The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 05-29-2019, 07:48 PM

Default Ukulele Action - Recommended String Height?

Just got a new tenor Ukulele today; a Lanikai MA-CET. A decent lower end uke with a decent Fishman pickup system and tuner. It has wider string spacing which they say is good for guitar players. I'm just starting to play a bit, so I didn't want to spend the big bucks yet.

The action seems on the high side at the 12th fret to me. My gauge says it's .090, 7/64ths or 3mm at the 12th using the three different scales on my action height tool.

What is a good string height at the 12th fret??

Thanks!
Old 05-30-2019, 06:29 AM

obviously to each his own but generally, more than 3mm is high, 3mm is normal, and according to The Ukulele Store (HMS) 2.5 is most preferred and that’s what they do on their complete setup.
Old 05-30-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnyf View Post
obviously to each his own but generally, more than 3mm is high, 3mm is normal, and according to The Ukulele Store (HMS) 2.5 is most preferred and that’s what they do on their complete setup.
Sounds reasonable, one of my ukes has about 1mm and that is WAY too low for vigorous playing, so I really need a new saddle and hope that intonation won't go out too much.
Old 05-30-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnyf View Post

My other tenor has 2.5mm and that feels right. I’ll do a bit of sanding.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments