The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-18-2019, 08:18 PM

Wade--I believe the folks in Texas continued using that logo for at least a few years. I recall them exhibiting at the IBMA event in September of (I think) 1993. They were experimenting with new top bracing that was lighter, by way of a series of oval holes through them. Their theory was that tone/volume would improve greatly and structural integrity would not suffer. They put one with the new bracing in my hands to try out, and it was truly a powerful instrument. I would certainly have taken it home if I had the (again, as I recall) $1750 they wanted for it! I also remember that they were trying to sell one to a particular well-known Bluegrass musician, however he wanted them to give him one as an endorsement deal....Bob from Mossman was not at all interested in giving them away.

I have no idea what became of the Texas-based owners of Mossman.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:30 PM

Bogle, my guess is that they simply aged out. The sense I got when they bought the Mossman brand name and factory equipment from Scott’s ex-wife was that they were ten or fifteen years older than Scott. I’m a bit younger than Scott, and I just reached my mid-60’s, so if I’m correct about those guys’ ages that would put them in their late 70’s or early 80’s now.

I could be wrong, mind you, but in any event they’re not exactly spring chickens...

whm
Old 05-18-2019, 11:59 PM

Wade. That's great info, thanks.
Now I only have the mystery of the label placement and serial number scrambling. Too many fumes in the air that day?

Last edited by sexton; 05-19-2019 at 02:47 AM.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:03 AM

The best guy to ask is Scott Baxendale. He knows infinitely more about the subject than I do.

Baxendale Guitar
160 Winston Drive, Suite 2
Athens GA 30607

706-546-1116

[email protected]

Hours: M-F 11-6, Sat by appointment

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion