The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-12-2003, 08:03 PM
Undignified

Question HD28 Owners I am using my Lifeline

As I go through this search for an affordable dread with awesome tone I need to ask HD28 owners for your input.

I am using my lifeline and asking the audience.

Speak to me . Please tell me honestly what you think of this model.

I found an HD28 I really liked and the dealer is holding it for me but time is running out.
Input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2004 Martin OM28V
Old 09-12-2003, 08:23 PM
Business Casual

The HD-28 is a great guitar. Awesome tone and has that faithful Martin "umph."

Have you also tried a D-35, HD-35, D-28, and HD-28v?
They are all in the same general boat when it comes to Upper-Middle Martin dreads.

I personally have a HD-28v. Shoot me an email if you got any questions....

[email protected]
Old 09-12-2003, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

a LOT of people love them
I've found the one's I've played to be just a little too muddy in the lower register

I just ordered, on approval, an HD-28 VS -- vintage style bracing, 12 frets to the body, slotted headstock, 1 3/4 nut width -- supposed to have a more balanced tone with more presence, and "snap".

I also, personally, needed the wider nut width for my fat hands.

I had to order one, sight unseen, as there was limited selection in town. We'll see when it gets here
Old 09-12-2003, 09:08 PM

The HD-28 qualifies as a "lap cannon". A great guitar...

Steve
Old 09-12-2003, 09:16 PM
Undignified

Quote:
Originally posted by Jefferson
a LOT of people love them
I've found the one's I've played to be just a little too muddy in the lower register

I just ordered, on approval, an HD-28 VS -- vintage style bracing, 12 frets to the body, slotted headstock, 1 3/4 nut width -- supposed to have a more balanced tone with more presence, and "snap".

I also, personally, needed the wider nut width for my fat hands.

I had to order one, sight unseen, as there was limited selection in town. We'll see when it gets here

Does the slotted headstock on the HD28VS change the tone?
Is that the only thing different from the HD28V?

Thanks

2004 Martin OM28V
Old 09-12-2003, 09:18 PM

I have had one now for just over a year. Do not understand the
"it's muddy". This is one that you feel in your gut when playing it vibrates so much. When you strum a chord, it is amazing how long it rings! I added a bone nut, saddle and tusq pins and it really evened out the balance between low end and high end.
As far as rosewood guitars go, you just can't go wrong with an HD. It is loud so if you have a timid voice, you may have problems singing over it. An hd-28 is a 40 series martin without all of the pearl. I have played a few hd28-v's and would recommend trying them also. V neck, forward shifted braces makes the top move a little more. Make sure you are comfortable with a 1 11/16th neck width. Obviously, I am biased but everytime I play it I am amazed at the tone that comes out of that box.
Old 09-12-2003, 09:28 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Tonal differences will be due to the different bracing patterns and the 12 fret vs 14 fret design's of the guitars (placing the bridge in a different relative position on the top). Theoretically, a slotted headstock may have a very slight impact on tone vs a non-slotted headstock as the string break angle at the nut is a bit greater, but that is in theory. I have yet to talk to a builder who believes they can hear a difference between a slotted vs. non-slotted headstock. Then why go with a slotted headstock? They look cool.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 09-12-2003, 10:16 PM
Charter Member

the VS also adds a 1 3/4 nut width

that said, there's a 14-fret vintage model with this same nut width as well -- I think its the HD-28 LSV

i guess muddiness is a subjective thing. what I consider muddy is when you fret the low E string at the 12th fret and it loses that bell-like quality that I hear in, say, any Taylor I've ever played. Instead, you get a thud... String problem? Nope, even with new strings (beit Martins) I still get the same impression.

Hoping the Vintage bracing will liven things up in the lower register.
Old 09-13-2003, 01:20 PM

I'm positively thrilled with my HD-28. There are, however, some things to consider. The Martin has the 1-11/16" nut width. Some folks (myself included) have some trouble going back and forth between 1-11/16 and 1-3/4 widths.

Also, the fit and finish of my 410ce is better than that of my HD-28. Before making the purchase, I'd recommend checking the inside of the body with a mirror. Even finding a cosmetic issue with the fit and finish may get you a few bucks off of the guitar.

Good luck and let us know what you ultimately choose.

If at first you don't succeed, find comfort in the fact that the grapes were probably sour anyway...
Old 09-13-2003, 01:25 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

I'm not sure how much a dealer will give you off for a bemish on the inside of the guitar!

The Martins I have been coming across lately (at Gryphon, Schoenberg) have had no finish problems to speak of-no more than Taylor at least. Head on over to Guitar Center and you will definatley find some "stressed" guitars

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 09-13-2003, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff M
I'm not sure how much a dealer will give you off for a bemish on the inside of the guitar!

The Martins I have been coming across lately (at Gryphon, Schoenberg) have had no finish problems to speak of-no more than Taylor at least. Head on over to Guitar Center and you will definatley find some "stressed" guitars
My Taylor came from GC and was perfect. My Martin came from the local shop and has some finish bleed on the binding. Very minor, but my opinion remains that Taylor fit-and-finish is superior to Martins. I say this as a very satisfied Martin owner, too. GC has nothing to do with quality control at the factory.

Regarding price drops on blemishes, try this. Utter the words "I love this guitar and would love to take it home today, but I just don't like the [minor defect]." As you walk toward the door, I bet the price will drop.

If at first you don't succeed, find comfort in the fact that the grapes were probably sour anyway...
Old 09-13-2003, 03:35 PM

The HD-28 is a great guitar. If you found one you like; buy it!!

Success is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm -- Winston Churchill
Old 09-14-2003, 05:51 AM

I had an HD-28 for five years. It is a great guitar, especially for flat-picking, and has that signature martin dark tone and punch.

Gardner

Old 09-14-2003, 10:27 AM

I have the HD28v. It is a terrific guitar especially for bluegrass and flat picking. I have played HD28v's and HD28's as well as other Martins that are "muddy" so beware. If the one you are playing has that magical bass that is unique to Martin w/o being "muddy," for a new dreadnaught, they can't be beat IMHO. If you buy it, take it in and have it setup correctly. You'll be glad you did.

Unlike Taylors, I would be hesitant to buy a Martin until I had played it first. They are far too inconsistant. However I have friends that have ordered Martins and they've turned out fine.

A Taylor is a Taylor is a Taylor....
for the most part ( And I mean that in a positive way )

Last edited by JimC; 09-14-2003 at 10:36 AM.
Old 09-14-2003, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

Played a few that I really like a great deal.

Played a ton that I'd just as soon not play again (really).

I've got nothing against them, but there are a select few out there that really have "that sound", most do not (to my ear anyway).

Come to think of it . . .

Maybe you ought to buy my D-21 LE (there are only 75 like it in the world). Drop me an email if you're interested.

Sorry for the shameless plug . . .

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification