. Thanks for taking the time to help with Mossman history.
Thank you, glad to do it but mine was the easy part. Kudos to Scott and Pam for taking time out of their day to talk.
1968 Aria 6815 12 String, bought new
Old 04-04-2018, 05:40 PM

Athens: incredible, incredible, incredible. THANK YOU for doing the research. Now I know something about my Flint Hills that I didn't know before.

I wonder what that means, that this guitar was one of the first, or THE first, built after the fire. Does that make it better, or worse, or no different, than a pre-fire Flint Hills? Were any design changes made as production started again?

Just to have a little bit of Mossman lore about my own particular Mossman...that's priceless. Thank you so much!
Old 04-06-2018, 09:50 AM

Default Mossman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve0 View Post
Athens: incredible, incredible, incredible. THANK YOU for doing the research. Now I know something about my Flint Hills that I didn't know before.

I wonder what that means, that this guitar was one of the first, or THE first, built after the fire. Does that make it better, or worse, or no different, than a pre-fire Flint Hills? Were any design changes made as production started again?

Just to have a little bit of Mossman lore about my own particular Mossman...that's priceless. Thank you so much!
Hi SteveO!

You're welcome, but, again, all I did was listen. Scott and Pam were very helpful and accommodating in offering the information and memories.

As far as what it means for your particular instrument, I don' think it would make a difference with a small volume high end builder like Mossman. They tend to maintain a high level of quality at all times. Probably more so after an event like that.

High volume builders are more like a large scale manufacturing process. There are always bugs to work out when you start up a factory. Just my less then humble opinion anyway.

The important thing is, enjoy your guitar and I was glad we could tell you about it's history.
1968 Aria 6815 12 String, bought new
Old 04-09-2018, 09:00 PM

Cool

I have a 76 Timber Creek and 76 Winter Wheat 12 String. They are my favorite guitars. I've had the Timber Creek since 1976 and the Winter Wheat since 2011.
The Timber Creek is similar to a Great Plains but has abalone soundhole inlay, cat's eyes fingerboard inlays and no herringbone. The Winter Wheat has abalone bound top, two piece back and snowflake inlays on the fingerboard. They both have Indian RW and Sitka tops.
My snobby Martin friends usually have to always say something derogatory about my guitars when I jam with them but I can easily drown all of them out. But that's not what I do.
I've known my music friends a long time and their friendship is much more important than their opinions on guitars. Everyone has opinions......so just play on and enjoy the music!

'76 Mossman Timber Creek
'76 Mossman Winter Wheat 12 string
'69 Guild D50
'64 Guild D40
'76 Ovation Custom Legend
'04 Blueridge BR260
2012 Martin D-18
1965 Martin D-21
1934 Martin C-2 Conversion

Last edited by mario1956; 04-09-2018 at 09:07 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 02:56 PM

Default Mossman Sales Literature

A few years ago I picked up some Mossman sales literature. I actually have a bunch of it, so just posting the info sheet on the Winter Wheat model. I have more and can be PM'd if looking for another model. I may post another piece or two. I apologize in advance for my lack of photo skills. Hope they are readable. Good stuff.

TS

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Tube Sound; 05-08-2018 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Image clarity
Old 05-07-2018, 05:07 PM

I have never had the good luck to come across one, but Dan Crary sure could make his sing.

Bourgeois, Collings, Eastman, Gibson, Martin
Old 05-07-2018, 08:21 PM

There was a guy from Oklahoma I played music with in the early 80s when I was in the service that had a Mosssman, I can't remember what model it was but it was an amazing guitar. I was playing a vintage D28 at the time that was a pretty darn good guitar and that Mossman was amazing..... Still my bucket list guitar
2017 Washburn Revival 1939 Solo Deluxe reissue (S EIR sunburst) (Amber)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
2008 S style (Blue)
2018 T style (Pearl)
2019 Fender Mustang II V2

Last edited by Kerbie; 05-08-2018 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Removed masked profanity
Old 05-08-2018, 09:05 AM

Way, way back in the late 70’s or early 80’s I played a ‘56 Gidson J-50 as my only guitar. A local shop had a Mossman on the wall that I lusted after until someone finally took it home.........right before I traded for it.

Petros, Paragon, National, Martin, Rainsong, and Santa Cruz
Old 05-09-2018, 08:08 AM

I've looked for years but have never found a lefty Mossman.

Gary
Old 05-09-2018, 07:06 PM

It seems strange that considering how much love those who have played and owned Mossmans seem to have, their value is so low in the marketplace. After 41 years I wouldn't sell mine for any price, but it wouldn't bring the price of a new Martin D 28. I turned down a trade for a nice D 35S back in '78. I'm glad I did, to my ears the Mossman sounded better even back then. It sounds so good now 40 years later. They are a bargain if you can find one.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:35 AM

Yes it is a beauty. I really like the straight grain back.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitaurman View Post
It seems strange that considering how much love those who have played and owned Mossmans seem to have, their value is so low in the marketplace. After 41 years I wouldn't sell mine for any price, but it wouldn't bring the price of a new Martin D 28. I turned down a trade for a nice D 35S back in '78. I'm glad I did, to my ears the Mossman sounded better even back then. It sounds so good now 40 years later. They are a bargain if you can find one.
This is interesting. Martin has made over two million guitars and Mossman made about 6,000. You would think that rarity would at some point translate to dollars but not necessarily. I haven't followed Mossman pricing to a great degree but it seems the few I see for sale are often the lower models. Try and find a cheap Golden Era. Like you, Guitaurman, I wouldn't sell at least two of mine for any price. In the end I view the low prices as a good thing. It allows those who want one to be able to step in, without too much financial pain.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:51 AM

I missed out on a 76 Great Plains last week for $950 that will probably haunt me forever. Pictures made it appear to be in great shape but couldn’t tell if it needed a neck reset, and I was out of town at the time. Tried to convince my father-in-law to take a look but somebody snatched it up.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:10 AM

It’s because they’re not well known enough. Mossmans were essentially a regional brand, with most of their following in the southern Great Plains states of Kansas, Colorado, Oklahoma and Texas. There were lots of other players using Mossmans when I was gigging out in Kansas City, but when I moved to Chicago I met precisely one other person who owned a Mossman, and he was a hard core bluegrass guy. (He also liked my Mossman more than his, and tried to buy mine off me...)

Anyway, there are too many Mossman guitars in circulation to be considered rare, but they’re not well known enough to command much interest. There’s a similar situation with Tacoma guitars, but even more so: I occasionally see Tacoma guitars listed for under $300 on Craigslist. All Tacoma guitars have solid wood tops and the later ones are all-solid wood, but they sell for less money than it would take to buy the materials to build them.

That’s the same dynamic as what’s happened with Mossmans. The prices on them have actually gone up in recent years, but they’re never going to sell for the same price as similar Martins.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 05-10-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
It’s because they’re not well known enough. Mossmans were essentially a regional brand, with most of their following in the southern Great Plains states of Kansas, Colorado, Oklahoma and Texas. There were lots of other players using Mossmans when I was gigging out in Kansas City, but when I moved to Chicago I met precisely one other person who owned a Mossman, and he was a hard core bluegrass guy. (He also liked my Mossman more than his, and tried to buy mine off me...)

Anyway, there are too many Mossman guitars in circulation to be considered rare, but they’re not well known enough to command much interest. There’s a similar situation with Tacoma guitars, but even more so: I occasionally see Tacoma guitars listed for under $300 on Craigslist. All Tacoma guitars have solid wood tops and the later ones are all-solid wood, but they sell for less money than it would take to buy the materials to build them.

That’s the same dynamic as what’s happened with Mossmans. The prices on them have actually gone up in recent years, but they’re never going to sell for the same price as similar Martins.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
That does make sense other than calling Colorado a "southern Great Plains state." I'm not trying to nitpick, I know Colorado borders on Kansas and Oklahoma, and Texas is just across the Oklahoma panhandle about 40 miles from our border. Colorado is a Rocky Mountain State and my home! The terrain is quite different from those "Plains States.

Regardless they are very underpriced and great guitars. I own and gig with other quality guitars, Gibsons and Guilds among them. I love those guitars but they still don't come close to my Mossman even though they would bring more money if I sold them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion