The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-06-2019, 03:31 PM

Default Pickup for the Grand Pacific

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcnbys View Post
I recently purchased a 517, and had this custom pickguard made (Holter Pickguards). I had it styled to replicate the R. Taylor Style 3 pickguard shape. I haven't actually applied it to the 517 yet. I tend to prefer pickguards and am a pretty heavy strummer. What do ya'll think??

Hey there, hope this finds you and I'm new to this whole forum.

I just purchased a 717 Grand Pacific and I will certainly put in a pickguard and Ii think the one you put on is beautiful.

But I also noticed that you have a pickup put in and I'm curious which one you have. I want to put one in but I didn't like the ES2 System that Taylor has. My first option was to put in a LR Baggs Anthem but it looks like with the new V-class bracing that it wont fit dear the sound hole. I know there are other options but I also would like something with a volume control. So what did you have put in there and how does it sound? Thanks!
Old 08-06-2019, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egraef View Post
Hey there, hope this finds you and I'm new to this whole forum.

I just purchased a 717 Grand Pacific and I will certainly put in a pickguard and Ii think the one you put on is beautiful.

But I also noticed that you have a pickup put in and I'm curious which one you have. I want to put one in but I didn't like the ES2 System that Taylor has. My first option was to put in a LR Baggs Anthem but it looks like with the new V-class bracing that it wont fit dear the sound hole. I know there are other options but I also would like something with a volume control. So what did you have put in there and how does it sound? Thanks!
It's an LR Baggs Anthem SL. I have one in my 717 also. It sounds great! The full Anthem won't fit, but the SL does.
Fender MIM Tele
Old 08-06-2019, 04:11 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpatkin View Post
The Holter looks great ... but then, I’ve never liked Taylor’s pick guards (I put a small teardrop style tor-tis from LMI on my 322 12 fret)
Taylor makes really cool stuff, and is a heckuva nice guy. I keep bugging him to get his website up and running. Good buddy of mine, and deserves all the success he's earned. Try him! Beautiful work and materials. No vested interest here.

scott memmer
Old 08-06-2019, 04:16 PM

Awesome, thanks guys.

Yeah, I'll look into the Anthem SL. I've also been told about the K&K Pure Mini and also the K&K Trinity as options. But good to know that the SL does fit.

I look forward to putting the pickguard on as well.

Yes, not having a website is pretty funny but at least he's not super tech savvy to cover up for a crappy product. Looks like he is solid on the product side and just needs more savvy marketing. Either way, I'll buy from him for sure.

thanks
Old 08-06-2019, 05:56 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Taylor makes really cool stuff, and is a heckuva nice guy. I keep bugging him to get his website up and running. Good buddy of mine, and deserves all the success he's earned. Try him! Beautiful work and materials...

scott memmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by egraef View Post
Awesome, thanks guys.

I look forward to putting the pickguard on as well...I'll buy from him for sure.

thanks
Yep...Taylor is the way to go. He made this one for my 317. Haven’t put it on yet because I like the naked look and the jury is still out on whether I need a pickguard. But if I decide I do this beauty is a top contender.

Old 08-06-2019, 06:31 PM
AGF Sponsor

I'm quite a pain in the derriere. I've been working with him now for a custom pickguard for one of my Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500Ms. These are such wonderful all-solid-wood guitars for the money (about $400 for a clean used one), but whoever designed that pickguard must have left his brain at home that morning. To me it is hideous and a total non-starter.

Anyway, we're closing in on the holy grail, and he's been super to work with. Tell him I sent you.

Scott Memmer
Old 08-06-2019, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
I'm quite a pain in the derriere. I've been working with him now for a custom pickguard for one of my Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500Ms. These are such wonderful all-solid-wood guitars for the money (about $400 for a clean used one), but whoever designed that pickguard must have left his brain at home that morning. To me it is hideous and a total non-starter.

Anyway, we're closing in on the holy grail, and he's been super to work with. Tell him I sent you.

Scott Memmer
Who ever designed that pick guard should be deported (although I'm not sure which country it would be from)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion