The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-05-2012, 03:47 PM

Default Easiest Recording Software?

Greetings,

I just purchased a Zoom R16. I just want to record my acoustic guitar and add some EQ and reverb.

I don't need numerous tracks or effects. I am already wondering if the R16 was overkill and I perhaps would have been better off with the Zoom H4n.

In any event, I am new to this and would like some advice on the easiest, user friendly software to mix the recording and burn onto a CD.

Any help is very much appreciated.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:24 PM

It's easy to say which is easiest when you've used it for a while.

I've used CuBase, Reaper and Audacity.

Audacity is absolutely free. Reaper is free to use but they'd like you to pay for it and CuBase comes free as a 'light' version with some audio hardware but is relatively expensive otherwise.

They all take a little getting used to so I wouldn't say that any one of them is easiest out of the box. But after using all three, I find Reaper the easiest to use and understand. I've gotten more out of it since I've started using it than I ever did out of the other two.

I also have a copy of Abelton Live, which came free with my audio interface, but I've never really gotten off the ground with that.

Reaper also has a great forum to get technical help from. The people there are eager to help.

YouTube (GuiTuber)
SoundCloud

My modest collection:
Hohner HGK-512 (no strings; lifted bridge)
Yamaha FG720S-12, w/ p'ups
Alvarez AJ60S, w/ p'ups
Ibanez AEB5 acoustic bass

Pickups: JBB-Electronics Prestige 330 (SBT) - finest quality at half the price

Recording gear:
Focusrite Saffire 6
MXL 990 and 991 condensor mics
Old 06-05-2012, 04:42 PM

Default Easiest Recording Software

Thanks so much for the lead Rob!

I am willing to put the time in, but I really find it frustrating when the manuals are not written clearly and leave out steps and so forth.

Knowing that there is light at the end, I will give Reaper a try.

Thanks again for the advice.

Michael
Old 06-05-2012, 05:13 PM

If youre looking for something easy, its audacity....
.cubase is NOT easy, you will get mad and shoot your computer if you use cubase

Dave
Old 06-06-2012, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1 View Post
Greetings,

In any event, I am new to this and would like some advice on the easiest, user friendly software to mix the recording and burn onto a CD.

Any help is very much appreciated.
Mike:
What Operating System are you using (Windows 7, Vista, OSX)? That will influence my suggestion.

Regarding 'easiest' - I would slightly alter your inquiry to focus on, best value with the most accessible support materials (e.g. videos, tutorials, etc).

As you know playing guitar isn't easy, when done well enough to record. Neither is recording for that matter.

I teach Sound Design and Audio Production at a University in Pittsburgh. We use multiple audio products - over the years I have taught hundreds of students Cubase, Logic, Sonar, Pro-Tools, Samplitude and this year I am adding Studio One. In the fifteen years I have been teaching, I've observed which tools seem most intuitive. The tools have changed a lot since the introduction of products like Reason, Live, and Garage Band. I think you'll have no problem learning one well enough to accomplish your objective as stated in your initial post.

-D
Old 06-06-2012, 07:06 AM

If you have a Mac, Garageband is far and away the easiest choice. Audacity is free and can be used on any platform. I don't find it as easy as GB, but it's certainly not difficult.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchalebk View Post
If you have a Mac, Garageband is far and away the easiest choice. Audacity is free and can be used on any platform. I don't find it as easy as GB, but it's certainly not difficult.
Alternately, if you're on a PC platform, Mixcraft is very much like Garageband. Very easy to use with a pretty fair amount of plugins and loops included. Very reasonably priced a great support.
Epiphone IBG J45
Yamaha FS800
Guild Pilot Bass
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior Bass
Recording King Dirty 30's Mando
Frankensquier P Bass
Squier Bullet Telecaster
Old 06-06-2012, 04:06 PM

Greetings D and everyone,

Thank you all so much for your thoughtful replies! This is the first time I have participated in this forum. What a great group!

I have Windows 7.

In addition to the software, do you think I am ok with the Zoom R16 or is that overkill? Are their simpler recorders?

I did manage to figure out how to make a basic recording, but I am open to your suggestions.

Thanks again!
Mike

Last edited by MikeB1; 06-06-2012 at 04:15 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:03 AM

Mike:

The Zoom should be fine - from what I can tell, it is a 2 in 2 out device when you use it as an interface. That is 'ok' but not suitable if you plan to record multiple people at the same time.

Regarding software. Not to sound lofty, but I don't know the budget software world too much. Lap's comments about Mixcraft seem good to me. Essentially in a low priced audio software product there are some key things to look for (ASIO support, VST/DX support, CD import, CD burn, MP3 import/export, etc) that Mixcraft seems to do. In addition Mixcraft also has good routing and internal bounce (not sure if it does freeze) but in general as a sub $100 product it seems very good. I would compare it to Sonar's entry level products (Guitar Tracks, Essential) and Presonus's Studio One (not Studio One 'Free' which is pretty crippled compared to Mixcraft). Pro Tools entry level product is not worth comparing, since you'll need an iLok and that alone costs $49 at least.

Finally the software tool you select should have good community and vendor support. As a participant in several forums, I know there are some that are excellent and will assist you as you move from novice to advanced.

Remember, we never actually learn how to play the guitar ... we are always 'learning" how to play it.... recording is exactly the same.
Best

-D
Old 06-07-2012, 06:13 AM

Mike and DonM.....

Mixcraft does provide a freeze function and it also allows for voice over video so you can actually import video clips and provide a voice over commentary.

It also has all the funtions...ASIO, VST/DX, CD burn, etc......

The download trial version is fully functional for the trial period then, you lose the ability to do a final mixdown and burn to CD.
Epiphone IBG J45
Yamaha FS800
Guild Pilot Bass
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior Bass
Recording King Dirty 30's Mando
Frankensquier P Bass
Squier Bullet Telecaster
Old 06-08-2012, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchristo View Post
If youre looking for something easy, its audacity....
.cubase is NOT easy, you will get mad and shoot your computer if you use cubase
None of them are easy. Audacity is free, but still requires that you learn it. Audacity is very clunky, but what do you expect for free? Pro Tools is a lot more powerful and slick once you get the knack. Adobe Audition is different but does a nice job.

If you're on PC, try MixCraft. If you're on Mac try Garage Band. They still require that you LEARN something, but are a lot better than Audacity.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 06-11-2012, 10:51 AM

All of them are easy... if you just want to hear your recorded song. The difficulty comes with learning more and delving into the more complicated aspects of recording. In other words, it depends how professional you want your recordings to be.

I've been using Adobe Audition (formerly Cool Edit Pro) for a several years and it has never let me down. I think it's pretty intuitive and I haven't found something I want to do that it can't handle.

I would probably recommend Audacity, though, since it's free.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD