The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-16-2003, 03:38 AM

Unhappy Please Help My Friend Choose

I have a close friend who is about to purchase a Yamaha Bass Guitar. But he is terribly confused between the TRB5II and the BB2005. He is getting both at the same price from the local dealer in Singapore.

Could some of you bass guitarists please help him choose between these two? He needs one that will last him a long long way...at least 5 years. Thanks.
Old 09-16-2003, 09:31 PM
Charter Member

so, if you think about it... this guy is "a friend of A Friend"
Old 09-17-2003, 08:02 AM

well, the BB2005 is a neck-through with a maple/alder body, rosewood fretboard, and active electronics. The TRB5II has an ash body, bolt-on neck (I think) and better active electronics. They're both 5 string models. If I was making the choice, I'd choose the TRBII... Looks real sharp, and the BB2005 looks like it might have a "signature body shape"... that's all. Play 'em both... see which one he likes. Check out the Yamaha's Home Page then click on "Products" > "Guitars" > "Bass Guitars"
Taylor 714CE
all lefties, all the time!
Old 09-17-2003, 08:08 AM

Thanks Bino. But aren't neck-thrus better than bolt-on necks for bass guitars? And besides looks, what other factors would make you go for the TRB5II?
Old 09-17-2003, 01:55 PM

well, generally I think neck-through designs are better for a bass guitar, but it looks like the TRB5II has better electronics (bass, mid, treb, vol) and better pickups than the BB2005. Has your friend tried the two of them? Not being a bassist myself, I can't speak from experience... but I know that fender basses (i.e. Precision and Jazz models) are very popular and they're all bolt-on. Here's what I understand to be true... (bear with me, I might be full of it!!!)
Neck-thru designs will have a better tone because the neck and the body are actually one semi-solid piece of wood so there is more resonance (important for a bass). A bolt-on has a little less resonance because there isn't as much contact between the surfaces. However, in mass production instruments, it might be a little difficult to get the action "just right" on every bass, and quite often they're hard (if not impossible) to adjust. This isn't a problem for a bolt-on. Also, some people prefer a bolt-on neck for "slapping and popping" on a bass... don't know why, exactly. What kind of style does your friend play? I guess all I can suggest is for him to take some time and play them both. I'm no expert, and I'm sure someone here who plays some bass will chime in with their experiences. Good luck!
Taylor 714CE
all lefties, all the time!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification