The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 04-15-2023, 07:58 PM

Default Special Squareneck capo

Ok, here is what I am looking for. I want a squareneck capo that can pass one string through it so it sounds from the nut.I was thinking of tuning to open c, 151351. Then I could capo at the 2nd fret, making Open D. Except I want the 5th string to pass through the capo to the nut, making 161351, or Open D6.

I guess I need a capo that I could modify. Suggestions?

I must drink on this...

Last edited by Mycroft; 04-17-2023 at 11:21 AM.
Old 04-16-2023, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

You might try contacting Charlie’s Slide Pro Capos. His custom capos are $115.
https://charliescapo.com

I bought one for an 8-string square neck.

I think you might have problems with the non-capoed pass through string hitting parts of the capo and not ringing true.

I think you could modify a Shubb squareneck capo by filing the lower brass part to make a gap and then modifying the top rubberish part.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_2649.jpeg (46.2 KB, 42 views)
Old 04-16-2023, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Ok, here is what I am looking for. I want a squareneck capo that can pass one string through it so it sounds from the nut.I was thinking of tuning to open c, 151351. Then I could capo at the 2nd fret, making Open D. Except I want the 5th string to pass through the capo to the nut, making 161351, or Open C6.

I guess I need a capo that I could modify. Suggestions?

I must drink on this...
I think what you want to end up with is open D6, not C6 as it shows in the highlighted part?

Assuming that to be the case, probably the best way to get there would be to retune from DADF#AD to DBDF#AD or DADF#AB. It's a workaround, but for lap steel and/or dobro players, workarounds are the name of the game.
Old 04-17-2023, 10:12 AM

You could probably do this with a hipshot double shot. Thought that would be an expensive solution...

Various stringed instruments
Old 04-17-2023, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine Cone View Post
You might try contacting Charlie’s Slide Pro Capos. His custom capos are $115.
https://charliescapo.com

I bought one for an 8-string square neck.

I think you might have problems with the non-capoed pass through string hitting parts of the capo and not ringing true.

I think you could modify a Shubb squareneck capo by filing the lower brass part to make a gap and then modifying the top rubberish part.
Given how they are constructed, I don't think that the Charlie's could be modified in the way that I am looking for. (or the Beard or several other similar designs) I have one of Charlie's Pro Capos, and do not see how t make it work (I have one of his tone bars, too, which it looks like are now being outsourced)

So far the only squareneck capo that looks like it might be properly modified is the Shubb.
Old 04-17-2023, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
I think what you want to end up with is open D6, not C6 as it shows in the highlighted part?

Assuming that to be the case, probably the best way to get there would be to retune from DADF#AD to DBDF#AD or DADF#AB. It's a workaround, but for lap steel and/or dobro players, workarounds are the name of the game.
Yes, D6.

Yes, I could retune. But my lazy lizard brain is looking for a way to do it without retuning. Also: I am doing this on a Weissenborn, so neck stress is more of an issue than it is on a Dobro.
Old 04-17-2023, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmillbern View Post
You could probably do this with a hipshot double shot. Thought that would be an expensive solution...
I've looked at these. But I am playing a Weissenborn, so could not really mount it.

(Sigh...) I may just have to buy another Weissenborn...
Old 04-17-2023, 11:31 AM

Smile

I certainly don't want to discourage the purchase of an additional Weissenborn, but would retuning one string one step really be that much more onerous than putting on/taking off a capo?

Last edited by frankmcr; 04-17-2023 at 04:33 PM.
Old 04-17-2023, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
I certainly don't want to discourage the purchase of an additional Weissenborn, but would retuning one string one step really be that much more onerous than putting on/taking off a capo?
Why do something simply when you can do the same thing in a complicated and convoluted manner?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments