The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-11-2016, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRockinPapi View Post
How is that avc6? I have been wanting one of those, but it's a new one so there aren't many reviews out there yet?
I'm very impressed with it. The build quality is nice, it's very light and resonant and sounds really nice. I put a Baggs M1 in as soon as I got it home and played 3 gigs that week. It did a great job. The only complaint I have is the tuners aren't great quality, but they work. Here's a really good demo on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/McrZJyKMlBo
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 10-11-2016, 07:33 PM

Ten bucks says she says no. Just go buy it.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
Ten bucks says she says no. Just go buy it.
She already said yes. Going back tomorrow to get it.

More to come!!!
Old 10-11-2016, 07:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyohio75 View Post
She already said yes. Going back tomorrow to get it.
You won't be able to set it down all weekend.
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

Old 10-11-2016, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmicko View Post
You won't be able to set it down all weekend.
That's the plan. Will only sit it down to watch the Buckeyes on Saturday night and the Tribe whenever they play!!

More to come!!!
Old 10-11-2016, 08:06 PM

I went into GC about 1.5 years ago, looking to get either one of the Yamaha LS16 models or a Martin 000-15. It was pushing my budget but I could do it.

The Yamahas were too trebly and bright for my tastes. The Martin was just right.

Then I saw the Ibanez AC240, also on the top row... I had read some glowing reviews here. I had the guy get it down, played a chord, and Shazam, I fell in love. I tried the Martin again. A little better, but... not four times better. I've been happy with the Ibanez since.

And I do think that Ibanez is riding the tide of improved Chinese guitar quality. And they are making some unique models.

~Dave
~Music self-played is happiness self-made
Old 10-11-2016, 09:43 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmz76 View Post

Hmmmmm.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-12-2016, 01:32 AM

Well. Trust me, I don't like to be "that guy", but something you said just doesn't sit well with me. So, you make the money, but your wife has a say in how it gets spent? Well, that is the way it should be, if you ask me. You are a family, right, and you have kids? Even if your wife doesn't earn money like you do, I bet she puts a lot of work into getting your family and your life together to work out well. Maybe you wouldn't even be able to make the money you do if it wasn't for her doing a lot of the groundwork 'behind the scenes'. Also, I think she has her priorities straight when she puts your daughter's education over an expensive guitar.

Don't get me wrong. Of course you should also have a say, and if you truly want that guitar, I hope you will be able to get it at some point. I completely understand where you are coming from, by the way, as I wanted that Martin 000-15 for a long time too - and finally, I was able to get it. But I did have to work on the numbers and make sure everything would work out for the familiy at the same time. As it happens, I also had an AC240 in the past, and there is nothing wrong with that, it is actually not very far from the Martin, so that should surely be able to tide you over!

Anyway, I hope you will not take this the wrong way - I understand that I probably shouldn't take your comment all to seriously, and by my measures you did the right thing going for the AC240. Now be sure to enjoy it (until you get a chance to trade it in for the Martin!)
Old 10-12-2016, 06:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom PC View Post
....Now be sure to enjoy it (until you get a chance to trade it in for the Martin!)
Don't listen to crazy talk like that, it's not going to be worth anything on trade. Keep it to take places you don't want to take the Martin!
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

Old 10-12-2016, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom PC View Post
Well. Trust me, I don't like to be "that guy", but something you said just doesn't sit well with me. So, you make the money, but your wife has a say in how it gets spent? Well, that is the way it should be, if you ask me. You are a family, right, and you have kids? Even if your wife doesn't earn money like you do, I bet she puts a lot of work into getting your family and your life together to work out well. Maybe you wouldn't even be able to make the money you do if it wasn't for her doing a lot of the groundwork 'behind the scenes'. Also, I think she has her priorities straight when she puts your daughter's education over an expensive guitar.

Don't get me wrong. Of course you should also have a say, and if you truly want that guitar, I hope you will be able to get it at some point. I completely understand where you are coming from, by the way, as I wanted that Martin 000-15 for a long time too - and finally, I was able to get it. But I did have to work on the numbers and make sure everything would work out for the familiy at the same time. As it happens, I also had an AC240 in the past, and there is nothing wrong with that, it is actually not very far from the Martin, so that should surely be able to tide you over!

Anyway, I hope you will not take this the wrong way - I understand that I probably shouldn't take your comment all to seriously, and by my measures you did the right thing going for the AC240. Now be sure to enjoy it (until you get a chance to trade it in for the Martin!)
No, you are exactly right. At the end of the day the family comes first which is why my first guitar cost $174 and the AC240 will cost me around $275. If I chose to be one of those tough guy husbands who thinks "I make the money, I can spend it how I choose" then I would own 3 Martins, 2 Taylor's and a Collings. I know where my priorities are, I just think it would be nice to walk into a guitar shop and buy whatever I want. I will get the AC240 now and maybe set aside a little cash each month until I have enough for something great. I turn 50 in three years. That might be a good time to splurge. After all, all work and no play makes Jim a dull boy.

More to come!!!
Old 10-12-2016, 06:29 AM

The AC240 is indeed a great guitar, and everybody who likes a dread should check the dreadnought version, still all mahogany. I have it and it is wonderful.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:14 AM

Quote:
I may be jumping the gun a bit but what kind of strings do you guys like on your AC240?
I heard that all mahogany guitars can be finicky to certain types of strings.
I like EB Earthwood medium lights. They're 80/20s
Old 10-12-2016, 09:05 AM

Jim, your story about love at first sound on the AC240 is similar to what I experienced with an Ibanez AW54, the dreadnought version of your guitar. One strum and the sound that came out had me hooked. I took it home with me. I have lots of guitars way more expensive, but it is the one I keep out on the stand in my office and pick up every day. The 240 is on my radar but having trouble justifying another guitar. Don't worry, I always find a way to rise above my principles when it comes to acquiring guitars; it just takes a while to do that these days.

Steve
Old 10-12-2016, 09:33 AM

These cheap hog deals and wow threads are making me curious.
I'll try them when I visit GC next time.

Quote:
It's kinda funny how I make all the money in the family but the wife determines how it gets spent.
That's the story of many.
Thankfully, I don't have that issue.
My wife only complains about the space in the house.
Need to sell my two dozen vintage speakers sometimes soon.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerardo1000 View Post
The AC240 is indeed a great guitar, and everybody who likes a dread should check the dreadnought version, still all mahogany. I have it and it is wonderful.
What model is that, please? Do you mean the AW54? I suspect that is a slightly different level of guitar because it costs $100 less. I know the AC240 has a bone nut and saddle so I'm guessing the AW54 has some kind of plastic counterpart.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion