The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-06-2019, 09:04 PM

In addition to agreeing to everything Mycroft said, I would add the perspective that a custom build offers, in addition to owning the guitar at the end of the process, the experience of building it and personalizing it. This is true in other hobbies - aftermarket tuning for cars, custom built watercraft, commissioned artwork, highly customized houses.

Few of those things sell without meaningful depreciation at point of sale. But the owners enjoy the process of collaborating and having things built to their specification. So if you take the luthier's out the door price and subtract a monetary value equivalent to the joy and experience of building the instrument - which is after all not transferable - that accounts for some of the "loss" one would take. But it's only a "loss" if you got nothing out of the experience, and if that was going to be the case, maybe one should think twice, as the OP suggests!

However, I think it's possible to have enjoyed collaborating to build something, to try to achieve something specific through the talents of the artist, even if you don't own it forever.

Bashkin 00-12 Adi/Hog
Bashkin 0M-MS Swiss Moon/PRW(build thread)
Bashkin GC-12 Sitka/Koa
Carter-Poulsen J-Model German Select Spruce/MacEb
Fender MIJ Strat ('90) and 50s RW Tele ('19)
Martin 00-28c Spruce/BRW('67)
Martin M-36 (R) Sitka/EIR
Michaud O-R Cedar/Koa - New Build
Michaud J-R Sitka/MBW
K. Yairi RF-120 Spruce/EIR
KoAloha KTM-25 Koa/Koa
Yamaha G-231 Cedar/Hog ('71)
Old 08-06-2019, 09:43 PM

What about resale for a Custom Shop Martin — like some of our sponsors offer or some of us order — vs. a Standard model? I’m assuming the closer it is to a Standard in specs, the closer resale will be to a Standard.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
There is a world of difference between a "custom" guitar built in the Martin or Taylor "custom shop" and a true custom built guitar.
Bingo. I'd add that a custom guitar is not always the holy grail for all guitarists - only those who have an empty spot that production guitars don't fill.

If you look at a guitar purchase as a financial investment, then custom guitars are probably not the best place to be - resale value is all over the map, and more often will result in a financial loss. I'd find it hard to enjoy such an instrument in that scenario.

If you look at a guitar purchase as a creative adventure (that's my personal approach), then they can pay back every dollar and then some in life satisfaction - and that is priceless!

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 08-06-2019, 10:58 PM

Depends on the builder.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion