The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-10-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Player View Post
I started playing in '73 because I wanted to play Southern Man. That just seemed like such a cool jam. I still play it too. Needle & The Damage Done, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes, and some others.
Suite: Judy Blue Eyes is Stephen Stills. Young is not on it.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinetreebob View Post
That is true, I read an instructional article on Neil Young's acoustic guitar style in October 2017 Acoustic Guitar magazine. The G chord was discussed and the article demonstrated that he fingered the open G chord with finger 2, 3, and 4 his pinky on the high E string's third fret. He then proceeds to use his index finger to create different chords from that position. Here is the article:
http://acousticguitar.com/video-less...ingular-style/
Thanks for that link. Very interesting. I'm not the right person to weigh in on how technically accomplished Neil is as a guitar player, but absolutely he has a style all his own (like it or not, and I love it), and that's a great compliment to any artist.
Old 03-10-2019, 02:15 PM

I've been listening to and enjoying music forever. Hands down, the artist I've listened to the most has been Neil Young.
I have seen him in concert (alone and with CSNY) a number of times, dating back to 1974.
It's his songs (and style) that is ingrained in my head, and I still smile when I hear one of his performances or play a part of one of his songs on my guitar.
I learned early on to disassociate the musician from the person, especially after reading a bunch of rock star autobiographies or hearing their views on world affairs.
Keep on rockin' in the free world!
1977 Alvarez Yairi DY 57 / 2002 Martin DC-1E/ 2010 The Loar LH-700-VS/ 2012 Taylor Mini GS / 2015 Taylor 150e / 2015 Taylor 324ce SEB / 2018 Taylor 214e DLX / 2020 Taylor AD12e / 2021 Gibson J-185ce / 2022 Martin 000-15M
... and some electrics and such.
Old 03-10-2019, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinetreebob View Post
That is true, I read an instructional article on Neil Young's acoustic guitar style in October 2017 Acoustic Guitar magazine. The G chord was discussed and the article demonstrated that he fingered the open G chord with finger 2, 3, and 4 his pinky on the high E string's third fret. He then proceeds to use his index finger to create different chords from that position. Here is the article:
http://acousticguitar.com/video-less...ingular-style/
The Acoustic Guitar Magazine presenter proceeds to demo Neil Young's style but uses a Waterloo small body guitar and not a Martin D-28 or any Martin dreadnought--HelloOOooo ...
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 03-10-2019 at 03:03 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
presenter proceeds to demo Neil Young's style but uses a Waterloo small body guitar and not a Martin D-28 or any Martin dreadnought--HelloOOooo ...
A "style" doesn't require a brand. That's like saying you can't play Claptan without a Strat, or Pete Townsend without a Gibson Jumbo or Lindsey Buckingham without a Turner Model 1.
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 03-10-2019, 03:30 PM
AGF Sponsor

Neil's electric lead playing is funky and distinct. And his acoustic playing is equally idiosyncratic and catchy.

Great Thread,
Scott
Old 03-10-2019, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsDad View Post
Also...don't worry too much about having your guitar in tune before you begin.
Hahahaha. Truth! I’m a fan but...tuning isn’t his priority it seems. Listen to “Down By The River” on his live at Massey Hall 1971. He was all around that drop D...but never quite found it.

He is one of my favorites...perfect tuning or not.
Old 03-10-2019, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW63 View Post
A "style" doesn't require a brand. That's like saying you can't play Claptan without a Strat, or Pete Townsend without a Gibson Jumbo or Lindsey Buckingham without a Turner Model 1.
Of course, it doesn't ... but then again ...
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 03-10-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Neil's electric lead playing is funky and distinct. And his acoustic playing is equally idiosyncratic and catchy.

Great Thread,
Scott
Neil and Stephen Stills argued about each other's playing a few times. Stephen is one who must play technically sound and Neil plays.....................well. like Neil. That is what makes him difficult to copy sometimes.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:44 PM

When the Massey Hall recordings were released a few years ago I was reminded of how much of an influence he was on my acoustic style.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:39 PM

Neil Young was a huge musical influence for me. My older brother had all his albums (as of 1978) and played them relentlessly. I learned to play guitar largely by working through the Decade songbook (had all the songs from the triple disc album of the same name). He has always been willing to experiment - from Harvest to Trans to Neil and the Shocking Pinks and beyond. Like any successful artist, some of his stuff has been covered to death (Old Man, Needle, Heart of Gold.....) but some of the less covered stuff will always show up in one of my sets - Pocahontas, Captain Kennedy, Powderfinger....

He is an interesting person. He's into sailing, model railroads, pursuing a full size electric drive Lincoln and a different digital music format. Of course I may be more interesting too if I had the same commercial success (but his work is his art - I don't think he is following a formula or algorithm to generate songs just for commercial appeal). I read his autobiography Waging Heavy Peace a few years back. I'd recommend it to anyone who is a fan.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

Similar to Mandobart just above me, I grew up with Neil Young, and he's had a significant influence on me. I learned to play guitar with my "Neil Young - Easy Guitar" book, and my 13yo daughter used the same book to learn the chords on some of his songs. I absolutely love his restless spirit, which comes across in his songwriting, his constantly changing musical projects, and his inability to remain content and sit still. I've had the same issue throughout my life, so for me, it's actually an inspiration to always want to push the limits of what's possible.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloplay View Post
For example, "Hey Hey My My", one of my favs, is relatively easy to emulate. But to actually REPLICATE all the little shifts in volume and the way he can make individual notes sustain longer than others is no simple task.
Pretty sure that I have watched every youtube version, cover and lesson on this song.
While folks that I play it for seem to like it, I know I just don't sound like Neil...
Old 03-11-2019, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post
Pretty sure that I have watched every youtube version, cover and lesson on this song.
While folks that I play it for seem to like it, I know I just don't sound like Neil...
I know, right? Same here, I can play a pretty decent cover of it that people seem to really like, but I KNOW it doesn't have that "something" which only Neil seems to be able to bring with it.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonics101 View Post
Is it on the Massey recordings where Neil is always fiddling with tuning his guitar ?

To my ears, sometimes when he is playing in dropped tunings, it sounds like he is just a tad off.

But just being that tad bit off is classical Neil in my opinion.

Harmonics101
They didn't have guitar tuners in those days, tuning forks or perhaps a strobo tuner which need about four hours to warm up.

I wonder who can tune their guitar these day without electronics.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion